Best Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles

Fair enough, I will have to expand a bit.

Honestly, one of the best burritos I’ve ever had was in SF a couple months ago from Senor Sisig. Their regular sisig is great, but I got an tocino California burrito as a Sunday special. Legit one of the best burritos I’ve ever had even though it’s like fusion of fusion fused with fusion or some shit, still, sometimes that results in some apparently miraculous shit. Might not look as perfect as it was in the photo, but it was, as the kids say “bomb”.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_ka-LQk0OI/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

1 Like

Hahaha! That looks incredible!

Looks just like a typical San Diego style California Burrito.

1 Like

Yeah, it is, except it has Filipino tocino in it, and vinegar sauce. But it’s just as good, hell, I would even say maybe slightly better (to me anyway) than the Cali burritos in SD. They totally nailed every element. I wish they would open up shop in LA.

Like if SS’s burrito at carne asada in it, on a blind taste test, no way would anyone in SD guess it wasn’t from an SD place. I don’t know why that isn’t possible for someone to bring to LA… =/

To actually feel like we’re in Mexico we always go to Guelaguetza so that’s my vote

and it’s free BYOB… i’ve hated on the stinker for years and just had a lot of fun drinking there

:slight_smile: This is the place we go to most often with coworkers since it’s close enough for lunch. It replaced Chipotle to my white boy coworkers since I took them to Anaya. Good shout. Love that place. SOPES!!!

Wish I knew this over christmas break. Stayed in the mission and had a hell of a time finding even average mexican. Thought it was going to be everywhere.

is that a truck? i saw them posted up right in a pedestrian area at union square on christmas… pretty sweet… wish i was hungry but 4505 burgers and bbq satisfied me

Super happy to hear that. Anaya is like…idk…infinitely better than Chipolte.

Honestly, I keep thinking I am hyping it up in my own mind every time I eat there, I always think “no way it really tasted that good…it was just like, beans and rice, and tortillas…” but then every time I go back, as soon as I take a bite of the food I have this same moment where reality blurs, and I kind of go googly-eyed, and my body goes limp with ecstasy, and all I can do is kind of fall into the hedonistic abyss of their food…I do not understand it.

The food is not inventive, or even authentic as far as I can tell…this is the reason I assume it gets little press, but holy fuck do they understand flavor. If they were open late at night I would go there 2-3 times a week probably… I need to go get the shrimp burrito…and chicken enchiladas…I have never had a truly great enchilada, but I suspect that is the place that has them. Cant. Fucking. Wait.

Yeah, SS is a truck, well, like 4 trucks.

By LA standards? lol Nah…

But if you stay in the Mission again and want to experience some tremendous, and intellectual Mexican, you should go to Californios. For me, best Mexican restaurant in California.

1 Like

Of the restaurants in the SF Bay Area that have tasting menus, a collection of El Bulli cookbooks, and French Laundry alumni running the front of the house, Californios is surely the most Mexican.

1 Like

With whom is it competing for Mexican-ness in that realm? Or is that the joke you’re making?

oh no… it’s legit… bigtime… corn chowder is great too… ribs… the bread pudding … guava flan.

my coworkers usually go really simple with chicken mole burritos and those are really good.

owner/chef is really sweet as well.

What? Corn chowder? Ribs? Bread Pudding? I don’t recall seeing anything like that on Anaya’s menu… Can you link me? I feel quite confused…

Yes on every single one of those items. I’ve liked everything I’ve had there. Sometimes, I’ll just get the sampler platter with an order of guac and chips. Gives me a taste of everything.

1 Like

How about they just bring in regular CA burritos first

blew my mind when I moved to LA and literally couldn’t find a place anywhere nearby with one on the menu.

CA burritos really are criminally underrepresented in LA, but they’re around if you look. Have you tried Taco Love on Sunset? Tacos Por Favor also does a decent approximation, but Taco Love is the real deal.

WTH is that?