Best Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles

I am surprised there aren’t more places like Taco Love in LA.

I agree they are a decent approximation, but they kind of fail on the carne asada for whatever reason, still best in LA probably.

I’d be happy if there were good carne asada fries… there is simply nothing as flavorful with as great of fries as La Puerta or Lolita’s in LA for some reason. Baffles me.

WTH is what?

A California burrito? In San Diego that means french fries instead of rice and beans.

Oh jeez. Ok thanks.

4 Likes

Where is that from?

San Diego.

Sorry everyone, I didn’t intend to mislead

my understanding was carne asada & fries. the albertos chain offers them.

Reporting live from Anaya

http://imgur.com/zjqPti2

5 Likes

that looks amazing.

So envious! Those are flautas and sopes??

1 Like

the sampler has sopes, taquitos and flautas… the potato flautas are a revelation!

BREAKING NEWS!!!

There has been a marginal price increase on the menu. Chips and Salsa though (some of the best around) are now free.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are trying to attract more of a sit down crowd Which makes sense because the West Adams crowd has really embraced them (as they have Revolutionario) . They even recently hosted a party of 20 and everyone left quite happy.

–Dommy!

If you like sopes, theirs is one of the best in the city. Housemade and SO tender.

–Dommy!

1 Like

I’m going to add my dissenting opinion here:

I did not have a good experience at Anaya the other day. Part of it was that the incredibly slow kitchen put me in a bad mood - it took them fully 45 minutes after I ordered for them to bring me four tacos (there were people there but I wouldn’t say it was busy) - but I just wasn’t impressed with the food or the QPR.

I went with tacos so that I could try several meats and salsas, and because of the housemade tortillas. Those tortillas, it turned out, were good, but they were by far the best part of the meal - I found most of the meats unimpressive, and the salsas were disappointing too. The carne asada was the exception, smoky and great. Nothing was notably bad, but I sat there for upwards of an hour and paid $12 for mediocre tacos, and then I went home and made myself a sandwich. Not great.

(I also did not receive chips or salsa, and had to ask for a bottle with my tacos)

1 Like

have you tried the carne asada fries at My Taco in Highland Park? I haven’t personally had them, but they’re a J Gold favorite and I do really like the barbacoa there.

1 Like

That’s shocking. I’ve been there two dozen times and never encountered a wait, yesterday was around 7 minutes from order to food. Something was up in the kitchen that day I guess.

Is the poper texture of a sope tender? I confess I rarely order them, as I don’t totally know what to look for.

Most restaurants use premade sopes which are tough and chewy. Making a Sope fresh is not easy. It has to be substantial enough to hold all the topping, but tender enough to take a bit from and yet not mushy so that it to falls apart.

–Dommy!

It also needs to have a little crispness on the outside and a nice tender inside. One of the best sopes in so cal right now is at Chef Javier Plascencia’s Bracero in San Diego (sorry off topic). Their Surf & Turf Shrimp and Bone Marrow sopes are outrageously good. Perhaps one of the best things I have had in the last year or so. Maybe not so pretty to look at, but F’n delectable.

BTW Bracero is a James Beard nominee for Best New Restaurant

1 Like