Best Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles

I have no idea…

AGREED! I love their asada, great smokiness. Crispy carnitas. This place has become one of my favorites.

If you can get to NoHo in the afternoon, not easy for most employed folk, it’s worth it. NoHo has two full bars to drink margaritas while waiting. You can order full menu at bar as well.

Van Nuys doesn’t have the bars.

Sol Y Luna is owned by the Las Fuentes people who also own Melody’s Kitchen.

ah. thank you.

Also Senor Sol in Northridge.

Yes, thank you! I always forget about Señor Sol!

1 Like

They are comparing Tex-Mex to Mexican American. I would not say Home State is a good rendition of great Tex-Mex! The Emperor has no clothes!

1 Like

Adding Amor y Tacos in Cerritos to the list based on my visit this weekend.

We should make some sort of LA Mexican restaurant March Madness bracket…

4 Likes

well shit… i just can’t stop adding more to this thread.

ANAYA. Favorite Torta for me without need to drive to East LA. Fantastic Al Peezee

5 Likes

Lupitas in Cypress Park

It’s a locals joint and hipster-free zone. I loved the scrambled eggs with cactus, the beans are rich and homily, and the menudo is perfect.

El Huarachito in Lincoln Heights
I guess I didn’t shoot a pic, but the Chilaquiles are some of the best I had

1 Like

what’s 'at mean?

al pastor

1 Like

Lot of random Anaya love in here so…

The magical Huevos Rancheros at Anaya remain the best in the city, though I need to go try Gjusta’s still. Everything incredibly flavorful, and just beautiful in simplicity. Tortillas hot and fluffy with great chew, yolky eggs, ranchero sauce bursting with umami…everything about this plate of food is incredible in some way including the beans and rice, which manage to be more flavorful than any other taqueria to my palate.

And the lovely diablo sauce completes the picture by adding heat and tang, although the dish doesn’t technically need it.

2 Likes

Thank the lard.

7 Likes

I agree, but feel it must be something more than simply using lard. If that was the only secret, surely everyone would be doing it by now?? haha

Curious how this stacks up with El Huarachito.

Carnitas Los Reyes in Orange had the best refried beans in LA/OC. Too bad they had a fire and haven’t reopened yet.

Their refried beans were destination worthy IMO.

1 Like

Any photos of the El Huarachito version? Do they make their own tortillas?

Yes they have handmade corn tortillas. It is odd though, they have regular packaged corn tortillas and handmade for their tacos. I always get the handmade obviously.

I don’t have a picture on this phone but it is not much eye candy. Literally looks like eggs with sauce on top IIRC.

I was just curious because I thought El Huarachitos version was pretty tasty.

I haven’t been in some time, but El Sinaloense had pretty luscious refried beans. Lots of real, rendered lard in those.

1 Like