Best of 2 Chinese Specialties: Peking Duck and XLB?

Sure but sometimes you have the hankering and want something to scratch the itch. If there’s a passable version that I can grab quickly I’m doing it. Sometimes waiting another two weeks until I have time to drive out to SGV to get the great ________ dish is worse than just having a watered down version to quell the shakes.

That and made with lots of love. I had an aunt who slaved over the stove and put lots of love in her dishes whenever we visited. Let me tell you, we appreciated her time but I learned to eat heartily before we arrived and strategically pick around the dishes. Because she put so much love into her dishes, they were all overcooked lumps of meat and vegetables devoid of flavor.

5 Likes

we each have our own limits and i certainly am not trying to dictate mine onto others.

i’ve been reading reviews of david chang’s news series ugly delicious, including interviews of david chang, and he made a comment about classism/elitism while defending his love for domino’s pizza and i think he makes a valid point; food has nostalgic value - he mentions eating domino’s while watching football with his brother on sundays as being the best part of the week growing up. if part of one’s life experience includes some sort of ritual featuring an otherwise unremarkable eating establishment or dish, that should be respected. if one grew up going to PF changs for special occasions, there’s value in that for that particular person - for them, it’s comfort food. it is what it is.

3 Likes

Thanks and I agree. I guess my point is that when a site is, overall, so non-discriminating, it’s hard to use the opinions. What I will do with an unfamiliar place is then go to their site and study the menu. And see if I can find any other writeups.

1 Like

I had a related question - does anyone know restaurants in LA that serve good chunbing pancakes that go with peking duck (and also mu shoo pork)?

Every restaurant where I order peking duck or mu shoo serves much thicker pancakes, more like tortillas. I am looking for pancakes like in this video
Spring Pancakes Recipe

Does anyone have any recommendations? Bonus points if they are near Santa Monica :slight_smile:

It has been a while but Ji Rong’s were on-point in the past
https://www.yelp.com/biz/ji-rong-peking-duck-rosemead

1 Like

Welcome, Richard. The San Gabriel Valley restaurants that specialize in Peking/Beijing duck serve the traditional thin-style pancakes: Ji Rong (as CiaoBob mentioned), Happy Duck House and Duck House all serve those.

2 Likes

On the Westside the only place I’ve had Peking duck is Meizhou Dongpo in Century City. Don’t know if Capital Seafood in Beverly Hills has it.

1 Like

I’ve eaten Peking Duck at Capital Seafood in BH, but they serve it with the buns, not the wraps.

2 Likes