Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

Oh yeah @LAgirl… I made sure they put the chicken on top of the rice :yum: .

2 Likes

So glad you enjoyed it, @TheCookie! And great report!

1 Like

I’m not seeing nearly enough aji sauce on there.

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Oh nice! You finally tried Pollo Ala Brasa for the first time? Glad you liked it. :slight_smile:

It’s just a great affordable wood smoked roast chicken, that we’ve found to be tasty.

1 Like

Ooops. I hadn’t put it on the chicken yet. They only had the yellow, not the green. It was probably the one thing I prefer at El Pollo Inka (Hermosa), the aji sauces. They purée them more and the yellow one has a touch of creaminess. But that’s splitting hairs. My husband preferred Pollo a La Brasa’s sauce - it’s hotter. We really enjoyed the meal!

The El Pollo Inka in Lawndale has a wood-fired rotisserie - or maybe I should hedge and say the did at least a while ago.

Lawndale? I didn’t realize they had so many locations. I always wonder if they’re also associated w/Chicken Shack in some way. It’s odd to have 2 Peruvian places in Hermosa less than a mile apart, and the food is practically identical. Hmmm. A former employee now rival maybe?

I usually find meter parking directly across the street on 8th st. facing Western–but I typically go there early on Saturday afternoons so I’ve never had a problem parking.

I usually find parking for Pollo ala Brasa on Oxford Street or in the big grocery lot across from the Oxford Hotel.

I wonder why they still haven’t built out their restaurant located east of the shack I feel like it’s been under construction for the last 5 years.

1 Like

So glad you got to try Pollo Ala Brasa Western!

Now you gotta head over to Pico Union to Dino’s!!!
My favorite fries are soggy Dino’s Fries.

2 Likes

Good question. I thought they would open up the new space years ago.

1 Like

@TheCookie employees jumping ship and starting their own gig always possible.I’m not a lawyer but unless a non-compete clause was in their contract, an employee is free to do what they wwant with what they learned while employed.

The place that comes to mind is Lido Bakery on Sepulveda in MB. The family that owns the bakery once worked for Sweet Lady Jane. Supposedly the owners at SLJ weren’t very appreciative of the employees who finally left, knew the recipes by memory, and started their own bakery making a lot of their goods - mostly cakes - that were practically identical to SLJ.

1 Like

Yep, this was Sunday late afternoon, really busy. Not one meter available. I parked behind the foot massage place on the other side of the cross street. I told them I’d only be 10 minutes and they said fine.

Is that what that’s about? I saw the bigger restaurant and figured it was the spot. But only the little joint was open. It’s a confusing set up, no parking lot, and all that amusing wood activity :confused:.

[quote=“bulavinaka, post:215, topic:3741”]
Supposedly the owners at SLJ weren’t very appreciative of the employees
[/quote] That’s interesting. I’ve been going to SLJ for a long time. Sometimes I do notice a certain amount of tension in the place, and they get mixed reviews on the service.

Yeah @JeetKuneBao. I’m realizing how much I don’t know about hole-in-the-wall places… Some right under my own nose, so to speak.

Yeah the backside of the shack used to be a parking lot but they made room for all the wood and the new building but it’s never been built. You can always go a little further on 8th street (east) and there’s parking somtimes right about a block away at meters or in the neighborhood.

You can always go to Pollo el Brasero on Pico too which has better street parking options since you can park right on the street. They do wood fired rotisserrie peruvian style chicken along with other favorites like lomo saltdo and pollo aguadito

2281 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90006

Oh wait. Stop the presses. I’m going to delete that. It wasn’t Pollo El Brasero. I’ve had and like their chicken. The place I’m talking about is Con Sabor A Peru on Venice & Redondo. See how rumors get started? Shame on me.

2 Likes

Sounds good.