Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

[quote=“Bookwich, post:258, topic:3741”]
The always refreshing cup o’ fruit, at parks and corners near you. $5
[/quote]That’s a good one. There’s a guy on San Vicente & Fairfax who sells coconuts with a straw inside and bags of sliced mango w/lime & Tajin. I’m going to get some next time.

1 Like

Good to know. I do love BF’s fruit department, sometimes even better than Wholefoods. But they’re just so expensive. You always know where the good finds are. I’ve been going to Smart & Final a lot more since your post.

Don’t go linus. It’s not as much fun without you.

Thank you! Always a pleasure to interact with you.

TheCookie:
to add to your comment about the Bristol Farms’ produce dept

1. i concede that they offer few “bargains,” but with picking and choosing, you can get much better quality produce at competitive prices.
    (e.g. all their romaine lettuce is organic, and they are priced at about $1.50/head)
    AND
  2. they are happy to help you if you want
    for example, it is way too difficult for me to cut those hard butternut squashes in half lengthwise (so that i can copy the squash dukkah that is served at moruno)–every week the produce guys at bristol farms cut a few of them up for me.

also, when i make baked/roasted cabbage, the cabbage needs to be cut in wedges THROUGH THE HARD CORE something that my rotator cuffs will not allow me to do.
the bristol farms produce guys do this for me too.
also, i like it that their cabbage is organic.

for me, the additonal service and the fact that so much of their produce is organic makes it a better buy even if it is not priced more cheaply

4 Likes

These are great things. I will definitely take advantage of the service. You often think of a butcher doing these type of things for customers, but not the produce guys. Thanks!

1 Like

while reviewing this old thread, i noticed that no one mentioned the hwe dup bap lunch special at Hwal Uh Kwang Jang in ktown.

i can remember when it was only $6.99. i think it’s $8.99 now. includes a bowl of rice & banchan on the side.

5 Likes

I also submit the Chargha House Lunch Special posted in the South Asian section 6.99 for Tandoor Chicken, Beef Kabob, Chicken curry, Nann, veggies and Rice (yelp photo)

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/abV9l_JiWj7ThcZypQTt1Q/o.jpg

6 Likes

IHOP’s 59th Year Anniversary
59-cent Pancakes today 7am - 7pm

1 Like

Fig at the Fairmont in Santa Monica. They do Fig at Five daily where much of the menu is half-priced from 5-6 pm only. Great food and very pleasant dining by the pool.

3 Likes

The Original Pancake House…all this for $11

12 Likes

Jeez, this all looks so good. Is that Chicken Fried Steak? And Eggs?!!!

I want that whole table.

I would not be able to move for days… but I would be happy!

1 Like

Is that really a lot of food?

It’s just chicken fried steak, two fried eggs, and some pancakes (a double stack)? Oh and a couple of strips of bacon.

Have you seen our Bang Bang thread … those guys would consider this an amuse bouche

4 Likes

You so crazy.

1 Like

Yeah!

2 Likes

I’d call it average for some in this crowd. Last time I was there, I had the corned beef hash, two eggs, blueberry pancakes and a full order of the bacon. I was feeling peckish a couple hours later.

2 Likes

Jase -

Wow. I envy you!

It makes for big grocery bills and as I get older, I do have to be diligent in working out.

1 Like

Ipse -

I know for many of our food warriors - that’s a snack. Yay them!

But I’m five feet tall, and even in college I could not have managed that whole plate!

That said, I have many a female friend who, to manage their weight has said “Oh I’ve given up carbs and I feel SO much better!”

Really? Better without a slice of toast? Or a bit of pasta? Or rice?

I, I… I just can’t do that. And I’m fine with that!

2 Likes