Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

I’ve known a few slender small females that have astonishing metabolism and capacity. Frankly the biggest challenge is changing your lifelong habits as you get older and body changes.

But yeah, I can’t give up carbs.

Jase -

Kudos to those tiny and lucky gals.

I’ve added in Pilates (in addition my normal walks) to handle not being 29 anymore.

But carbs? Don’t have to have them 24/7. But right now, don’t want to give them up completely, either! They are just too much fun : )

1 Like

PS, while we are talking about carbs and good deals - I can’t wait to indulge in the happy hour at THIS place! A chicken dodger dog, and onion rings and sake? I’m in!

(Click, then scroll down to the happy hour menu.)

1 Like

With a name like Happybaker, I’m sure you enjoy them a lot! I love carbs, almost impossible to have a meal without them. Probably also an offshoot of being poor growing up where you stretched a little meat with a lot of rice and sauce. I could stretch one piece of chicken with a huge portion of rice to make sure I was full.

1 Like

Me too

How funny. I was trying to explain the concept of gluttony to the boy yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You need to show, not tell. Time for a field trip!

1 Like

Lol, FTC meet up may also possibly work. :wink:

2 Likes

There lamb shank is pretty fantastic and only about $14 I believe. Comes with 2 large shanks. Very tender.

India Sweets House. Chole Batura is 5. this is before adding all the toppings that need adding

Jase -

“With a name like Happybaker, I’m sure you enjoy them a lot!”

Yup!

Just had a visit from a dear friend from college who said “I remember you used to really like baking coffeecake.” Me, whipping out a prewrapped portion of blueberry buttermilk coffeecake for her to take with her “Still do!”

Plus the every day after school snack for my grandmother? Coming from a big poor family? A pot of boiled potatoes that everyone got a bowl of. So I am kind of genetically trained for carbs ; )

6 Likes

Hey I remember that too!

(Waits for blueberry buttermilk coffeecake to miraculously appear)

4 Likes

Okay Bigmouth, you gave me my morning laugh!

I do still have two pieces of that coffeecake left but there’s no one here to give it to! I guess I’ll just have to freeze it :sob:

2 Likes

I know. I love the coffee cake story.

2 Likes

Anytime you need a volunteer to help absorb some excess inventory, FTC has a private messaging system, unlike CH. #justsaying

Mom’s way of stretching out the food budget was hot dog fried rice. Two of your cheap supermarket dogs in a small dice, lots of rice, an onion and a scrambled egg. Fry up the whole batch, it made for a hearty after school snack for a teenage boy who played sports and had a ridiculous appetite.

Maybe we need sot say happybaker’s name three times in a row?

Listening to a good story calls for a good coffee cake

5 Likes

Jase. And Bigmouth. And TheCookie.

Oh you guys :blush:

I did not realize how consistent coffeecake was in my life until my friends comment - and my “Why I have some right here!” (I did make a pan for her but had not realized that I always make it for folks I care about.)

Then I remembered that, if I am going to a dinner party where I know the hosts are cooking all day (versus delivery or catering – not that there is anything wrong with either) I try to make a coffeecake and then wrap a few big fresh slices. I then bring those to the hosts (along with a “real” hostess gift) and tell them “Hide them. These are for you. So that tomorrow morning when you wake up, happy but really tired, you’ll have coffeecake ready, and you can have that, with coffee or tea, relax, and know that you threw a great party.”

I’ll try to shine up my PM skills so that I am ready for you peeps, the next time I have excess. And I can always post recipes…

8 Likes

Your name is perfect!!!

1 Like

Wow. Hot dog fried rice. Makes TOTAL sense.

And of course now the trendy thing is bacon fried rice - not that different!

BTW, during the depression, my grandmother made my mom a dish that she missed so, that I did much research and you know what it was? Baloney goulash. Considering that her home state Ohio features fried baloney sandwiches, I should not have been surprised but still

Another thing - many jews eat fried salami and eggs for brunch. In a pinch, I’ve made fried baloney and eggs or, with tons of fresh cracked paper, fried chopped hot dogs and eggs. And I am not a teenaged, athletic boy!

(Hey, I was too tired to leave the house and it was THERE. )

Anyway, guess it’s proof, we are all more alike than not : )

5 Likes

You guys are making me want to buy some baloney, wonder bread, american cheese, mayo & yellow mustard. And uhh @ipsedixit? Your Miracle Whip goes well with this type of cuisine.

Yes, I know, we’re talkin’ fried baloney. But since we’re talkin’ baloney, I figured to add my favorite preparation.

Or we could just scratch the baloney and add liverwurst instead! :yum:

3 Likes

Tried it. Some doors slammed and Bloody Mary appeared in a mirror but still no delicious blueberry buttermilk coffee cake. :slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes