Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

I was never too big a fan of that place. I always found the food too sweet and pretty middling all around. The folks I dine with semi-regularly agree and we stopped going years ago.

We live on the West side and also look for inexpensive meals out frequently for a quick hit. Some good options already suggested and won’t repeat. Elaborating on a couple of the suggestions and adding on a few.

Benny’s taco and rotisserie chicken. The tacos and rest of mexican food is only ok, but the chicken is pretty good. The daily half chicken meal special is very good QPR

Ekkamai Thai. The veggie spring rolls with the homemade peanut butter sauce is tasty and good value. I’m a meat eater but an order of those fills me up for a lunch. They lunch specials are also a good deal, green curry has gotten good raves from a few people here.

Don Felix taqueria. An oft overlooked neighborhood place. Good birria, the short rib plate is very tasty and a great place for a quick inexpensive bite.

Rutt’s Hawaiian. The royales. Ask for it to be made with fried rice instead of white rice. The king is a ridiculous portion. Eat half, save the other half for a lunch another day.

Sunny Grill. Their gyros are pretty good. Good QPR too.

Tacomiendo. A more popular hole in the wall. Good all around menu. Been pretty happy with just about anything ordered from them.

El Jacalito Oaxaqueno. Another hole in the wall mom and pop place. Don’t expect any frills. Their chips and salsa are good. Solid clayudas too.

Mega Pizza. A Mediterranean take on pizza and they have some solid kabobs and wraps. Their QPR is ridiculous, I don’t know how they manage to get away with their prices.

Ronnie’s diner. Solid neighborhood diner. Always check out their specials. The chorizo bowl is liked by many on this board.

Bkk101 Thai. The beef noodle soup is very good. We like most of their noodle soup dishes. Wife loves the Tom Kah chicken ladle soup… The large is a huge portion for only $10. the balance of flavors is very good. Their pork jerky is pretty solid too.

Gravlax. Their happy hour plates and drinks are great for end of day catchup.

Cemitas Truck parked by Northgate market on Inglewood on weekdays. Very good cemitas milanesa. Now up to a whopping $6. Huge sandwich, wonderful bread, the fried beef cutlet is well executed and they pile on the oaxacan string cheese and avocado on top of it. The red hot sauce smeared inside can be sneaky hot.

Those are some of our standard West side choices when we want a quick inexpensive meal.

4 Likes

That’s funny @Jemange. The sweetness to the spicy Jerk is what I liked :blush:.

I’m not sure where you live. But you might like Wi’ Jammin’ on Pico & Redondo. Straight up Jamaican. Savory, spicy Jerk w/hint of yellow curry. Decent oxtails and patties too.

I think you’re on the west side too? Have you tried The Jerk Spot or Front Page Grille? Front Page is better but their hours are tighter, M-F only open till 7.

I’ve only been to The Jerk Spot a couple of times. But the jerk chicken is solid.

This past weekend we finally made it to Ackee and I loved their oxtail, curry goat and jerk chicken.

3 Likes

I’m more Miracle Mile area. But have read a lot about Jerk Spot.

Ahhh… Just looked up Ackee. That’s close enough. Will check it out. Thanks!

I’m not sure if they’re good enough to be destination. Ackee and Front Page would be better choices if you’re going to drive for Jamaican.

1 Like

I live in Silver Lake. Thanks for the suggestion. Will have to give it a shot.

Love jerk chicken but never have been able to find the real stuff out here. There’s always been some sort of spin or “unique take” on it that, in my opinion, bastardized one of the world’s great chicken dishes.

SOLD!!! :tada::truck::truck::truck::articulated_lorry::articulated_lorry::articulated_lorry::truck::truck::truck:

1 Like

We prefer their neighbor Island Fresh (the whole corner is a Jamaican complex). It is mostly a seafood spot that sells some good Jerk Chicken too. It’s clean and the owner is professional and friendly.

I don’t think you’ll find Wi’ Jammin’ (the Pico location, not the “cafe” on Redondo) bastardized. In fact I don’t go anymore. It’s a little too sketchy for me. Not the location, but the place. They’re so not trying to be anything other then what they are. But it has that savory spice you might prefer. My brother really likes it. Really, neither is destination worthy from Silver Lake. Just if you’re in the neighborhood.

Food at places like Cha Cha Cha have that bit of Caribbean, tropical fruit sweetness I prefer. More like a Caribbean pepper sauce, than a straight up jerk. Funny, I liked the sangria because it wasn’t too sweet. But I don’t know if it’s good anymore. They’ve been there for years.

You ever tried Derrick’s Jamacian by USC?

Thank you as always.
Another source I neglected to mention is Smart and Final. Along with tubs of nacho cheese sauce, and bags of frozen breaded prawns they carry many reasonably priced quality items. Its the only place around I can still get King Arthur bread flour, as well as large bags of King Arthur all-purpose. S&F stocks an excellent semi-sweet baking chocolate, and a good selection of Mexican ingredients including very fresh spices. They even have French butter. Their bulk items are fresh, and there is a large selection. Stay away from their beef as it is tough, Select grade and their poultry is typical mass - market crap. Pork is Farmer John’s, typical supermarket stuff, but for a better price. Produce is surprisingly good, and often you can find unusual ethnic items such as fresh garbanzo beans and tamarind pods.

Was never a fan of their dosas etc. back in the day. It was a North Indian place and that was the stuff that was very good in a rustic kind of way (like proper dhaba food). The South Indian stuff was sort of a sop to customers. It may have well improved on that front since then, I suppose.

Thanks for the reminder about Front Page Grille. Have you tried Will’s Jamaican before? That’s also on my list. I tried Derrick’s at La Tijera and Centinela awhile back and thought it was just OK. Any favorites for ackee & saltfish?

Not a burger, but the roasted veggies sandwich at Bread Lounge is pretty amazing. Get it on a Jerusalem Bagel and, honestly, things just don’t seem that bad in the world.

Favorite canned wine right now is by Field Recordings. Tall boys.

3 Likes

STOP THE PRESSES:

I forgot the main cheap-eats place of ours. Belizean Paradise on La Brea. This is $5 lunch special… yelp pic does it no justice… and these huuuuuge tamales are crazy good at $3

6 Likes

There isn’t a Costco in my 'hood. But S&F is down the street. I rarely go unless to stock for a party. I’ll check it out this week. Among other items, you mentioned King Arthur. Sometimes it’s hard to find their cake flour. Maybe S&F will have it. Thanks @ebethsdad.

EDIT: Dino’s is on Pico by Vermont, and Pollo ala Brasa is at 8th and Western.

What’s on the mezze plate?

I think Fatburger uses Boca Burgers?

Love Mega Pizza! So psyched others do, too. My report here.

How recently were you at Front Page? I love that place but had a meal there a few months ago that was flat out awful. Trying to figure out if it was an anomaly but am afraid to go back lol.

Also, for those unaware, Front Page is right across the street from a great brewery, Three Weavers. You can get your food to go and wash it down with some of the best beer in town.

Fatburger’s secret menu includes the “hypocrite,” a veggie burger topped with bacon.

4 Likes