Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

that’s how my wife orders the veggie burger at the Habit.

3 Likes

there are actually a number of of dino’s though the only one west of DTLA is the one on pico a couple blocks west of vermont. their chicken is pretty good. just remember to ask for extra sauce so it also drenches the french fries.

2 Likes

@Bigmouth - I live close to K-town and as I mentioned have been looking for good Peruvian Chicken. Great!

Side bar: How do you link a post “here” that takes you to the OP Instead of the other way - going to OP and click on link and transferring the whole post here? I’m not sure my question makes sense. Calling @ipsedixit too.

What?? That’s my new favorite Whole Foods, and haven’t seen that. Are you talking about the seafood section?

My bad. Yes, I mean the one on Pico near Vermont, not Pico Rivera. And yes, extra sauce for the fries is a MUST. I’ve always wanted to pair that Dino’s red sauce with the chicken from Pollo ala Brasa. I’m not such a fan of the spicy green sauce (or fries) at Pollo ala Brasa.

I have even better news – both are pretty close to K-Town! But between the two, I’d say Pollo ala Brasa is the one to try first. Parking is a little tricky but I’ve had luck on the street in front of the Oxford Hotel. There’s also a big lot there, though I think it’s for a grocery store.

Do you mean an embedded link? If so, just copy the link to the OP, highlight the text in the new post where you want that link to go, click the link button (it looks like a chain), then paste the link to the OP.

Surfas sells King Arthur flour. Big sacks of it near the front of the store. Plus they have really good baguettes and rye bread they will slice for you.

1 Like

Mitsuwa on Venice/Centinela has a good food court. Ramen, udon, bento lunches, Japanese curry. Stay away from the tempura place, though.

There isn’t any sushi in the food court, but you can get pre-packaged fresh sushi in the prepared food cold case near the front of the supermarket, and eat that in the food court.

1 Like

¡Holy Pollo! ¡You live near K-Town and haven’t popped your Pollo a la Brasa cherry yet?!?! One of a small handful of chicken roasters that uses wood to roast the birds. If you appreciate this method/style, this IS the place.

1 Like

Sweet. Thanks.

Huh?

Not cheap (by any means) but a great value is the $80 omakase at sushi Tsujita for lunch.

1 Like

Okay. I think I get it. Thanks!

I’m no expert but the vibe I get from sunnin is that it’s lebanese done by persians. Pure speculation so I may be wrong. Went once, didn’t like it and never went back. Shamshiri on the other hand does everything well whether it’s stews or more general middle eastern fare. Service is always on point except for the managers who often appear to be giving the stink-eye. Don’t know what that is about. But all the waitstaff are great. Mint tea is amazing and bottomless. Also the huge portions mean every meal is lunch and dinner.

1 Like

Okay, okay. I’ll try Shimshiri again.

Not sure about the whole passing for Lebanese thing. Maybe they migrated to Lebanon. Who knows. I used to go to the original location more. The sister is really friendly and talked a lot about Lebanon and the food.

You never know what you’re going to get into w/people on FTC. I go to Sunnin to pick-up lunch maybe once a year now. I really like a few things on the menu. I like the family. This is a thread about inexpensive spots on the Westside. I listed it. It’s not a hill I want to die on. I’m probably just not current on Westside food anymore.

Objection sustained. Will the jury please disregard the Sunnin remarks and go to Shimshiri.

I’m going to MZuma :relaxed:.

Happy Eating!

Hi @bulavinaka - LOL. Nope, not yet. I will now. I hope I like the smokey flavor.

Oh, I can’t explain it better. I’ll play around, and try Bigmouth’s suggestion.

I haven’t eaten at Sunnin since the early 2000s but it was quite good then. And I don’t think anyone ever had any questions about whether they were Lebanese.

2 Likes

Sunnin is the same as the place in Long Beach on 2nd street?

Don’t think so. This report cites the Santa Monica location as the second one and there’s no mention on their website of anything in Long Beach.

Try going in to the Sunin bakery for a snack some time! Its not really for a full meal, no real meat dishes but great for a light lunch on the go or a quick snack.

It’s okay to agree to disagree I think.