Best of LA for the budget-minded among us

If you ever find yourself in the southern part of L.A. county, here are a few places we go to quite often:
Los Compadres (Norwalk) - Happy hour here can’t be beat. Great $6 margaritas and $6 plates of tacos (beef, carnitas, shrimp, or fish), burritos, nachos. You can easily get full from one plate.
Arturo’s Puffy Tacos (Whitter/La Habra) - The guisado puffy taco is a delight. The puffy taco shell is masa fried to an airy, light, and crispy texture. Add the braised beef and toppings and you’re good to go. Also good is the chicken. Our kids like the picadillo (ground beef) and the carne asada. They run about $2.50 - $3.00 a piece, but are pretty filling. I can only eat about two. On a splurge day, I get the fries topped with guisado, cheese, salsa, and avocado crema for about $7. Wash it down with an Orange Bang.
Portsmouth (Whittier) - Happy hour here is fantastic. They have $1.50 fresh oysters, food specials than run about $5, and $2 off beers. Sit at the bar and ask for Ruben. He’ll treat you right.
Taco Nazo (Bellflower) - Amazing fast food fish tacos. It comes with plenty of limes and grilled guajillo chiles. Each taco is about $2.50 and includes a huge piece of fried fish. It’s cheaper if you buy the tacos buy the tacos in bulk (6 or 12 pack). The al pastor nachos are a cheat day meal for me.
Poke Bar (Cerritos) - I get the large with spring mix and have enough for lunch and dinner. Not bad for $14. The protein options are tuna, salmon, scallops, albacore, spicy tuna, octopus, and tofu. The tuna, salmon, and spicy tuna are always fresh to me. Octopus and scallops are usually fresh…a time or two it’s been a little fishy tasting. Have never tried any of the rest. I like that kimchi is a topping option.
The Original Fish Company (Los Alamitos) - Happy hour here is a great deal. $6/$7 drinks and great apps for $7. The ceviche is good as is the lobster mac and cheese. I like that they make their own fresh fried potato chips, too. I’m a sucker for fresh potato chips. Regular dinner can get steep, but they do have the best clam chowder I’ve ever had outside of Boston.
Northern Cafe (Cerritos) - This is a chain that’s starting to get traction throughout L.A. The XLB is so-so, but I am in love with the green beans cooked with lots of garlic and black bean paste. The spicy spare ribs served in the hot pot are also delicious. We go here to lunch with a bunch of folks and order a ton of stuff. We leave fat and happy with a tab that’s about $10 each.

3 Likes

You’re making me really hungry. But I’m still just shocked… They have great Yelp reviews too. Who knew! It seems way superior to Wi’ Jammin’ who was really promising (good brown stew), but doesn’t seem to care anymore, and Island Fresh which is mostly seafood (good fried fish) w/a couple of Jamaican specialties.

My husband would think I was nuts if I said “Let’s eat at Belize Paradise.” It’s a personal thing. Like do we want patronize a place that has caused drama in our neighborhood? I’m tempted though… hmmm.

I had to see if I was correct, it’s been a year since I tried it.

Verdict: Crust is much lighter and crisper, but still greasy as heck. I received a piece each of lotus root (yay!), broccoli, yam, zucchini, and seaweed.

My greasy fingers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep I like it. Love the hummus. I’ve never had anything bad there. But was willing to admit I don’t go often and they may no longer be up to par. Glad there are a few here who like Sunnin. Because I have fond memories of them.

1 Like

I also nominate a proper falafel… this is 6.95 at Ta’Eem with seemingly unlimited toppings. Their other items are pricy. But this beast and Sabbich are cheap

6 Likes

This is the best thread ever for affordable food in L.A. Visiting , or if you live there .

2 Likes

How bout Night & Market for Thai.

The shawarma plate at ta-eem while expensiveabout 16 bucks total can fill the bellies of two people. So very cheap for dinner.

1 Like

Isn’t Thai Town always going to be cheaper?

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Or Laffa shawarma to split for lunch. Plenty

I don’t know that it’s ‘cheap’ per se but I do think it has some of the best QPR around for my taste.

$8 at Zam Zam gets you this

Hanosuke West LA…mine was excellent as opposed to a dreadful on in Torrance. Perhaps consistency problem?

Saigon Baguette for egg banh mi <$3

Beijing Pie House lamb pancake

9 Likes

But where is it?

Thanks for the quick research! Good feedback. Does sound like a consistency issue.

1 Like

Their chicken is great! I usually get it w/ rice–although they used to package the to go boxes w/ the chicken sitting on top of the rice which was great. By the time I drove the couple of blocks home, the rice was dressed nicely w/ the chicken juices. The last time I was there, they packaged the chicken and rice separately :unamused:

1 Like

Yeah, we liked Ackee. Bummed they were out of the patties when we got there. Photos of the two combo plates we got. Jerk chicken and short ribs. Goat curry and oxtail. I really liked the goat curry. Deep rich flavor, thick sauce, tender meat, butchered well. The oxtail was also well prepared. Tender, easy to peel off the bones, but still had some chew and not mushy. How a braised dish should be done IMO.

1 Like

Ta Eem rocks. Schwarma is great as is the dark meat chicken Pargiot. Great Israeli salads and the pita is amazing as well.

I’m perfectly happy grabbing chicken only and taking it home. It can be a little tough to take home though if I’m taking the train, which I usually do when visiting that area. Parking is such a pain around there. But the multiple legs to get from Ktwon to Westside takes a bit of time and having that chicken in front of me with all the heavenly smells wafting up is torture.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional data point!

ballpark nacho cheese is a guilty pleasure whenever I go to a game. Everytime I walk past those industrial cans at S&F, I have this hedonistic perverse urge to grab a can, a huge bag of nacho chips, go home, lock the door, pull the window blinds down and hunker down in front of the TV with a game on and gorge until I pass out from a nacho cheese coma. :joy::laughing::blush:

2 Likes