Best Smoked Salmon / Nova?

So what’s your favorite in the 5 boroughs?

Acme out in Greenpoint, Russ & Daughters (obviously) and Nordic Preserves at Essex Market.

Thanks @small_h. Can you elaborate on Nordic Preserves, that’s a new one for me.

I purchased some freshly sliced nova from Zabar’s today. Not sure why, but it was super oily (in a good way) and silky. Does an experienced slicer really make such a huge difference?? I’ve purchased fresh sliced from R&D, Greengrass, Sables, & Acme but don’t recollect it being as good. Looks like I may need to conduct another shootout soon.

I’m the last one to have an informed opinion but we like Zabar. Still have a couple of coffee mugs :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say huge, but the Russ & Daughters slicers can cut a piece of salmon that’s practically translucent, which I think gives it a more luxurious texture. I haven’t been to Zabar’s in decades, since it’s a) further from me than Russ & Daughters and b) more expensive than Acme.

It’s a vendor in Essex Market. Prices on par with Russ & Daughters, quality not quite as good, but an interesting variety. This lists some of what you’ll find there - they also make bagel and other sandwiches.

Yes, quite a gem indeed. I was especially surprised by their wide selection of cheese and kitchenware on the 2nd floor. This particular pan caught my eye but didn’t pull the trigger.

http://www.solidteknics.com/ion/

Thanks for jogging my memory, recollect walking by them in Essex Market. Will have to check them out next time I’m there.

The thin slicing technique and resulting texture was quite revelatory. My 1/2 lb pack (finished it all last nite) was literally dripping salmon oil :yum: I’ll have to pay extra attention on the slicer’s proficiency next time I go smoked salmon shopping.

But if it cooks the same as CI, then I’ll stick with my supply of CIs.

I have some airline miles I need to use and not enough for intl so maybe NYC. Been out of bagels for the longest time.