Best soft-serve in Los Angeles (moved from NYC board)

PGL, I think you have mentioned you work in the Valley, or maybe it was just that you frequent there? There is a Rita’s in Tarzana on Ventura Blvd just west of Wilbur (at Topeka on the North side)

Work in the Valley (Encino, near the Gelson’s). Woodland Hills might be a touch out of my driving zone (depending on how much of a rush I’m in to get home… ;)). But it certainly might be worth comparing the 2 branches… :smile:

Got it westsidegal. I’ve never been to the branch in Culver City; only the original in Altadena where I’ve spotted the gelato guru multiple times (it’s been consistently good there). Thanks.

McDonalds vanilla soft serve dipped in that hard chocolate coating. Its my guilty pleasure when it gets over 90 in LA.

Ever try the custard at Top Round?

Hi bringiton. I did. My opinion is that it was lacking. Better is the one at pier burger on the pier. Chocolate, vanilla and another flavor.

JJ for once I agree with you 110 fucking percent.

Pier Burger is the best on the current fucking scene.

Otherwise lucky Devils is now beyond fucking defunct.

Had the Fosslemans soft serve at Doghaus yesterday. It was $0.05 for a cone during their 5th anniversary.

The ice cream reminder me of McDonald’s in a good way but better flavor. The texture was off and a little too soft but they had just started making a new batch. I had to get the ice cream as soon as it was ready because my kids were melting down.

They only had vanilla.

bringiton:
if you can be happy with McDonalds, that stuff is, at the very least, likely to be FAR lower in calories than the Straus Family Creamery soft serve (50 calories an ounce). . . . . .

When I’m treating myself to ice cream I turn a blind eye to nonsensical things like calories.

The last two times I went to Sweet Rose on Pico the soft serve machine has been out of order. I think it might be a sign. To compensate I ordered a double scoop in their fantastic waffle cone with toppings. That’ll teach them.

5 Likes

Actually, when I am treating myself to ice cream, I pay special attention to things like calories.

If I’m indulging in ice cream, and it’s “low calorie” or labeled as such, I run, not walk, away.

2 Likes

Shared the chocolate/vanilla twist soft-serve at Jon & Vinny’s yesterday (and admit I ate most of it). Very good. Chocolate was deeply chocolate and not too sweet so mixed well with the vanilla.

I really enjoyed our meal there. Five of us split melon and proscuitto app (good honeydew offshoot melon which was plentiful, proscuitto good but sparse, and c’mon guys – slice the melon off the rind), two pastas (a lamb ravioli and a squash agnolotti, both good but small servings), and the meatballs (highlight – two big light balls served with rich sauce, soft burrata cheese, and large planks of oil-soaked grilled ciabatta) and the chicken parm (two nice-sized very crispy pieces with that rich chunky sauce and cheese). My brother’s family really enjoyed it, I thought everything we had was good but perhaps a bit pricey.

2 Likes

I think that mini mall is on the northeast corner.

there’s room in my life for both: the high cal/high fat content stuff AND the lower cal/lower fat.

i like frozen desserts, as a category, so much that even the stuff that would cause ipse or js76wisco to turn their noses up would still please me to some degree–certainly would please me more than most other categories of dessert.

This reminds me.

I’m overdue for a Souplantation visit.

AYCE soft-serve rules.

2 Likes

ok, here’s another idea
for a dairy-dairy bang bang,

one can go to WHEEL HOUSE CHEESE where they will make you a lovely cheese platter and sell you a bottle of wine to go with and provide you with wine glasses.
after that walk to pitfire pizza and get the Straus soft-serve with the chocolate sauce.

after all, what better dessert for a dairy meal than MORE dairy?

(gotta admit, since learning of the pitfire/straus soft serve, i’ve practically taken up residence there.
even have some of the soft serve sitting in my freezer for when the urge hits me during the hours that they are closed.)

1 Like

How’s the fucking Souplntation stuff ???

What would you compare it to ???

Like upscale McDs soft serve ???

I did not need have this idea planted in my head… We love pitfire’s soft serve with caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt. Wheel House makes excellent cheese plates, well worth the price and a very nice selection of wine. They also often have events that are free or well priced.

–Dommy!

In the time-honored tradition of bumping a thread rather than starting a new one…

Go Get Em Tiger has an espresso soft serve. One of the baristas said it was free(!) this weekend while giving me a taster. It’s so absurdly good. (obligatory, sorry for crappy phone pic. ha)

1 Like

Pretty sure I posted on here already but I’ll add it to the appropriate post! Mister Softee has opened in So Cal but it requires a trip to Camarilllo! So when outlet shopping… stop in for a double dippy dog cone!

5 Likes