Best Steakhouse?

From the Valley to OC.

And I do mean best Steakhouse, not best Steak, though if the best steak isn’t served in a steakhouse I’d still like to know about it. Not particularly interested in Japanese Wagyu.

I think a few years ago the answer might’ve been CUT, have things changed?

Mastro’s is still king. Bone-in ribeye.

1 Like

By coincidence, it was already on the list. Good to know that it’s top-tier.

My guess is the best steak in LA is the 80-day dry-aged bone-in ribeye at Gwen, though to be sure I’d want to compare the porterhouse at Chi Spacca.

Does Mastro’s sell any dry-aged beef? Tom Sietsema’s review of the Washington branch reports the waiter said it was “wet-aged,” which is a ridiculous thing to include in the spiel since that does nothing to improve the meat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/mastros-steakhouse-review-a-well-played-rendition-of-a-tired-song/2015/06/16/1ca9a7fc-0b9e-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html

The 80-day dry-aged ribeye sounds great, but unfortunately they don’t have it on their bar menu and I’ve heard the tasting menu is only so-so (and it’d probably be too much food for 2 people, unless we went with the 3-course).

They told me I could order any of the steaks at the bar.

1 Like

Off-topic but we’ve never had a problem with sharing a tasting menu and then paying a supplement for wine.

1 Like

That’;s the Tomahawk ribeye ?

I’ve got to say I’ve enjoyed my visits to Monty’s tremendously for the oldschool feel. a special bone in NY last time was really nice. can’t discount lawry’s. and i dig the places that cook on charcoal like Frank and Musso

I don’t have enough expereice to make a call, but Nick and Steph’s does several cuts of dry aged, supremely decadent hunks of bovine, and the drying room is all glass so you can stare longingly at it.

I know they went under a remodel not too long ago. Prior to that, they were very much a ‘3 martini lunch’ sort of place.

I found the sides and salads to be overbearing both in flavors and size, but they do make a heck of a nice piece of meat. Dinner is easily in the $75-100/pp, depending on appetite and drinks…

Chi Spacca’s immense steak is the one to beat, but CUT is also phenomenal. Nic & Stef’s does really good large format dry-aged steaks if you’re into that. The dry-aged tomahawk at The Arthur J easily makes it the best place for steak in the South Bay. And for wet-aged, I think Mastro’s is the best. I think for the average palate, wet-aged is probably going to deliver more flavor. There are a ton of great steaks in LA, and I’d put the scene here on par with Vegas’s.

2 Likes

Had to beat the NY at Dan Tana’s, though Chi Spacca does.

Yes.

2 Likes

The Ranch in Anaheim has a great cowboy rib steak. One of the best I’ve had.

1 Like

What makes it “cowboy”?

I think calling Cryovac’d beef “wet-aged” is marketing bullshit. There’s no aging going on there.

If someone doesn’t care whether steak is dry-aged, why spend all that money? Go to Sizzler. Their steaks are hand-cut.

“Cowboy” just means bone-in.

Boneless means you’re in the wrong restaurant.

3 Likes

Some not-mentioned great ones: the steak at Bestia (which competes with Chi Spacca but at a lower price point), and the rib eye at Ink. The one at Ink is really f’n excellent–it’s like Voltaggio focused all his skill with texture on creating the perfect steak. Really nice.

Thanks for the heads up on Ink’s steak @Haeldaur. :slight_smile:

We haven’t made it out to their new menu, so how’s the rest of the Ink 2.0 menu?

not a fan of Mastros steaks at all, gotten bone in rib eyes and filet there…each time not impressed at all.
Had a pretty killer rib eye at Frank and Mussos…decent one at Dan Tanas.
Chi Spacca is great.

Have to say, I think the best steak I had was at STK in westwood though. Destroyed Mastros.

Mastros is the mcdonalds of high end steak in LA IMO