Bestia's Roasted Bone Marrow Gnocchetti

Email wouldn’t go through.

I was just curious. I don’t need the recipe, thanks.

8 month wait list for the book la public library, doh!

We were somewhat successful at winging the recipe. As my son said, it’s good mom, but not the same. I think I didn’t make enough bone marrow for the amount of pasta. And I didn’t really know how to incorporate the balsamic or how much to use. But I think the pasta I used had the right amount of chew and the Panko flakes added good texture. All in all, I’d make it again. With a few tweaks. We’ll probably not get to the real recipe before thanksgiving but I’ll report when we do.

3 Likes

Tried to scan and send it to @PorkyBelly but didn’t work (probably privacy limits on our interactions - appreciate that). So here is recipe:
gnocchetti;
1 Tb tasteless oil
1 smashed garlic clove
1 cup spinach leaves
6 Tb whole milk
1 egg yolk
salt
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Saute garlic in oil until starting to brown. Add spinach until wilted. Cool slightly, transfer to blender and add egg yolk and milk. Blend to a smooth pureee.
Bring two quarts of salted water to a boil. Prepare ice bath.
Whisk 3/4 cup 00 flour and 2 Tbs grated Parmesan together. Mix with spinach puree and 1 tsp kosher salt.
Have 2 qts of salted water boiling. Use a spaetzle maker or a colander to cook 1/2 the batter into the boiling water. Cook for two minutes. Fish out and drain on a towel lined plate. Cook the other half. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500. Season bone with pepper. Roast for five minutes.Switch to broil and cook for two minutes.
Toss pasta with 1tsp of oil.
Heat 1 Tbs of oil until hot. Brown smashed garlic clove until golden. Add gnocchetti and brown for 2 minutes. Flip and brown for one. Add 1/3 cup stock (recipe says vegetable but I use chicken), 1 Tbs butter and 2 Tbs Parmesan. Mix it all up and enjoy!!!
I hope this will satisfy your incredible son’s desire!
Sprinkle with Maldon salt and drizzle with aged Balsamic. Last edit I promise!
Best of luck!!!

5 Likes

Did you paraphrase the recipe? Evidently that’s the copyright law reg. You can list the ingredients but have to paraphrase the instructions. And thanks :smile:

I did very much so. Ori’s writing is much smoother than mine.

2 Likes

Thanks! I guess I didn’t realize how much flavor was incorporated into the gnochetti already. I guess I’m going to have to learn how to make gnochetti.

I finally did it. Turned out pretty well. The wife thought it was just as good as Bestia’s, but I didn’t. Tips: the timings are apparently for a restaurant stove rather than my under-powered Kenmore (it needs a 3/4" gas line, but I didn’t want to bother replumbing when I put it in so I used an adapter - plays hell when I am trying to do “breath of a wok”); gnocchetti wasn’t crisp enough despite extra time in the pan, and marrow bones needed extra roasting time and broiling time. I forgot to drizzle the aged balsamic on at the end; a pity since I have lots of aged balsamic (when you cook and people don’t know what to give you aged balsamic and exotic extra virgin olive oil tend to pile up). The gnocchetti dough was a little too damp and clumped, especially on the second round. Nevertheless it was very tasty and had good texture despite the lack of crispy edges. All in all a good first effort. One last note, the cookbook doesn’t mention scraping the marrow off the bones and mixing it into the pasta. Won’t be a problem for those of us who have been to Bestia, but could be confusing for those who haven’t. I purchased the marrow bones from Jim’s Fallbrook Market, a wonderful grocer and butcher in the west valley. Got five five inch bones, split lengthwise for under $20. Vacuum sealed and froze the other four so I have four other chance to improve without having to make the trek to West Hills. Oh Jim’s has really good bbq in the parking lot on weekends. Had a great sausage and grilled onions sandwich. Not fond of their tri tip as I love Santa Maria style, but the sausage is great!

9 Likes

A 1" gas line is the best . Glad you enjoyed your meal . Nice

Get an induction cooktop!

Doesn’t help with the broiler. Waiting to remodel until we see where ebeth ends up.

My sister and brother in law were talked into trading out the gas stove for one when they moved. They hate it . The pan issue . Plus you can’t make coffee with a Bialetti .

Stove has a 3/4" intake. Would have to reduce if I plumbed in a 1" line. Just waiting until we retire and where our daughter ends up as to whether I remodel, or sell and move.

1 Like

I’ve said many times over the years - most sincerely - that I wouldn’t trade my induction for the most expensive gas plus $1k. What’s the pan issue? Re non-compatible cookware, there are a gazillion workaround:

I’ve had gas, electric and now induction x 2.

1 Like

It’s the work arounds .Benefit of the dought. I would trade this glass top electric stove for my old O’keefe Merritt gas stove .

1 Like

So nice, @ebethsdad! Looks spectacular.
On a side note, is that the same Jim’s Dave Grohl was smoking and grilling out of a while back?

Probably. I googled it and couldn’t come up with an answer. Its a great place, highly recommended!

1 Like

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you!