Bird & Buffalo Thai Soul Food - Oakland Temescal

New Thai restaurant in the old Rosamunde space. Order and pay at the counter and take a number to your table.

Sai ouah / Lao sausage ($7): excellent, juicy, nicely seasoned. Some of the best I’ve had. I ordered the nham prik noom, but they didn’t have enough left, so they threw in the last little bit they had left.

Mu ping / pork skewer ($4): very nice, simple, juicy, good texture.

papaya

Somtum lao ($9): very good. I ordered Thai spicy, pretty mild compared with the stuff at Wat Mongkolratanaram.

Gra duk mu yaang / pork ribs ($11), simple and good, nice with their fermented chile sauce. Slaw was too sweet for my taste, though also quite sour.

Forgot to take a picture of the blistered garlic green beans ($5), simple and good.

I’ll definitely be back to try more of the menu. It’s nice to have a place doing real Thai food closer to home.

2 Likes

Went the other night because we found parking right across the street (parking in Temescal’s a serious challenge these days) and the outdoor seating looked nice.

I didn’t get a photo of the e-sarn sausage. Good seasoning but maybe overcooked, kind of dry.

Ordered catfish larb, got this fried catfish with larb-style seasonings. It was delicious but not larb.

Spring rolls. If I’d read the menu carefully I wouldn’t have been surprised that they were fried. My dining companion ordered and liked them so no problem.

Wings, pretty good, but too much fried food in one meal for me.

Pad e’sarn noodle, pretty bland, would have liked more noodles.

Green beans, is this popular in Thailand? To me it’s a Chinese dish but what do I know. Good. Helped make up for the lack of salad in the “larb.”

“Pretty darn hot” sauce was very seriously spicy. A tiny bit went a long way. Despite the minuscule serving I took most of it home. Jasmine rice was exceptionally good.

Overall it was an odd meal, lots of good things but it mostly didn’t seem very Thai. Though not at all typical Americanized Thai, either.