Bludso's La Brea > Bludso's Compton

I’m optimistic! I’ve been pretty impressed with some of the stuff here, especially the ones that put a local or personal sort of spin on it. Though of course there’s a chance it ends up like hot chicken - one or two places worth visiting and a lot of bandwagon types or places that start strong but don’t stick.

1 Like

Thanks! Actually never heard of Ragtop. I want some saucy ribs sometimes

Ragtop Ferns is also out of his house in KTown,-ish, you have to preorder on Instagram and then pick it up

1 Like

Strange. Reheated just now and the ribs are more tender and juicier than 2 days ago. As if sitting around helped

Maybe you originally bought “take and bake” BBQ?

2 Likes

Just needed a refractory period.

1 Like

That’s cuz you’re a better pitmaster than Bludso.

2 Likes

Said it perfectly. L A is not a bbq destination.

How did you reheat?

covered sauce pan with a dash of water… i’m guessing they’ve just had time to absorb some moisture… noticed the smoke level better at home as well. it was right in the middle where i like it.

That probably explains it. Some bbq places finish their brisket in foil to give it a little steam, which helps soften the meat and make the fat nice and oozy. Kind of like a steamed pastrami (which is basically Yankee bbq).

On that note, I find the pastrami at Wexler’s, which can be a little dry at the restaurant, tastes even better when wrapped in foil and reheated. The meat comes out more moist and tender and bread crisps up nicely.

PS: Here’s a great article about wrapping brisket:

Why is it so damned hard to get a simple BBQ place that’s consistent and not completely overpriced? Nashivlle has successfully exported its hot chicken to LA. They need to bring their BBQ such as Martins BBQ, which would absolutely kill it here.

California emissions laws?

2 Likes

Major reason.

1 Like

But hasn’t only one place gotten it right?

I don’t see Boogie McGee’s mentioned a lot. I think they’re consistent solid. Not really a home run, but not striking out either. Brisket and pork ribs have been the most consistent. The beef ribs aren’t bad but can be a touch inconsistent. Pulled pork also solid.

I love their corn bread and also the big pile of pickled peppers and veggies available

2 Likes

Another thumbs up for us for Boogie Magees. Their prices are also quite reasonable. After one too many bad lunches at Maple Block, glad to have this open relatively close to us…

Grabbed Slab for dinner last night. Chicken and brisket fairly comparable to Bludso’s I’d say.

1 Like

thanks for the followup. tasty looking bark there.

What’s wrong with Phillips on Crenshaw and Jay Bee’s in gardena?

1 Like