Bouillabaisse recommendation in Cassis

I would appreciate some suggestions regarding a place where one could enjoy an authentic bouillabaisse in or near Cassis.

Have you considered Marseille?

Hi beam,

there is one restaurant which adopted the “Charte de la Bouillabaisse” : Chez Gilbert.

But several other restaurants have Bouillabaisse on their menue.

La Vieille Auberge, Le Grand Large, La Presqu’île…

Hope that helps ?

We are in Cassis for a day to visit the Calanques. I would rather like to avoid going to a larger city, so a village along the coast would be best.

I have seen Chez Gilbert and the Charte de la Bouillabaisse, but I have no idea how real that is. A lot of them in the village look like tourist traps.
La Presquile looks like an nice place, but sadly they do not do Bouillabaisse. Actually when I called them they recommended Chez Gilbert.
Most likely will try Chez Gilbert.

@beam where did you end up going?

After much research and conversations with the local people, everything pointed to Chez Gilbert.
It is a member of La Charte de la Bouillabaisse Marseillaise and that is Chez Gilbert.
I called ahead to make sure they did not need me to pre-order it, which they said I did not have to.
The restaurant is on the main boardwalk, it looks like any other tourist trap place, and they get their share of tourists doing stupid touristy things. I have seen some reviews trashing the place. This was not our experience.
I must say that the Bouillabaisse was amazing, and served in a very traditional way and they were very proud of it Paired with the local white Cassis wine I enjoyed it very much and recommend it without hesitation.

1 Like

Thanks for the report, looks scrumptious.

Funny enough the restaurant where the author went does not appear to be the member of the charter.
Thank you for sharing.