Breakfast Burrito

… are fabulous.

Especially the honey sea salt. So difficult to find a savory-ish donut, much a less a good one.

No disagreements here. I think Cofax has the best donuts in the city right now. They have a very high win:miss ratio.

Excellent. I think breakfast burrito, coffee and donuts sound great. My only concern was whether or not Cofax had donuts on Sunday since Rucker Pies is at Smorgasbord.

Do breakfast tacos count? Literati has a very solid rendition (3 tacos per order). Filling but not disgustingly so, and you don’t feel like you just ingested a gallon of grease (which I realize might disappoint some people, but not me… :wink: ).

Cofax is great. Love the smoked potatoes. Make sure you try the salsa verde.

Donuts are also tasty, as are the hand pies if they have them. I believe pie queen Nicole Rucker, formerly of Gjusta, makes both now.

YEAH! COFAX is my favorite breakfast burrito (i eat it for lunch mostly though).

Highland Cafe has an excellent BB that has chilaquiles inside. I need to try TVC, but the other stuff is weak, nothing special. Even if Anthony Bourdain likes it.

YES TO NATES KORNER!
This the best breakfast burrito I’ve ever had period. Their hash browns are very stringy and crispy, and almost taste like fried onions in a way, (hard to explain) and their flour tortilla has that perfect soft and gummy texture to hold in all the greasy goodness! I get their steak with avocado breakfast burrito but all of them are great! I love nicks in Chinatown (bc of the ham) and Lucky Boy in pasadena but Nate’s Korner in Santa Ana for those who have never been is imo, destination worthy if you’re a breakfast burrito fiend.

2 Likes

No worries as they have donuts everyday. Now they might sell out of the ones you wanted, but they have plenty of selection.

Oooh… I may have to make a special trip to try this.

1 Like

TVC is completely mediocre otherwise, I find it strange that someone sent Bourdain there for tacos, I have literally never seen anyone order anything but breakfast burritos there.

I should add that it’s cash only, and it can take upwards of 30 minutes to get your order. but if you’re looking for a breakfast burrito nothing in NELA comes close.

Cofax breakfast burrito was excellent. Good balance between all the ingredients and we appreciated the green chiles and excellent salsa. I also liked the crunch on the outside of the burrito.

Sugar donut was excellent as well. Good chew on the font and liked the hint of cinnamon. Sometimes these sugar donuts are too soft. They didn’t have any hand pies or the strawberry crunch donut today.

Crazy 100 person line of people who slept out waiting for Kanye West clothing collection down the street.

2 Likes

Fascinating. I’ve always wondered about the long lines I periodically see nearby. Just figured it was a casting call or something.

This was a one-off pop-up. Yes, a clothing store pop-up. $70 for a basic white T-shirt.

#OnlyInAmerica

1 Like

You’d think so, but they were not immune to his capitalistic charms in Shoreditch:

Corner Cottage is very good. I used to roll over and get breakfast burritos for the office when I worked in the area.

Yeezus…

1 Like

The Polish and egg got the mention in 538 but I like the Southwest (chili and bacon) at Athenian III in Buena Park.

So that is what that was?! There are often lines in the area for sneaker releases and stuff. So nothing surprises me there.

Anyway, we too went down there, for the Breakfast Burrito. I have had it before when they first opened and I was eager to try the expanded menu. We got one Chorizo and one Pastrami. The Chorizo was as good as ever along with the green salsa. I’m really critical about salsas. So many are unbalanced, insipid, under salted. I always taste salsa before using it because I would rather do without (Growing up, we just bit into a fresh serano if we wanted heat) than dump a medocre salsa on my taco (I eschew almost all restaurant guacamoles because of it).

But the green salsa at Cofax is one of the best in the city. They should bottle it because each visit it’s been consistently delicious.

The pastrami was a pleasant surprise. It had quite a bit of mustard in it, which shouldn’t have been surprising, but still was. And it worked.

We liked both burritos equally for different reasons. But our favorite breakfast burrito of the moment is the Merguez Breakfast Burrito at Revolutionario. Of course because it’s stuff with links of their amazing merguez… but also these fried crispy potatoes that add real CRUNCH and flavor to the burrito.

Next we want to try Cassels Burritos because recently we had their Hashbrowns, which were AMAZING. A perfect round of crispness.

–Dommy!

8 Likes

It’s surprisingly hard to get really good hash browns. You are absolutely right about salt and salsa I would hear nothing but ‘desabrido’ until the salt was right if I was making salsa with my mom.

1 Like