Breakfast Burrito

I really like the breakfast burrito at Detour Bistro. It has a nice mixture of ingredients, eggs are cooked perfectly, and it’s not huge…which I realize may be a con to others, but I prefer it smaller. Even if I say I will not eat all of the huge burrito in front of me, I will inevitably eat it all and feel terrible afterward.

Y’all should mention the 1+ hour wait for burritos at Corner Cottage

Not at 6AM…it’s not quite that bad early in the morning. I tried to make sure I’m there by 6:30AM or try showing up after 9AM.

ah yes, the servorg style of line avoidance - wake up before normal humans do.

well for the rest of us, getting a breakfast burrito at corner cottage basically means standing in a 20 minute line, ordering, leaving to go home and shower, and then picking up your breakfast burrito 40 minutes later.

3 Likes

miss that guy!

1 Like

@Ns1 That’s a smart way to get around it. I like your method more than my own. I used to commute, so I would arrive early into the office or wait until after the first morning meeting to eat.

The Breakfast Burrito at the Big Bali Truck is Awesome. To me its is much better than Cofax. The meat is Beef Rendang and it has crispy potatoes which stay crisp. While it took them 10-ish minutes to make it was much quicker than the hour I waited for my last Cofax Burrito. My Vegetarian coworkers say the off menu veggie breakfast burrito is crave worthy as well.

http://www.bigbalitruck.com

Ohhhh. Interesting…

Need to look up where they go!

1 Like

I recently discovered that the California Club does a fantastic breakfast burrito. Potatoes, BBQ brisket, soft runny scrambled eggs, baby spinach and avocado slices.

Not for the faint of heart, nor for those with much of a to-do list after 10 a.m.

Jonathan Club does one too, if memory serves…

CoFax is completely worth the hype. If size is not your main criterion they blow away virtually everywhere else. The fact that they smoke the potatoes at Bludso’s and import then helps a lot, but more than they, they have a ferocious dedication to placing freshand high-quality ingredients inside of them. The proportion of ingredients is the stuff of Goldilock’s dreams. They toast the tortilla just right. The salsas are like the versions of green and red BB salsa from your dreams, exactly what you always want with a BB, but never quite seem able to get. It feels like they hired Elon Musk to engineer a “just right” breakfast burrito. Absolutely astounding. They could probably charge double the price for how good they are.

2 Likes

Props to the truck, and I am sure the burritos are good. I don’t know about others, but for me, I have something sort of narrow in mind when I conceptualize a breakfast burrito. For whatever reason putting curry in it doesn’t feel like breakfast to me. I am not even entirely sure how one can compare a curry loaded burrito to the simple egg/chorizo/potato/cheese that Cofax has perfected. To me that is the kind of simple thing that the word “breakfast burrito” conjures up, possibly with bacon instead of chorizo (tofu perhaps if you lean that way I suppose). There is a quintessential taste associated with them to my palate.

Just my opinion. Cofax does demand a wait though, that is a fair point. Personally, completely worthwhile to me, but I have a very narrow range of breakfast burritos.

As a purely theoretical, do most people just envision “a burrito eaten for breakfast” when using the term “breakfast burrito”?

1 Like

I wouldn’t describe this as a “curry laden burrito” It’s going to be something you have to try since it does not fall in the normal realm of what the people imagine as a breakfast burrito. However, I thought it was wonderful burrito to eat at eight in the morning, which is why I mentioned it in this thread.

1 Like

I went in a couple weekends ago around mid-day, and there was no line but a couple tumbleweeds, and they hadn’t sold out. So if anyone wants to try the breakfast burrito but also wants to avoid a wait, might work a treat to go at an off time. (Prolly call ahead first though to make sure it’s not sold out.)

1 Like

Cofax green salsa + smoked potatoes + chorizo = heaven

1 Like

I stopped by GTA (Gjelina Take Away, @linus) for a bialy with avocado/veggies. No bialy in sight. Power outage in the neighborhood over the past couple of nights has hampered Gjusta’s operations, and lots of the items have been delayed.

I opted for the chorizo burrito instead.

Chorizo, red and purple potatoes, scrambled eggs, I think poblano chile, a good amount of cilantro and GTA’s hot sauce. The tortilla is probably out of a bag, and is burnished on the griddle. It’s not a monster - more like Cofax-size. It’s $13 - a little precious - but delicious just the same.

4 Likes

So about exactly 2x the price of Cofax’s BB… just like I said haha

Can’t help but chuckle.

Also can’t help thinking it might be better if they made them at Gjusta…what if they made their own tortillas??

That looks very edible. I’m not a burrito person, but I would probably eat some of that.

It was good. I normally don’t eat heavy for breakfast during the week. I figured to eat only half of the burrito for breakfast and the other half for lunch. The first bite was all it took. I polished off the whole thing with no trouble at all.

One other thing to note the ingredient list on the menu doesn’t include the Egg or Hash Brown which is in it. FYI the Burrito has a short shelf life since the hash brown gets limp after a while.

4 Likes