Breakfast Burrito

Aight, I tried the breakfast burrito from Benny’s Tacos & Chicken Rotisserie LA (ranked #4 on Eater’s list). It was a fine enough breakfast burrito. I am surprised it made it so high on the list - especially above Cofax, which I think is great -, but I don’t really take those things too seriously. The flavors were a bit muted, and it could have done with more texture. The potatoes are cut in large chunks and pretty soft, which I think contributed to the whole thing being a wet mess by the end.

I don’t think I’ll go back to have it, but if I did have it again, I wouldn’t be mad.

1 Like

I too had a disappointing breakfast burrito experience this weekend. I went to Cofax, and there may be a downhill alert. This was once a great burrito. But the flavors were totally muddled, you could barely taste the chorizo, and the ingredients were not spread throughout–everything was in pockets. I still maintain that the best breakfast burrito in LA is at La Tortilleria Azteca (chorizo, not steak).

Also I have not had the breakfast burrito at Benny’s, but I’ve had other things, and given how thoroughly mediocre everything on the menu is, I’d be shocked if it was actually great.

1 Like

Oh no x infinity

Your suspicions are correct. In the area, I like the chorizo bburrito at Del Rey Deli better.

YEP! And made with Choriman Chorizo!

–Dommy!

1 Like

That is my experience every time I get the chorizo. Try the smoked sausage, it is much better. Add avocado of course because California. :rofl:

I’m late to this party/thread so pardon me if this has been addressed.

Is a “breakfast burrito” an “authentic” Mexican dish?

After reading Eater’s newly published Breakfast Burrito list, I also decided to try Benny’s breakfast burrito this past weekend, and I have to agree with you – it’s mediocre. I ordered the pico de gallo on the side to avoid it the soggy situation you encountered though.

As far as Eater lists go, I don’t think the number on the list correlates to what they feel is the best. Correct me if I’m wrong however.

@Haeldaur – I think you went to Cofax on an off day. I had it just last week and it was as good as ever. Definitely gonna have to make the trek to Azteca Tortilleria again for their breakfast burrito this time tho.

2 Likes

Nope not authentic at all the closet thing would be eating scrambled eggs and cactus with homemade tortillas (or any other Mexican egg breakfast dish)

1 Like

Thanks. We - non-Latinos - are major menudo lovers.

1 Like

Depends on what you mean by Authentic… but in the North where burritos are from, Egg is a very common ingredient in burritos in the form of Machaca. Also, burritos are strong sustenance for field or mine work which begins in the pre dawn hours… so technically breakfast. So in theory and practice… Yes… it is. Just not how most people in LA know it since Machaca isn’t as popular a filling as it is in the Southwest or even San Diego…

3 Likes

Tangential question: Are those Eater lists ranked in order of how good the places are? I always just assumed the numbers were arbitrary.

I can help here! lol hope I’m not breaking publication policy…

For a while the rule of thumb was to number the locations by neighborhood to make it so the map didn’t jump around too much while scrolling down the list. E.g., #1 would be furthest west/east/south and the last number would be furthest on the map from the original.

When I do more comprehensive cuisine lists I try to group by specialization (e.g. the Vietnam one). HUGE EDIT:** Listen to Farley and not me lol

4 Likes

thanks for chiming in on the process at Eater, it’s always interesting how these things are done

You’re not Latino?

:ok_hand:

In my dreams!

Hey all — Farley Elliott from Eater LA. Love all the breakfast burrito talk!

A few things:

• The maps are not ranked. We occasionally, as Euno said above, group the by neighborhood, but that’s it. We also do alphabetically a lot, and try to notify readers that there is no ranking to the numbers.

• As for neighborhoods, we hear this a lot. The truth is we can’t cover every corner of greater LA every single time we write a post or update a map. We actually did an entire week dedicated to the San Gabriel Valley last year for those who think our SFV coverage is lacking, and we spend lots of time in the SGV, South Bay, and beyond.

• For map updates: We don’t change every map point every time we re-run a map, usually it’s somewhere between 4 and 10 points changed. The ones that stay on the map get an eyeball look-over and sometimes a refresh, but it’s not always necessary when discussing concrete facts like ingredients or menu items.

• Got a place you think we left off? Of course you do. Feel free to email: la@eater.com. We’re always around.

9 Likes

Yep, that sounds about right for Eater coverage of the San Fernando Valley… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Well, that’s what I get for writing this quickly while standing in line at the bank. San Fernando Valley Week, obviously – apologies for the mistype, and thanks for reading!