Broken Spanish - Chef Ray Garcia's Elevated Mexican Cuisine with Farmers Market Produce [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

8 Likes

Thanks for the report! Those tortillas particularly look fantastic - they look like they have some nice chew to them. Were the tortillas in the quesadilla dish the same as the ones being served with refried lentils? Sort of hard to tell due to lighting, understandably not your fault.

and fantastic tres leches. i mean, it ain’t your abuelitas tres leches, but your abuelita probably didn’t charge you $12 for a slice of tres leches.

1 Like

The Tortillas are MUCH better than the ones at Rivera, which were just for show.

Glad you got back!! I need to stop by again myself. It’s not quite Rivera in the terms of polish, but still an excellent place for a memorable meal. Very happy to read the positive notices. :smiley:

–Dommy!

Thanks for the report! Those tortillas particularly look fantastic - they look like they have some nice chew to them. Were the tortillas in the quesadilla dish the same as the ones being served with refried lentils?

Thanks noddles! Now that you mention it, I’m not sure, LOL. They tasted pretty similar, but I think they were a touch thinner (being rolled up). Because the side order of handmade tortillas that we had seemed thick enough that they wouldn’t roll as tightly as the one in the oxtail quesadilla.

Thanks Tony! I’ll have to try the tres leches next time. :smile:

And thanks Dommy! It was due to your report that made me check it out in the first place. LOL :wink:

1 Like

I’ll have to get myself over there before Mr. Gold’s review comes out then!

And who do we have to thank for those tortillas? Carlos Salgado out in Costa Mesa. #ocrepresent

2 Likes

This review is so much more appealing than Jonathan Gold’s in the LAT today. There was not one dish which looked good. In fact, some of what he described looked gross. Glad you posted this. Looks so much better than what Gold described.

1 Like

Gold’s review may turn some people off. It did me.

Thanks @maudies5, you’re too kind.

Let me know what you think of it; I need to go back soon.

Congrats to Ray Garcia.

Chef of the Year (per Esquire)

1 Like

I read his review as mostly positive with some stellar dishes as well as a couple misses. I think what may turn many people off are the references to ground up grasshoppers and bisected lamb heads, but as shown by chowseeker1999 and the rest of JG’s review, there’s a lot more to the menu than offal.

So true.
His review was just awful at capturing what the place is really about. Almost as if he was trying to shock readers. Weird.

I read it aloud to my husband and he was also disgusted. It had the effect of confirming that is one restaurant we definitely will take a pass on. Just the thought of a bisected lambs head sitting on a plate at the next table makes me ill. All things considered, I would prefer the unexciting Factory Kitchen.

1 Like

JG does seem to have a propensity towards offal. Remember his top dishes of 2014 and the alternative edition?

He received a bit of backlash for the first and released an alternative list as a result. Although I personally enjoyed the first and didn’t think another was necessary, I understand a large portion of his audience don’t find offal all that appealing, so I find his verbiage for this review curious considering events earlier in the year. I’ll probably find myself at Broken Spanish eventually and hope to see you @maudies5 there too as some of those dishes sound really delicious, bisected lamb heads notwithstanding. :smile:

I think JG senses his ever increasing irrelevancy, and is doing things he would not normally do to make himself relevant, if not at least marginally interesting.

why, look at all the comments about one article by the irrelevant guy. woo woo.

1 Like

What do you think his increasing irrelevancy is due to? I don’t disagree with you, I’m just curious.