Cafe Marie-Jeanne - Humboldt Park

No Marie or Jeanne there, it’s named after the bottle that comes in between magnum and double magnum.

Foie gras. Bigger portion than the picture might suggest (which is true for all three dishes). Good. Very nice brioche toast. I’d have asked them to hold the balsamic or whatever if I’d known. I had foie gras for (very late) breakfast two days in a row since the terrorists won in California.

There’s a big hunk of nice, chunky pate under that salad. Some of the crust was a little too chewy, would have been fabulous fresh out of the oven.

Oh jeez, you get a lot for your money in Chicago compared with SF. This was delicious and I hardly ever see shad roe at home, but I could not finish it.

I wanted to try the legendary Malört, but this was a modern version, a very nice amaro-ish drink.

1 Like

I tried the old-school stuff at another bar. Did not live up to the hype, e.g.

My first impression was that the finish kind of tasted like a pickle dipped in cigar ash drizzled with pain.

In reality, for someone who likes amaro, it’s dry, bitter, not unpleasant but pretty boring except for the chance to learn what wormwood tastes like by itself. I’ve had numerous amari that were more challenging, e.g. Amaro dell’Erborista.

Fan-suggested slogans:

• Malort, kick your mouth in the balls!
  • Malort, when you need to unfriend someone IN PERSON.
  • Malort, tonight’s the night you fight your dad.
  • Malort, the Champagne of pain.
  • Malort, turning taste-buds into taste-foes for generations.
  • Drink Malort, it’s easier than telling people you have nothing to live for.
  • Malort, what soap washes its mouth out with.
  • Malort, these pants aren’t going to shit themselves.

Where I first heard of the stuff:

2 Likes

This place is so so good but the photo of my main is super blurry and I didn’t notice. I’m in love and may have to go back. Did the Wednesday 3 course.

Sardine was interesting. Quite good.

Beef tongue tartine was fantastic. Their bread is to die for. Then white bean spread, perfectly dressed beets and tender tongue with herbs

Pie was rabbit and white carrot with black truffle and foie fugggg

1 Like

And how about those prices?

Normal!