California SOUL - The Delightful Comfort Food of Alta Adams - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]

what are you even getting at? Clearly Alta is not targeting people below or at the median income level for the area. The people at or below the median in the area are probably also not the ones buying the $700k homes in the recently-gentrified West Adams.

AND EVEN THEN

Are you saying people living at or below the median income level for the area can’t have a reasonably nice meal every once in a while? FFS.

6 Likes

Thank you @Ns1.

You can post all the statistics you want Cath, but you don’t understand L.A. The neighborhoods are close together. My ‘hood has the same zip code as Koreatown and Little Ethiopia. I live about 2 miles from Beverly Hills and West Adams (Alta Adams). We live in a very diverse population and like it. Because of this we have no problem venturing into what you might consider a bad neighborhood.

West Adams is on the rise and IMO this is a savvy business move when done right. It also improves the property values for the low-income residents who have owned their homes for decades and their kids who will inherit. The problem is for renters. But here’s something else you also won’t understand (I barely do) - because you are a very frugal person which is good to a certain extent - there are young adults in that $40K median who are willing to share apartments with 3 and 4 roommates just to live over here and have money to go to these restaurants, museums, etc.

Again… Thank you!

7 Likes

Ugh… Don’t get me started on comments like that…

And yes, it’s doing well! In fact, just drove past tonight and they recently added extended dinner hours! This is HUGE for the neighborhood!

6 Likes

Alta is about a ten-minute drive from lots of those businesses in Culver City whose employees make a lot more than that.The closest apartment for rent (maybe in the same complex?) is $3450 for 2 bd. / 1 bath.

The Coffee shop at Alta has started using beans from Tartine Manufactory. In retrospect it’s not too surprising. The cortado they pulled for me was pretty good.

i’ve been serving kale salad to the homeless for about five years now.

hand torn kale, diced apple. tomato, red onion, sliced cucumber with homemade red wine vinaigrette with basic & garlic. the homeless love it. well, the ones with teeth who don’t refuse it, anyway.

4 Likes

Wow, look at you. We just do simple sandwiches, water and fruit. :grin:

the problem i have with sandwiches (besides manual prep) is portion control; x number of sandwiches with more than x number of people showing up forces me to send people away hungry. for me, making a main course & rice with a salad makes more sense logistically. i gauge portion sizes by the number who are there when i show up. and kale (thanks to SK supermarket) is actually more affordable than lettuce. i do agree on water; a lot of folks with diabetes out there on the street.

(BTW today is the 6th anniversary of my getting stabbed while feeding the homeless. had the anterior branch of my carotid severed. i’m taking a cake to the park tonight to celebrate the 6th birthday of gustavo perez - which is the alias the huntington hospital admitted me under - protocol for victims of attacks.)

3 Likes

I love California.

1 Like

let’s make one thing clear - it was entirely a nutrient to price choice - at super king, kale used to be 2 large bunches for $1. that made it cheaper than iceberg lettuce.

1 Like

No, I literally meant it. We feed our homeless kale salad. No wonder everyone wants to move here.

And for the record, I am the number one kale lover on this board. I used to rank restaurants based on their kale salads.

2 Likes

Hi @Bookwich,

Oh nice! What are some recommendations you have for kale salads around here? :slight_smile:

And which restaurants topped your list??? :slight_smile:

I like kale, but only in small amounts. A bit too woodsy for me.

I base my criteria on the fastest and easiest way to not get stabbed. :grimacing: A couple of big bags full of sandwiches, water and fruit. 60 seconds and back in the car.

1 Like

to each their own. some people show up hoping for conversation with someone who won’t treat them like a homeless person more than for the food. others, it takes them years to open up and tell their story.

4 Likes

I gotcha’. I’m not mocking your experience (the stabbing) at all. But that is the scary theme that runs thru my mind constantly. My stepson was attacked by a homeless man he had just helped. It resulted in a trial. An elderly lady was attacked inside our local Ralphs three days ago by a homeless man she was helping. I’m preparing and dropping off food to hungry folks at a unorganized street encampment. Nourishment for people and self-protection is my main goal, not conversation. And they seem pretty happy, so…

I don’t get critiquing how people give. Just give!

1 Like

everyone has a different comfort level. i’d be much more apprehensive doing this downtown. my circumstances are definitely unique. the homeless who regularly show up are actually much more respectful if not downright protective of me now. for the first four months after the incident, one person appointed themselves my personal bodyguard and stayed within 5 feet of me the entire time and never took his eyes off the area behind me. it’s a large part of why i keep doing it, actually. my continuing to do this has earned me a level of credibility & trust it probably would taken decades to achieve.otherwise. last night a guy told me his real name - after about 3 years. he finally felt i could be trusted with it. his rationale scenario - you give your name out to a homeless person, they’ll offer it up as a ‘snitch’ when they get jammed up by the police looking for a suspect for a crime they’re trying to solve.

getting back to food - they’re probably happiest with pizza, but i’ve chosen to provide a home cooked hot meal of modest means with an eye towards basic nutrition. my experiences with donated food have been hit and miss, especially when they want a writeoff. i once got a tray of pasta from a local caterer where pasta was so overcooked the homeless refused to eat it - as did i. but if you complain, no one will contribute. OTOH, i’ve got one guy who routinely contributes a bag of beans and a bag of rice and that’s what he’s content to have as long as i make them. (some hispanics have told me that my beans are as good as the ones their grandmothers make,that’s gratifying. the secret is using enough cumin.) a surprising percentage refuse to eat pork. and will skip the main entree and just have rice & salad. there’s actually practicing vegetarians who appreciate my choice of legumes as a protein source and they come for that. i have no doubt it’s very different from group to group…

my goal is to try and help those who want to be helped. i understand that i might be enabling a percentage of them. just as long as i’m not enabling all of them to stick to choices that has them in their current situations, i’m making progress.

5 Likes

That sounds really amazing, what you do. I never talk to anyone. I’ve worked through a tiny non-profit, where you sign up for a particular date, then drop off the food at the park near skid row, or on another street. They have tables set up, and a few guys help empty my car of the food, I donate $20 to help with the plates, forks, napkins, then I’m free to go.

Baked garnet yams were a huge hit one time. I brought a couple jars of sambal oelek as a condiment and people apparently really liked it.

1 Like

what you do is very valuable. truth be told, as much as i love cooking, i know i need to devote more time and effort in recruiting and being more active soliciting support/resources and delegate food prep/provision to others if we’re going to expand. but enough about me; perhaps you might consider asking if there’s more you can do with the group you’re a part of. it’s a weird dynamic - speaking as someone who’s been involved in the leadership/management of a number of volunteer organizations with a philanthropic bent, the natural thinking is: we’re lucky to be getting people to do this much and that makes us reluctant to make any sort of extra demands. but i’ve discovered that those who want to help can be asked for more and more often than not, they respond quite positively. the point is that if you are in this category and would like to do more, you may want to consider initiating a dialogue because they may be afraid to do so.

1 Like

Update 1:

We were curious to see how Alta Adams was progressing after the early opening period.

It seems Alta Adams has found its stride in terms of being embraced by the local community, as during each of these next 4 visits, it’s always been at capacity, sometimes with a few groups waiting for a table as well.

It’s good to know Chef Keith Corbin is still helming the kitchen, doing the grilling and plating. We overheard him mention to some other customers that he takes one weeknight off, but otherwise is here at Alta Adams cooking and adding new recipes. Owner-Chef Daniel Patterson was nowhere to be seen on these subsequent visits, but it’s understandable since the majority of his restaurants are up in S.F.

Deviled Eggs:

Chef Corbin’s Deviled Egg recipe has remained the same since the Grand Opening period: Still creamy, perhaps a bit more on the Mayo side than Mustard side, with a bit of heat from Paprika.

Fried Chicken:

On this 3rd visit, their Fried Chicken was still about the same as before: A thicker, slightly crunchy batter, but a touch on the greasy side and salty. Passable.

Grilled Fish of the Day - Pacific Rockfish:

Totally unexpected, Chef Corbin knocked it out of the park, serving a perfectly grilled Pacific Rockfish he got in that day. It was moist, tender, flaky and was just cooked through. A good sign when grilling with live fire on that mesquite charcoal grill. The flavor of the Grilled Fish was also nice, clean flavors, bright, some good Salt and Pepper and a Housemade Vinaigrette-type of finisher, the hit of acidity helping brighten the dish up. :heart:

Green Beans Simmered in Spicy Tomato Sauce:

Mac & Cheese:

Still as delicious as before: Chef Corbin’s take on the comfort food of Macaroni & Cheese results in a lighter, but still cheesy, creamy version. The aerated Cheese & Cream is a unique touch that lends a feeling of airiness to a usually heavy dish, while still imparting what you love about a good Mac & Cheese. :blush:

Oxtails & Rice:

Hearing about @PorkyBelly’s woes during their Grand Opening period had us worried. Thankfully it looks like the kitchen might have straightened out their consistency issues in some ways, as there was plenty of their Miso Gravy, and the Oxtails were tender and succulent. They were tied with the Grilled Pacific Rockfish for Dish of the Night! :heart:

Grilled Pork Collar (Chow Chow):

Another surprise, their Grilled Pork Collar takes what might be viewed as a simple, basic dish and elevates it, with deft live fire grilling by Chef Corbin, lending a nice char and some smokiness to the Pork Collar, as well as the bright flavors coming through the Chow Chow relish. There’s natural sweetness (from the Tomatoes), some tartness, a touch of acid, and it just complements the Grilled Pork Collar’s savoriness.

Red Beans & Rice:

Good earthiness, tasting like a well-made version of this Southern classic.

BBQ Cauliflower:

While now being used in many eateries as a sort of meat substitute, Chef Corbin’s version stands on its own, smoky and with pleasing texture as he grills a large slab of Cauliflower over mesquite charcoal, and then brushes it with a Housemade BBQ Sauce to finish things off. It’s tasty as a side dish or main dish, and it was one of our friend’s favorite dish of the evening. :slight_smile:

Black Eye Pea Fritters (Herb Dipping Sauce):

Nicely fried, with a good crunch. The Black Eye Pea Fritters and Herb Dipping Sauce combo is great.

Sock It To Me Cake:

The curiously named Sock It To Me Cake is Chef Corbin’s take on his Grandma’s recipe. He explains that she used to make this for him growing up and he made a version for Alta Adams as a tribute. :slight_smile: This was a nice moist Butter Cake. It had classic, familiar flavors, and tasted like something you might eat when visiting Grandma. :wink: Vanilla, Cinnamon, Sugar, Moist Cake. Joy.

Another Visit:

Deviled Eggs:

Still as consistent as before.

Kale, Avocado & Grapefruit Salad (Ginger Dressing):

A thoughtful, healthy and tasty combination of Kale, Avocado and Grapefruit. The Fennel was a great way to liven things up (along with the sweet-bitter Grapefruit and bright citrus notes).

Oxtails & Rice:

Wonderful again. Long-stewed morsels of tender Oxtail in Chef Corbin’s elevated take on the classic Oxtails & Rice he grew up with, but with a hint of Miso and Soy. :blush: (@TheCookie)

Fried Chicken:

One nice improvement we saw with this 5th visit was that Chef Corbin’s Fried Chicken is improving. The batter is much more consistently coating the Chicken, it’s not as greasy as the early versions of this dish. It’s also not as salty. It is good Fried Chicken, but still doesn’t approach legendary status like Howlin’ Ray’s. Still, if you’re craving Fried Chicken and in the neighborhood, this is a good version to try. :slight_smile:

Coconut Cake:

Like a moist Pound Cake. Simple, homely, but fitting here.

Another Visit:

Cornbread with Honey Butter:

Another dish that has improved over time, Chef Corbin and staff now serve their Housemade Cornbread warm (as opposed to room temperature during the Grand Opening). That warmth with some of the Honey Butter made this one of the best dishes this evening. :blush:

California Gumbo (with Spring Vegetables, Okra Stew, Rice):

Chef Corbin mentioned wanting to serve something vegan for some of his customers requesting a vegan main, so this California Gumbo was created. First, to get this out of the way, if you think of “Gumbo” when taking a bite, you will be disappointed. There is very little resemblance to many of the Gumbos I’ve tried over the years, but I’m not an expert.

It was made for certain customers’ request, and when viewed as a “Vegetable dish,” it’s better, but still feels a bit lacking. The Okra Stew portion is nice, I really liked the Vegetable medley. There’s a touch of heat and vinegar tartness, but it lacks another flavor dimension to evoke “Gumbo.” I miss the Shellfish and Sausage / Ham / Chicken. We probably wouldn’t order this again.

Collard Greens (Vinegar, Smoked Oil):

Smoky, nice char on the grill, and the inside revealed nicely cooked-through chopped Collard Greens, tender from the grilling heat and with just the right amount of Vinegar and Oil.

Fried Chicken:

Thankfully Alta Adams is retaining that improved execution in their Fried Chicken. Still with a thick, slightly crunchy batter, it is moist and tender Chicken within.

Oxtails & Rice:

We noticed new staff on this visit, with Chef Corbin teaching them on the line, pointing out improvements and giving them tips. This probably explains the Oxtails & Rice on this visit:

It was still nicely stewed, wonderfully tender, fall-off-the-bone, beautiful textures with plenty of Gravy, but it was a touch too salty. It wasn’t inedible, but definitely saltier than any of the previous 5 visits. We mentioned this to the kitchen, so we’ll see if the new staff takes that feedback hopefully.

The one glaring weak spot with Alta Adams is its service. It seems that they might be taking the same philosophy as Locol in Watts (their spiritual predecessor, also from Chef-Owner Daniel Patterson), in hiring and training local people from the neighborhood and empowering them. This is a noble gesture, but in all of our visits, the waitstaff feel like they are very much amateurs, not really understanding the basics of good restaurant service. :frowning: Water isn’t refilled. No one follows up to check on if we need any additional drinks, or anything else. On 2 of our visits, our server literally never returned to check on us after taking our order except at the very end for the check. Empty dishes and dirty plates are not removed, etc.

After a good half year plus, Alta Adams feels like it’s found its groove (except the service), creating a welcoming neighborhood restaurant serving elevated Soul Food with a lively atmosphere. While Chef Corbin is still there cooking in the kitchen, he can’t do everything by himself, and his help seems to have had some turnover. Thankfully, many dishes have actually been improving over time like their Cornbread with Honey Butter and Fried Chicken.

Their Grilled Fish of the Day has been a wonderful surprise, and the Grilled Pork Chop (Chow Chow) is another standout. Our favorite, the Oxtails & Rice, has been delicious and consistent for 5 of our visits, but our most recent one turned out too salty. Hopefully it was just an off night / Chef Corbin needing to watch over his new cooks more carefully. But as is, Alta Adams is a great local spot for some casual California Soul Food.

Alta Adams
5359 W Adams Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90016
Tel: (323) 571-4999

9 Likes