Can I "preserve" / dry fresh morels?

I found morels at Costco today (Reno) and bought a pound…for a paltry $18/#. I bought a pound and will love every bite. But is there anything I can do to them for later eating? Low/slow baking? Freezing? Cooking and freezing? Any ideas and techniques will be greatly appreciated. It’s killing me to think that I can’t buy LOTS more of them :slight_smile:

This says you can freeze them.

You remain one of my food-heroes!!! I’m going back and buying a ridiculous amount of them. Thanks, ipse.

If you’re up to it, post some pictures of the dishes you make with them.

My first batch which doesn’t include photos - I will going forward - were slice in half, gentled sauteed in butter, s&0. Wonderful.

Oh yum!

I think morels go wonderful with eggs.

Scrambled, in an omelet, fried, quiche, or even (sliced in halves) as the “biscuit” in an eggs benedict.

1 Like

ipse cooks!

I agree. The simpler the better. Just enhance their ‘glorious-ness’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be more than happy to discuss cooking, home or otherwise, especially if there is enough of an audience at FTC for it.

I probably learned how to devein shrimp before I learned how to ride a bicycle.

1 Like

I just started participating and I love to cook. I’d suggest starting threads on a particular subject or recipe and asking for advice. I’ve learned so much that way.

1 Like

Yup, you and I both, esp. from our Chowhound days.

1 Like

You too? I thought you knew it all…always :slight_smile: Seriously my becoming a ‘decent’ cook is because of CH. And I want to continue.

Awesome. My mom let me in the kitchen at a young age too.

I know. We talk about lack of a Home Cooking presence but :unamused:. I guess we should try to respond to posts like @catholiver 's more often.

I just arrived here and cook more than I eat out so I’ll be sharing things. But eating out is great!

1 Like

Well, my mom kept me in the kitchen. Our restaurant kitchen.

Doing all sorts of wonderful things instead out and about playing baseball or Pac-Man, like skinning broccoli stalks, making and rolling out dumpling wrappers, making hand-pulled noodles, and of course the aforementioned shrimp (and cleaning them), among many other menial tasks.

1 Like

Whereas I had NO experience in the kitchen growing up.

Morels are also a nice addition to spaghetti carbonara - either you reduce the amount of gunaciale or completely substitute gunaciale/pancetta with morels

1 Like

Freezing will keep the distinctive flavor. You might make duxelles and freeze that. If you don’t have a FoodSaver, Costco had a starter kit for under $100 recently.

You can dry them, but the flavor is quite different and to me not as interesting.

2 Likes

Sounds delicious, but if there’s no fatty pork, don’t call it carbonara. And you’d need some clarified butter or rice-bran oil or something.