Can we offer Hungry Onion a chance to join us?

Agreed, Robert.

Thanks for reaching out.

2 Likes

Robert , 100 % you have made the right choice . The worst thing you can do is have a partner . You’re the General . Keep it that way .Thank you again many times for your time and what you are doing for all of us .

I think of my role as closer to janitor than general.

9 Likes

My first job out of school was at the CDC. Everyone’s job description had a final line “Performs other duties as assigned.” :slight_smile:

Hope we can all come together and build a larger community again. :disappointed_relieved:

did you offer them equal equity or we talking buy-out?

cough up the dough MF’ers.

GAWD. F that guy. Cuz he got mentioned on some East Bay rag? NPLZ.

Don’t worry. Our time is coming …

1 Like

well this is interesting – apparently it’s been announced over on Hungry Onion that there’s not going to be a merger – which was news to the guy who started Hungry Onion and had been talking to Robert here.

WTH???

So what happened, @robert ?? Was it a thanks, no thanks, or a random rumor by the hoi polloi over at Hungry Onion???

1 Like

Look above to his quote in my reply . Explains it .

1 Like

I didn’t read that as an edict at all…just a statement of the differences

Would be a pity if they got forced ibto a decision they didn’t actally make

My friend in the UK tells me that the bulk of the London CH contingent are already on Hungry Onion. So I really hope the sites can merge, or at least come to some sort of understanding. I want everyone together in one place!

2 Likes

Seconded.

I can see former CHs going to HO but a random Google isn’t going to turn it up whereas FTC should. So I think we’re likely at some point to get newbies whereas they likely won’t. And maybe that’s what they want.

I don’t know that two sites is a problem so long as individual regions aren’t getting split between them.

So far here only Los Angeles has really gotten critical mass.

As someone who has started a CH spinoff in the past, I agree that it’s not worth the time and effort that would be required to make it not-for-profit and such. People think that websites make millions of dollars, but that’s just not realistic, unless you’re drawing 1m+ visits a month - but I don’t see that happening any time soon. In any case, having two sites isn’t desirable, but if they’re not willing to join, then there’s not much we can do.

Yes, but there’s a LOT of overlap in boards.

4 Likes

I don’t see the point of two sites, but absent a merger I’d consider closing duplicate categories here if they get traction over there and putting pointers to that site.

Hi robert,

Like you and others, I think in a perfect world, if we could merge that would’ve been great, but after you explained the issues they have there, and how they want to do the whole Non-Profit route (and other plans), if they don’t want the merger, we can’t do much about it.

I would say I would not want you to close off Boards you created here, because I think both sites are in their infancy, and it’d be good to just have a place for people to organically grow.

Let’s keep spreading the word and hope for the best. :wink:

Thanks!

3 Likes

I follow several wine-related discussion sites. Many of the same people start the same topic in more than one of them. I don’t think this is a problem; each site keeps its personality.

1 Like