Can we offer Hungry Onion a chance to join us?

The hungryonion.com topic I linked to is now locked, so I can’t respond to some comments that here would be removed for violating the site’s golden rule.

Which I suppose may highlight a significant difference between the two sites.

Ah. You’re going for a niche audience, I see.

Some of those comments about you Robert were strange.

But you guys should really work out a merger. From the exchange you shared you don’t seem very far apart.

Already there are significantly more Boston posts on that board than here (which is mostly me) and eventually I’m going to have to go with the most active Boston board (I don’t really care about anything else, except when I travel). I don’t want to double post (I already post all my reviews on Facebook and Yelp, and until recently CH), and I don’t want to keep having to check two boards to make sure I see everything. I already follow enough other social media (Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, WineBerserkers) that it’s too hard to keep up.

1 Like

I just discovered something really annoying to me about how Discouse is set up on HO differently than there (annoying about HO, not FTC).

They have it set so that posts can only be edited for 24 hours (previously was 30 minutes), and the entire edit history is viewable.

I gather this is based on a concern about trolls changing their posts, which seems to me to be a minor concern. The way to manage trolls is ban them or ignore them, not preserve their comments forever. [It’s really a pity that Discourse doesn’t allow one to block viewing of selected posters. That’s the best way to handle trolls, don’t even see their posts.]

If I actually own my posts, I should be able to change them now or in the future, or even delete selected ones, as I see fit. And preserving the edit history implies that I don’t actually own my own posts, since it is being preserved against my will.

There’s a real-name professional board I’m posting on that has 1000s of my posts going back many years. I’m in the (slow) process of going through it now and deleting any posts that I now feel don’t reflect well on me professionally (nothing extreme, but we all were probably more rambunctious when we were younger). Fortunately I’m able to do that while still preserving the valuable content.

This one thing is enough to drive me to exclusively use FTC. This isn’t the Supreme Court, it’s a food board.

That seems like a bizarre decision. Why try to manage trolls’ behavior instead of just kicking them off?

2 Likes

Huh? When you say the edit history is “viewable” do you mean that anyone can read what the original text was before edit??? If true, that’s a huge issue I think. If I choose to tone down something I typed I’m doing it because I don’t want it seen.

I should know this, but what is this site’s golden rule?

FTC GOLDEN RULE: If you eat it, and you don’t post about it, did you really eat it?

1 Like

Eat, and let eat.

That’s mine, at least.

2 Likes

If thy restaurant be named Go’s Mart, thou shalt serve gold as a vital food group.

That reminds me - Is Chowhound JudiAU on FTC?

1 Like

really, really not convinced that badmouthing another forum*, especially one with so many of the same members, because of their forum policies is helpful or beneficial in any way.

*except for that one – because we were all there, and we’ve all left to some degree, for pretty much the same litany of reasons.

2 Likes

Who’s badmouthing? Just posting facts. Lighten up.

Don’t be a dick.

5 Likes

I’m surprised to learn that the edit history is by default visible to everyone. I just changed that so it’s staff only.

3 Likes

Robert, could you please explain? Do YOU have access to the exact original wording of a post if I edit it within a couple of minutes of posting? Have to say I think that’s not cool at all.

[quote=“Midlife, post:118, topic:365, full:true”]
Do YOU have access to the exact original wording of a post if I edit it within a couple of minutes of posting?[/quote]

Well, on the positive side, if there is an issue with a troll playing games by posting something and then changing it afterwards to play the victim (which seems to be the concern on HO), Robert has the ability to figure it out and warn or ultimately ban the offender. I’m less concerned about that than pseudo-ownership of my posts (if I understand I don’t own them going in, fine, but don’t tell me I do and do a bait and switch).

Robert, do you feel like Jim Leff yet?

1 Like

If you are a published author in any media (website, newsletter, newspaper, magazine, books, etc) you don’t get do-overs, but you always maintain ownership of your own material (assuming you only publish on sites that state that you keep it).

Even if you make a post on your own blog, there are enough screen shots and time-machine sites to ensure that your blunders will be discovered (ask the Food Babe about the chemical composition of the air aboard airplanes – she deleted the post, but it’s easy to find what she said)

You can post retractions, edits, clarifications, addenda, updates, sequels, and other after-the-fact posts to your heart’s content, but you can never unpublish anything in any of those media as either a professional or amateur writer.

I’m really not seeing where all the vitriol is originating because you can’t do any of that on a discussion forum.

1 Like

No vitriol here, I just prefer how FTC is currently set up to how HO is set up, so I’m going to post exclusively here. More control over your words is a good thing not a bad thing.

If it was set up differently, I’d make a decision based on that.

1 Like

The settings regarding edits are:

ninja edit window:
For (n) seconds after posting, editing will not create a new version in the post history.
default: 300

post edit time limit:
The author can edit or delete their post for (n) minutes after posting. Set to 0 for forever.
default: 86400 (60 days)
FTC: 0

edit history visible to public:
Allow everyone to see previous versions of an edited post. When disabled, only staff members can view.
default: enabled
FTC: disabled

delete removed posts after:
Posts removed by the author will be automatically deleted after (n) hours. If set to 0, posts will be deleted immediately.
default: 24

1 Like

From what I gather looking at HO, there doesn’t seem to be much interest nor need to “join” this site.

It’s pretty lively, with many boards and plenty of activity beyond SoCal.