Can we offer Hungry Onion a chance to join us?

We shall see if there is room for two boards, or any boards, or even if CH can recover.

This board has the huge advantage of having everyone from LA, which will inevitably cause it to grow.

I will push Boston here.

1 Like

Well, at least I have 5 minutes to edit out my regrettable sarcasm. ;o)))

1 Like

It is remarkable how active the LA board has become here, a veritable flood of CH exiles almost overnight.

Two sites work fine. I’ll try to post more Bay Area comments here as well.

3 Likes

Robert, I’m not remotely knowledgeable on this subject, but for “ninja edit window” do you think that is set too short? I know when I’m posting a long review, I may end up editing and saving a dozen times to correct typos and get it exactly right, perhaps over an hour or two. If all of those versions are retained after 300 seconds, does that take of a lot of server space which might eventually cost you more $$$?

FTC and HO got about the same amount of traffic this week. Neither’s really very busy compared with the traffic Chowhound used to get.

1 Like

if I’m writing a really long anything, I create it in word first, edit to my heart’s content, and THEN post. Saves all kinds of problems, including when I get interrupted mid-edit.

2 Likes

How about writing your review in a doc or txt format until you’re happy with the result and then post it here? That might be more feasible for longer reviews.

3 Likes

Ha! Shoulda read all the comments before posting…

2 Likes

I usually write it live one one of a number of sites (Facebook, Chowhound, Yelp) first, then cut and paste it to each of the others (at which point I discover more mistakes).

That should keep the lawyers busy arguing who owns my profound words.

Sunshine, it may be a good method on a PC but switching windows and apps on a mobile device is not that simple. Sometimes when I go to my ‘Notes’ app to draft something (on my iPhone 4) I can’t get back to where I was on the board and have to start all over again to make the reply to the post I intended (which is now showing as already read). It may be me, or the phone, but it’s just not really a preferred methodology since I’m on my cell far more than on my PC. JMHF. (Just My Humble Feedback)

I’m a mac person all the way, but it’s never occurred to me to compose a lengthy review on my phone.

me, too, neither – I hate writing long communications on my phone – even with the autocorrect seemingly possessed by demons (because really – who writes anything in which “poo”, “transvestite” and “pubic” appear regularly?? Whatever entity inhabits my phone apparently does…) I can’t see enough of what I’ve written well enough to effectively proofread, and trying to hit all those little buttons with my average-sized fingers just pisses me off after a while)

Tedious as it can be, the AC function on the iPhone has given me some good laughs, tho. I still remember composing a msg to a buddy, starting the sentence with “wanna shoot some…”.

Among the usual three suggestions was ‘people’ — when what I actually wanted to write was ‘pool’.

Murrcah! :laughing:

Obviously some posters here are not using an iPhone.

Every time I want to write “fuck” it auto corrects to “duck”

It can be quite a task requiring mucho amounts of digital dexterity to post about “fucking ducks” at my local restaurant when using an iPhone.

3 Likes

I have begun “muting” topics of no interest to me. That has gone a long way toward hiding those duplicate posts, since they’re all on the same topic. I recommend this course of action.

1 Like

That was my issue here on FTC - CA seems to be the only active board. On HO we are active in NY/CT which is where I am.

2 Likes

I :heart: that thread.

1 Like