Canadian Travelling to LA - Recommendations and feedback?

For my taste buds, Salt & Straw always seemed higher in sugar content compared to its competitors.

1 Like

Mother Moo

1 Like

That makes USC’s Rose Garden look like a front porch planter. Had no idea that existed.

3 Likes

To be fair, different animals. The Botanical garden at UCLA is a teaching garden. Definitely worth a visit, especially when there are heavy blooms.
Be aware that the garden is closed during school holidays like winter and spring break.

My leftover breakfast this morning agrees. Langer’s on a Sunday glitch in the matrix.

But for what it’s worth, my fav is just pastrami on rye with mustard. Think that version is tops, but I wouldn’t turn down a #19 (neither would my cat).

3 Likes

To OP, I’ll admit that I haven’t read every post. But a lot of them. And have been so impressed with what I’ve read. ANYWAY :slight_smile: of the places/dishes that you ate, were they all/most/few recommended by people here?

Sorry for the delayed response, was dead tired for about two days since i got back which i wasn’t expecting given it was only a 3 hour time difference!

I think everything was in line with what was recommended. I only wished i could have had some more variety at Guelaguetza because the menu was immense but after ordering the mole chicken, that’s all i could eat. If there was some kind of more varied platter, i might’ve been more excited by this meal (maybe there was and i totally missed it on the menu).

Though as i mentioned, the croissants at La Republique and Pitchoun (my own find) would not qualify as “good” in my books. Almost resembling supermarket quality here rather than the quality expected at a French bakery. Though i don’t want to misrepresent by seeking out something that LA may not be known for, i just wanted a croissant for breakfast and to eat some pastries. Maybe Sycamore kitchen would have fared better?

The osh was sublime because it was a new food experience for me (aside from being really tasty, i love the contrast in texture), and the ambiance was also quite nice. A little patio with persian music playing in the background, tucked into a side street. As i said, i only wished i could have tried Saffron & Rose because the flavours definitely seem more exciting than Mcconnell’s but the latter was where i happened to be at the time. I did pass by Salt & Straw too but the line was quite long so i passed.

Went to Intelligentsia twice haha, even brought back the tea leaf! I’m really impressed by the blend, even though it ranks among some of the priciest tea i’ve bought (except for that matcha i got in Kyoto). As a tea drinker, i feel like i’m being stiffed 90% of the time in North america.

In terms of the strangers thing, it was mostly waiting in a queue, although a bus driver taking me to UCLA did strike up a conversation and told me what he loved about the city, then directed me where to go once we got to UCLA so i appreciated that. I just meant that people seemed more extroverted in LA.

Also an aside, I visited “the last bookstore” in DTLA and loved it. Such an extensive collection of books, and records too! A first edition Hemingway for $1200! I actually completely forgot to visit Amoeba, although maybe that’s better for my wallet :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes Amoeba will eat up your wallet and your time. I used to spend at minimum 2-3 hours there back in my younger days. It instantly became a must and a classic.

Aww I wished you hit up the Griffith Observatory! Probably the best touristy thing to visit here. Best to go early afternoon/after lunch, catch a show, look thru the exhibits, and enjoy the view during the day and at night.

1 Like

I will eat the croissant at Amandine in a pinch b/c it’s literally located a block away from where I live, but I otherwise refuse to eat any croissant in LA except for Chaumont.

1 Like

Super. More Proof croissants for me!

Yeah, I wonder if time of day is an issue. I had Proof croissants twice (I think?), and I didn’t find them to be that great. But clearly the place has its fans, so perhaps it’s just me.

Same experience here. One and done.

I’ve had better croissants at breakfast buffets in Mumbai

Hmmm… Maybe a case of “Sergio Syndrome” here?

Entirely possible. Since I don’t live/work anywhere near Proof, I don’t know what their “usual” level of quality is.

Just had Proof croissant and it was excellent

Respect for finding Mashti Malone. Haven’t seen that picked often. That’s my shit

1 Like

Mashti Malone was very popular back in the Chowhound days. I think once other similar options became available (the ice cream counter at Super Sun Market, Saffron and Rose on Westwood), Mashti kinda got lost in the shuffle. Add all the other ice cream places that have opened over the past five years, and it’s a very hard to still stand out.

3 Likes

I came across Mashti Malone because it was in a central area (ok didn’t realize Hollywood blvd was so gaudy at the time!) but never ended up going either.

I should have done more research for the bakeries though it was more of a spur of the moment decision while I was there. Hopefully the croissant discussion sparked in this thread will be useful for future visitors.

I did indeed visit Griffith observatory during the day and enjoyed the view there. Though i was not able to capitalize on the 0.50 cent observatory bus because it turns out the metro day pass did not cover the full fare, and i paid a $1 to cover the 35 cents charge since i had no change and didn’t want to jump off the bus to look for some.

2 Likes

Really don’t enjoy the update to Mashti. Soul is gone. Still good yums though