Cape Seafood and Provisions is officially open

true. I did a historical tour of Salem a couple of years ago (my nephew wanted to check out the “witch stuff” after we got all of the “official” family events out of the way) and I learned that not only was lobster prison food, but it was determined that feeding it to prisoners on a daily basis constituted cruel and unusual punishment. hahaha

Not a huge selection, but the fish sold by Dry Dock at some Farmers Markets are superb. No one sells better Steelhead or lox. They get wild Alaska Salmon from a local source in Alaska. It is the only reason for this westsider to go to the BH or Brentwood Farmer’s Market.

Dry Dock Comes to South Pas FM on Thursdays – I generally give’em a miss because Mrs. O eats “nothing with a face,” but she’s leaving me alone for half of April, and I certainly can demolish a salmon in a few days. Glad they’re Alaskan; spent seven years in Anchorage, and salmon was on almost every table I was invited to. A nice big one given to us by an old guy we met in a bar one night was the first thing I ever charcoal-grilled! Successfully, too. Bet I could do that again …

Dry Dock is also at the Larchmont FM on Sundays. Love their sweet smoked salmon and sometimes we get the seasoned fix mix too. They also have great dips.

Per Eater LA, Cape Seafood & Provisions is closing at the end of the month.

I stopped by once (albeit on a Sunday) and the offering were just dreadful. Went right to the seafood counter at eataly.

…And supposedly, indentured servants had it written into their contracts that they could be served lobster no more than twice a week.

I really liked Cape. They had the most amazing smoked black cod and other unique smoked fishes I have yet to find elsewhere in LA. Also really appreciated the solid consistency of their fresh tuna, black cod (w/ no pin bones!) and SB uni.

If Chiramusti–arguably the king of seafood in LA–couldn’t make this retail effort work in a fresh-fish devoid part of town, Im not sure who could?

Jeez, these daily closing announcements of awesome LA food spots are really starting to bum me out:(

I totally agree with you. I was rooting for them when they opened, but the selection was spotty at best when I dropped in on several occasions and the prices were pretty high.

This was my go-to for lobster rolls.

Now I have to trek out all the way deep into the Valley at The Joint to get my lobster roll fix.

How is The Joint? Been wanting to go for a while now.

It’s great, except its out in the boonies. Great aged fish for home sushi/sashimi. Coffee program is, without sounding hyperbolic, outstanding.

They’re also going to be offering Sunday night prix-fixe dinners (7 courses) soon, which should be fantastic.

2 Likes

Ventura and Woodman is deep into the Valley?

1 Like

Forgive me, father. For I have sinned.

Shame about Cape Seafood. I do agree with @Lefty, the one time I visited slim pickings but what I purchased was excellent quality wise.

Dang! @ipsedixit You’ve been holding out. Place looks awesome and in my part of the sticks. Is this the first retail aged fish seafood market in the US (Okasana in Brooklyn aside)??? Didn’t even think they existed in the US save the sushi bars. Any idea how long they’re aging them fishies?

Generally at least 5 days and no more than 10 from what I’ve seen.

Like their amberjack is usually aged 4-5 days. Good stuff.

1 Like

surprised this place hasn’t been written up yet because of the aged fish program, but not surprised @ipsedixit is all over it. been following them on instagram because they promoted some gyotaku event with dwight hwang.

1 Like

How we picture the Valley from the other side.

IMG_7205

I think aged fish is still a very new and foreign concept for most. Most shoppers are accustomed to fresh is the best and will likely remain the dominant method of selling fish; analogous to dry aged beef. I see the immediate problem in the US for seafood is the ease of finding fresh high quality fish without having to pay an arm and a leg.

2 Likes

It’d be a lot easier if people were open to trying new types of fish and in different forms but the average American seafood consumer picks VERY safe options which are often the most boring but also where a lot of distributors makes their most margins.

1 Like