Catalina Island

Hola, dawgs.

Gonna finally take the Catalina plunge. Any updates or recent reports?

Are you going to Avalon or Two Harbors?

In Avalon, I thought Avalon Grille was pretty good (and not just for Avalon). I think I’d probably try to avoid any restaurants otherwise…

Si. Avalon. Thanks for the note on the Avalon Grille.

If you can get out of avalon or two harbors the rest of catalina is amazing. I stayed with a friend who teaches at one of the conservation camps and it was such a great time, got to go hiking, spearfishing, scuba diving, and surf ben weston and shark harbor, way different experience than either avalon and two harbors. If you’re choosing one spot I would recommend two harbors over avalon, much quieter and chill vibe, pack your own food and have a nice cookout in nature!

3 Likes

Watch out for bison herd roaming around.

2 Likes

I saw some bison when we were driving by in an SUV on one of the back roads. Would hate to run into them on foot. My buddy told me how he was biking on one of those roads rounded a bend and almost hit a bison standing in the middle of the road, dropped his bike, and had to hightail it out of there because he was scared the bison was going to try to chase him down and gore him.

Those bisons can be some mean mo fo’s and they love standing in the middle of the road…
:ox:

2 Likes

Make sure you have the island cocktail fave. . .Buffalo milk…
Delicious and some places do these frozen!
:sunrise:

2 Likes

+1 on the Buffalo Milk. Doug’s Harbor Reef in Two Harbors does it best from what I remember (it’s been awhile), but Luau Larry’s does a credible rendition. If at Luau Larry’s, you should also go ahead and get your Wiki Wacked.

2 Likes

Gonna have to try the buffalo milk when I’m in two harbors a couple of weeks from now.

1 Like

Love Banning House for the wine and cheese social from 5-6…
Also, Doug’s Harbor Reef is a great place for Buffalo Milks and has some decent food too.
If my Uncle’s mooring ball in Avalon would be leased out, we’d head down to Isthmus and it is a world away from Avalon.
Snorkeling around Cherry Cove or Parson’s is wonderful.

I love Catalina Island…
Have a blast!

2 Likes

Luau Larry’s does a pretty good rendition of Buffalo Milks…
Descanso Beach too.

Marlin Club in Avalon is one of the BEST Dive Bars Evah. . .

1 Like

I grew up spending a week every summer there, so I have to hit (the original) Antonio’s for a slice. Not that it’s great, but I remember how good it tasted to me as a kid after a day snorkeling, diving off the mole, and laying out on the old boat ramp.

Sand Trap always served a solid, basic breakfast, at least back in the day. It was a convenient stop on the way down from Bird Park where we camped.

I haven’t been to Marlin Club, but I did spend time at JL’s Locker Room (not as a kid, mind you).

Oh, and do you remember the shirts that said, “I got pregnant at Fred & Sally’s because I didn’t know there was a Safeway.”?

1 Like

My Uncle with the mooring ball in Avalon is from Lido and we’d spend a lot of times, like you on Catalina…
Antonio’s for a slice is always tradition…
I really like Sand Trap and the golf course with their poa annua grass/greens…
Eric’s on the pier…
Buffalo Nickel if you fly in via helicopter. . .puff puff
You must get thee to Marlin Club STAT!

1 Like

JL’s, brings back hazy memories, have not been inside in 20+ years, but back then it was ‘different’.It used to be off limits to sailors, not sure if it is still the case. Up until then, I never realized that Avalon was a port of call.

1 Like

We did it, gang! Catalina has been conquered.

• LUAU LARRY’S - Buffalo Milk was consumed; Wikis were Wacked.

• DESCANSO BEACH CLUB - Highly recommend reserving a set of chaise lounges and sitting out for the day. A dreamland where it rains rose and snows loaded nachos.

• ANTONIO’S PIZZA - Fine for a quick slice, even if you don’t have the nostalgia factor that others mentioned in this thread. Would be especially nice after a night at the next door Marlin Club, I imagine.

• EL GALLEON - The patio is a solid spot to people-watch over a German beer and fried artichoke.

• SCOOP’S ICE CREAM - Surprisingly good! There was a line there all day but walked right in at night. No relation to the mainland Scoop’s though, I gather.

• ORIGINAL JACK’S KITCHEN - Split the Hawaiian Breakfast. Too sweet for this island boy, but the look and feel of the diner is tops. Would opt for a more traditional diner breakfast next time.

• AVALON GRILLE - A good option when you want a well-AC’d restaurant with better-than-average fare. The beat/tomato/watermelon salad was really refreshing.

Another gracias to those who have contributed to this thread with recommendations over the past year (!) T’was a grand way to spend a birthday weekend. Now, If you need me, I’ll be in the corner recovering with bunches of raw kale and aloe vera.

11 Likes

I didn’t feel pretty enough to eat there. :wink:

Happy b-day!

Thanks for the report, and happy birthday!

I almost recommended against El Galleon. The food, for me, has always been subpar, but the people watching is glorious and the drinks do their job.

1 Like

Outstanding Birthday Boy!

I find when it’s June gloom at the beach in So. Cal, Avalon is sunny and ready to party!

I forgot to add that I love having beers on the pier at Eric’s…
:metal:

The sad state of the shrimp scampi at our neighboring table confirmed as much. Luckily it’s tough to screw up a pint :slight_smile:

On the list for next time, fur sure!

2 Likes