Catalina Island

See, this is sounding like a good trip for MY family. :slight_smile:

1 Like

People with eyes generally have all they need. 1 night stay is plenty. If you dont even drink it’s a day trip

3 Likes

Yep, it’s very pretty.

Agree, unless you’re going there for fishing (and I don’t fish).

I thought it was fun to go there as a kid w/ my school b/c you’d get to stay and study in areas that are off-limits to tourists. I think Avalon itself is painfully, PAINFULLY boring.

it is in the (old) Italian sense… sort of. Still def worth a visit, for people who haven’t been b/f.

3 Likes

Seems like more of a get out the city, relax and enjoy the scenery type of place.

2 Likes

I love it over there. I just keep my expectations on food fairly low. It’s not the season now, but snorkeling and diving there are great. I remember my first trip there as a kid not being able to believe how clear the water was.

Nowadays, it’s all about nostalgia for me… with the addition of adult beverages. I still like to grab pizza at Antonio’s (OG location or the new(er) waterfront one. Gotta hit Luau Larry’s to get your Wiki Wacked and have a buffalo milk or three.

Also agree with @Nemroz on the golf cart for taking in the scenery, and I spent plenty of hours in the arcade as a lad.

6 Likes

Same here. I remember going on a night dive and being captivated by the sight of bioluminescent microorganisms that lit up like fairy dust when I ran my hands through the water.

7 Likes

You guys have just planned my summer trip. :blush:

2 Likes

When is that flying fish jumping season? I need to take the kid to that

Would Solvang be more their style? Browsing, shopping, edible pastries? (I’ve not been in years, to be honest, and never with kidlets.)

3 Likes

Here is a link to the Catalina Island Chamber of Commerce guide to activities with children, Kidalina | Things to Do with Kids on Catalina. The glass bottom boat would probably be a hit. Honestly though if they don’t snorkel or hike Catalina isn’t a great destination.

2 Likes

I have seen them year round, but the big season is summer, Catalina Island Flying Fish Tour | Find Nighttime Boat Tours.

3 Likes

Hi @ElsieDee -

I told them what to expect on Catalina and they still want to go, so…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Tell them to eat some pot brownies and just let the kids run wild. There are no cars there so the worst thing that can happen is a bison incident

7 Likes

Hi Buddy -

I checked and they still want to go. Your links will be helpful. And I actually found a couple of swanky hotels that are more their speed.

Thanks!

2 Likes

My favorite is the Banning House, Banning House Lodge | Catalina Island Bed & Breakfast, but its in Two Harbors which is even more rustic than Avalon.

2 Likes

Actually the food served on Alcatraz was very good. They had fresh fish ,steaks ,roasts , fresh veggies , desserts. They wanted to keep the prisoners happy. I took the tour

2 Likes

Yes, it happens.

Yes, I am aware.

Which is why I said the food at Catalina is worse

got ya.