Catch LA - What would you do

So returned to Catch to take a good friend and her husband for a Birthday dinner. The food was good but the place is beyond pretentious. In any event I didnt want to have an issue over who was going to pay the bill (since my wife and I wanted to treat). To that end, before desert, I excused myself and walked to the front where I found the waiter. I gave him my credit card and told him to please bring one plate of cookies with a candle and then if anyone wanted something else they could order. I also told him to run my card and put a 20% tip on for him. Went back to the table. A few minutes later the waiter came by with a desert menu. I was a bit taken aback but what can you do. In any event a few deserts were ordered and then the bill came. It seemed high and then I realized the waiter had given himself a $120 tip on a $300 bill. I walked back to where he was standing and said there appeared to be a mistake on the tip. He looked at it and said, “you told me to take a 40% tip!” I know this was not true and (while I like to tip generously) have never given a 40% tip at a restaurant ever. I wanted to give no tip at all, but did give him 20%. I wanted to report this to the manager, but did not want to deal with having him fired. Instead I chose to post this. I wont likely be back. What would you do?

2 Likes

He came with the dessert menu and without the cookies and candle?

To avoid a fuss, you could have taken a photo, corrected the tip, taken another photo, and followed up later.

I would’ve asked him, “are you able to just void the last one and rerun the bill with a 20% tip, or should I ask your manager?”

The waiter’s presumptuousness is incredible.

4 Likes

I would still call and speak with a manager, that is outrageous. If I was in management there I would want to know what this DB is doing to my customers. That is shocking.

4 Likes

fuck this restaurant, why go here in the first place. for Kardashian wannabes

Have your wife call to complain pretending to be Larry David’s PA.

1 Like

Tell the manager and have his ass fired. That’s absurd.

2 Likes

I would first smite him with Mjolnir, in much the same fashion as you would with Jörmungandr.

(And then recount the tales of this miscreant’s deed with the manager.)

He deserves to be fired.

Bring it up to a manager. You are a better person than I, I would have given no tip.

Then end it with this line:

I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you’re looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money… but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you… but if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you… and I will kill you.

1 Like

the serpent kills the hammer man.

sincerely,
snorri sturluson

Well, you can’t return no anyway, that waiter will trashtalk you to the Kardashian and Hilton set, and you will be a social disgrace.

Should’ve paid the ransom, what’s an extra $60 when you’re spending $4-$500 for an evening with LA royalty?

1 Like