Celebrating California Through the Lens of Israel, Turkey, Yemen and Beyond - Brunch, Lunch and Dinner at Kismet! (w/ Pics)

Thanks for the report, we have a reservation next week. Hope there is enough meat on the menu for me.

I would like to see more cocktails on the menu, but will give the soju punch a dry and maybe some white wine.

1 Like

Hi @linus,

Thanks. I would say, “Yes.” On the 3 visits, our total bill ranged from ~$37 - $52 per person total (including tax & tip). And the time we broke $50 we had leftovers.

Hi @Bookwich,

Thankfully no. :slight_smile: I tried both the benches (against the wall) and the seats, and they were comfortable. I hope you get a chance to try it.

Definitely agree @tailbacku. That’s what makes Kismet so interesting for us. :slight_smile:

Guessing they don’t have a full liquor license? Also, the food doesn’t exactly look like cocktail-friendly food haha

Get the rabbit for two! =)

btw, your take on the Shakshuka at Republique echos my experience

2 Likes

No, because you can sous vide scrambled eggs.

You can poach scrambled eggs too…

And you can microwave scrambled eggs, too.

But that doesn’t make them (poaching, microwaving, sous-vide) interchangeable.

So you’re arguing against yourself here?..

No, just against you.

One person at a time is all I can handle.

You’re the one who said sous vide is the same since you can sous vide scrambled eggs.

So you’re arguing against yourself.

Maybe you’re hitting happy hour too hard?

No, I am saying sous vide is not the same as poaching.

Poaching scrambled eggs and scrambled eggs sous vide are not the same.

And why isn’t it the same?

Have you tried making eggs using either method?

While techniques like poaching, steaming, en papillotte, and even boiling, all share traits similar to sous vide, the major differences are (1) that a food item that is sous vide never comes in contact with liquid, just heat transfer and (2) most importantly that sous vide allows for precise temperature control.

A properly prepared scrambled egg sous vide is going to taste different than a scrambled egg that was, say, microwaved or steamed.

1 Like

Microwaved eggs are an atrocity.

1 Like

Let’s stay on topic folks.

2 Likes

Update 1:

There were a few other items on the menu that we wanted to try, so what better way to try them than with friends who’ve been wanting to go? :slight_smile:

Kuku (Middle Eastern-Style Frittata with Swiss Chard, Barberries & White Beans, with Greens & Yogurt):

This is Chefs Sarah Hymanson and Sara Kramer’s take on the Persian Egg dish known as Kuku. It is indeed like a Frittata in a way, served slightly warmed. The Eggs are moist and the Kuku is soft and pliant. I really liked the White Beans and softened Swiss Chard interspersed throughout.

There’s a delicate herbal blend in each bite.

The Greens Salad was great, lively and spicy with fresh Italian Parsley, Dill and very fresh Mixed Greens.

Turkish-ish Breakfast (All the Things, Served with Bread & Greens):

The humorously named “Turkish-ish Breakfast” with “all the things” is a cute and impressive array of fresh, little bowls of various items, letting you mix and match, and decide what you’d like to eat with each bite of the Toasted Barbari Bread:

This is a Persian Bread made by Bub & Grandma’s for Kismet and it’s fabulous! Toasted crunch, nutty, fragrant and a nice base for the rest of the items in this dish.

We started with a dab of the Skhug (Spice Mixture of Garlic, Coriander, Chili Peppers and other spices):

Shkug is a spice mixture of Yemenite Jewish origin. Light spiciness, peppery, garlicky and delicious, this is the condiment we fell in love with in their Flaky Bread dish. :slight_smile:

Marinated Feta & Squash:

Went well with a dab of that Skhug and the Barbari Bread. It’s nowhere near as pungent as a classic Greek Feta, mellowed out and creamy.

Harissa Eggs:

Their Harissa Eggs were only lightly seasoned, but thankfully so, since you get the salt from other items served alongside it.

Marinated Olives & Dates:

There were 3 different types of Marinated Olives, all with differing levels of salinity and flavor. Mixing that with a bite of the Harissa Eggs and the Barbari Bread was a nice little combination. :slight_smile:

Eating the Dates with a bit of the Marinated Feta & Roasted Squash and some of the Toasted Barbari Bread made for a suddenly enjoyable sweet “Brunch” feeling.

Pickled Vegetables:

Their Pickled Veggies provided a nice tart angle.

Housemade Labneh and Persian Cucumbers:

Overall, the Turkish-ish Breakfast was an interesting do-it-yourself way to snack on a variety of flavor profiles for Brunch. If you’re unsure of what flavors you’d like to mix and match, then it might be better to stick with their other dishes.

5th Visit:

Grapefruit-Anise Soju Punch:

I was hesitant when I read the word “Soju,” as that Korean Firewater is usually too much for me. :frowning: But this tasted nothing like that: Really bright and refreshing, lightly sweet, and licoricey from the Anise, this was a great Cocktail. :slight_smile:

Marinated Mussels (with Pickled Shallots, Swiss Chard & Currants):

While it looked small, the amount of Mussels (imagining them with their shells) is ridiculous. The Marinated Mussels were meaty, a bit dense, but flavorful. They had a deep infusion of an exotic spice blend, which was quite nice. The issue was the Pickled Shallots and Swiss Chard. We felt it clashed with the Mussels, being a bit too tart from the pickling. It overpowered the Mussels. :frowning:

Rabbit for Two (A Feast with Flaky Bread, Greens, Pickles, Tahini & Yogurt):

We had seen this on our first dinner visit and wanted to try it, but considering it was pretty much the entire meal (as advised by our server), we decided to try for variety of dishes at that time. Now it was time for their “Feast.” :slight_smile:

Roasted Rabbit Breast Skewers with Roasted Squash:

Knowing that Rabbit is an inherently very lean meat, I was prepared for dry protein sticks. :smile: However, Chef Sarah and Sara have worked their magic and the Rabbit Breast Skewers were delicious! :slight_smile: While lean, they were still moist, and lightly spiced. There was a slight smokiness, but the Roasted Squash interspersed with the Roasted Rabbit Breast was even more delicious!

But it was important to grab a piece of their delicious Malawah “Flaky Bread”:

And add a dab of their Homemade Tahini:

And then eat it with the Rabbit Breast. The result is this crunchy, toasted Layered Bread base (from the Malawah Bread), an amazing creamy, nuttiness from their Homemade Tahini (this is amazing!), and then nicely spiced, roasted Rabbit. :blush:

Confit Rabbit Leg & Thigh:

When we heard “Confit,” was imagining the soft, lush meat from a classic French Duck Confit. Surprisingly, Rabbit Leg & Thigh Confit turned out to be the leanest, slightly dryish piece of meat from all of the Rabbit served here. :open_mouth: We were thinking it should’ve been moister and fattier than the Breast, but the Roasted Breast Skewers were more moist.

The Confit Leg & Thigh wasn’t bad - it had a nice meatiness - but it was slightly dryish and very lean. Of course, eaten with the Malawah Bread + Tahini and it was easy to overlook (that’s how good it is!). :wink:

Rabbit Offal Hawaiij Stew with Chickpeas:

Disclosure: I’m not a really a fan of Offal usually, finding Liver, Heart and other organs a bit off-putting at times (well, mainly Liver ;)). That being said, the Rabbit Offal Stew was the highlight of the evening!

The Hawaiij seasoning is a Yemenite Jewish recipe, with Turmeric, Cumin, Cardamom, Coriander and other spices. Chefs Sarah and Sara have created a heart-warming, crave-worthy, absolutely delicious Rabbit Stew! :blush:

It’s aromatic, exotic, yet still familiar, warm and earthy from the Chickpeas. Dipping some of the Flaky Bread and we couldn’t stop eating this! And you couldn’t really taste any heavy Liver-like flavors thankfully. I had a bite of what tasted like Rabbit Menudo (some Stomach or Intestines perhaps) and it was meaty, with a little chew, but tender.

I could just have a bowl of this Rabbit Stew and the Malawah Flaky Bread and be happy! :heart:

Jeweled Crispy Rice with Egg Yolk:

When we first saw the Jeweled Crispy Rice pass by, we noticed every other table turning to look as well. :smile: It’s eye-catching and interesting-looking. We had to order one. :wink:

Made with a local Basmati Rice, it’s toasted crispy and crunchy, capturing that absolutely delicious “Toasted / Rice Crust” that makes things like a Hong Kong Clay Pot Rice, or a Spanish Paella with Socarrat (the caramelized crust on the bottom of the pan) so enticing.

It’s crunchy, nutty and fantastic with the Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Currants. But then you break it down the middle and you get this gorgeous oozing magic of a Poached Egg:

Light, naturally creamy and luscious from the Egg Yolk, crunchy from the Socarrat Caramelized Rice Crust, this is SO GOOD! :blush:

Service has improved on this 5th visit compared to the early first two visits.

Kismet continues to deliver some interesting dishes. For meat lovers, the Rabbit for Two is a fun, delicious way to sample Rabbit Three Ways, with the Rabbit Stew being the highlight. Although I still love their Persian Cucumber Salad, Freekeh Fritters and the Malawah “Flaky Bread” (savory) the most. :slight_smile:

Hours:
7 Days A Week
10 a.m. - 11 p.m.

Kismet
4648 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Tel: (323) 409-0404

7 Likes

Great report, thank you.

Thanks @Bookwich, hope you get a chance to try it. :slight_smile: