Celebrating California Through the Lens of Israel, Turkey, Yemen and Beyond - Brunch, Lunch and Dinner at Kismet! (w/ Pics)

Yes would also like to hear about mhzh if anyone has intel. Stopped by the other day there was a wait but was late to a concert so we couldn’t wait.

Really curious to learn more about this green sauce. I gather it’s not spicy like zhoug? Any idea what’s in it?

Hi @Bigmouth,

It’s lightly spicy. The first time had more heat than the second time (most recent) visit. Made of Spinach, Pickles, Garlic, Spices and Serrano Chili. It’s delicious. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dang, Kismet is really good.

Here’s what three of us split:

• Freekeh Fritters & pickley green sauce - A highlight. Loved that sauce, boiiiii.
  • Fried Cauliflower with caper yogurt - Another goodie. Light fry on the cauliflower but still a good crunch under the yogurt blanket.
  • Lemony Chicken & Pine Nut Pies - This was the only miss of the night for us. Frank Miller’s Salt City.
  • Summer Corn with sweet potato, coconut & moroccan olive - This seasonal dish is oh so freaking good. My friend apparently hates corn (loser), but he loved this dish (winner).
  • Eggplant with plum, hazelnut & tarragon - A dream! The eggplant was perfect and the hazelnut made it all pop.
  • Jeweled Crispy Rice with egg yolk - I can see why some may question the value at $14, but I couldn’t stop eating this. A crispity crunchity yolkie delight.

The service was great. Friendly, willing to talk through the menu, but also spaced out so we were able to sit back and enjoy ourselves. Refreshing, especially considering the gratuity is included. Also refreshing were them winez. Really fun list.

Long live Kismet.

3 Likes

Hi @President_Mochi,

So glad you enjoyed Kismet. :slight_smile:

Yes! The Freekeh Fritters (and that Pickley Green Sauce!) are so good! We also loved their new Summer Corn dish. And that Eggplant and Jeweled Crispy Rice.

If you’re ever back in the area for Brunch / Lunch, give their Flaky Bread with the savory option (not the sweet) a try (it’s not on the dinner menu).

How garlicky is the food here? Friend suggested Kismet for brunch.

Hi @Bookwich,

I didn’t remember a lot of garlic in most of the dishes. Are you sensitive to garlic / not a fan? Just looking over the dishes we had… the Cucumbers, the Freekeh Wheat Polenta w/ Lamb, Flaky Bread w/ Egg and Tomato Sauce (so good), they were all garlic-free. (Although the Skhug Sauce (the metal thimble of concentrated paste) has garlic).

Also, they can work around any garlic allergies if you let them know ahead of time.

Thank you! No allergy, simply an intensely strong dislike. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wat…?

5 Likes

Haha.

I’ve never actually noticed garlic in anything i had in Kismet, but am not sensitive to it.

Impaling food much, Count Vlad? ;-D

2 Likes

We’re going to have to kindly ask you to leave our forum

7 Likes

Haha, people. We like what we like. :slight_smile:

What if every time you ordered pasta or a taco or fried rice or pizza, some cook thought, “Hey, you know how I could up the flavor? 'I’ll add some natto!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

8 Likes

Natto is wonderful sticky stinkiness from the gods.

2 Likes

There’s a good locker room joke in there somewhere.

2 Likes

You’re talking to a guy who loved stinky tofu from the get go.

Just wondering if anyone has been here lately. Got a resie at Bavel for next weekend, but since I’ve been there so many times, wondering if it’s worth a re-visit to Kismet.

Never had a bad dish at kismet

2 Likes

Off-menu fried chicken sandwich at Kismet:

2 Likes