Chandavkl [via LA Weekly]: The South Bay’s Hidden Chinese Dining District

David Chan aka @chandavkl - new article in the LA Weekly
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/the-south-bay-s-hidden-chinese-dining-district-7974918

6 Likes

Great article, @chandavkl!

2 Likes

Thanks though I’m upset I mistakenly placed Seashore on Anza instead of Calle Mayor

Don’t lose any sleep over it. It’s not like anyone actually reads the LA Weekly anyway.

I appreciate the history.

I have never had Chinese in South Bay, but I knew PV had a small Chinese population. When heading to that area is was always for Del Amo Mall, Yaohan Market, Sushi, King’s, and Redondo Pier.

When I read the title I was hoping you would mention:

And her parent’s restaurant.

1 Like

:cry:

1 Like

That can be easily corrected. Just let the editor know the correction and it will be magically taken care of.

1 Like

No, no references to MK’s tragic second Olympic bid!!! :frowning:

interesting story.

when i first moved out here, even though i lived in the SGV, i spent a lot of time in the south bay since i had a lot of chinese friends from back east who’d taken engineering jobs in the south bay and were living in redondo, torrance & PV mainly. i was down there an average of five days a week and while we ate out fairly often, we never went for chinese food; the perception even then was that it was overpriced and it was better to partake when eating with “the people” up in chinatown and in the SGV. probably different for families with kids, etc.; clearly these chinese restaurants got enough business to stay open.

Recent openings of Little Sheep and Tasty Noodle House chains, as well as Ruiji are definitely an upgrade. Heck, even Honey Boba, too. Enough local PV Chinese were afflicted with the Chinese stomach or a fear of driving to SGV to keep places like A-1 BBQ and Harbor Palace going for years. I wonder if something is happening demographically to account for the recent positive reversal of fortune. I certainly was surprised.

1 Like

Another that speaks to this is O’Young’s Rock Pot closing their Alhambra location and opening in Torrance.

1 Like

I think Chinese people are like mold on a damp building made of drywall.

Twinkle Brown Sugar, a generic Taiwanese boba shop, has opened up in (of all places) Huntington Park. Not just any place in Huntington Park, but right smack in the middle of the city’s core.