Chandavkl's latest LA Weekly piece discusses the cracks in the great Cantonese dining wall of Los Angeles Chinatown [LOCKED]

1 Like

21 posts were split to a new topic: [Chandavkl’s latest LA Weekly piece discusses the cracks in the great Cantonese dining wall of Los Angeles Chinatown RetCon{

So is this not an English “speaking” site? With all these in Chinese it leaves many of us out.

2 Likes

cut and pasted into bing translator:
“Melon meat belongs to the Cantonese (commonly known as: steamed Minced pork), the main raw material is ground pork, jianggua, taste is taste, process steam, cooking difficulty is intermediate. The dish of sweet and salty, flat, kidney and nourishing blood, nourishing yin for moistening dryness. Flowers is actually salted small”

3 Likes

Perhaps posters could do that. Thanks.

is it ok to use terms in english that others might not know?

1 Like

What’s an example please?

2 Likes

Pork patty success:

The cutting of whole strips/blocks of pork, then the dual cleaver chopping (12 second mark) technique, then the hand mixing in the bowl, are vital to achieve the ideal texture. Oh and can’t forget the pork fat which needs to be cut and chopped separately from the lean meat.

1:22 - mixing both beef and pork together (separate dish)

The steamed pork patty with salted egg over a layer of tofu looks excellent.

Beef and 35 year old dried orange peel…drool.

3 Likes

35 years? Mine was useless after a couple months.

1 Like

35 years is nothing.

There are some that have aged for 60+ years. And, yes, they be pricey.

спасибо за ссылку я не читал китайский

Really? I don’t speak or read Chinese either, but if I really wanted to know what it said, I’d use Google Translate.

5 Likes

Как жаль.

People can do what they please but understand that some people won’t read. And it does kinda seem that this doesn’t really happen except with Chinese.

honi soit qui mal y pense?

(shame on him who thinks evil of it)

1 Like

It’s that person’s loss then.

1 Like

I guess I don’t see the point. Why not write completely in another language?

Well, considering this is an American site, and the USA doesn’t have any official, established language, I’d say it can be in whichever language one chooses to post.

The only people “left out” are those who are too lazy to go to https://translate.google.com/ (might want to bookmark that one) and do a little copy/paste.

It’s really not a big deal, and takes less than 10 seconds to do.

Perhaps they could, but perhaps one could also “pull themselves up by the bootstraps” and do it themselves, flexing that muscle of American Independence while humming the Star Spangled Banner.

Seriously, you could have translated and read everything twice in the time it took to make these posts to complain about the lack of English in a rather passive-aggressive way.

How about “check your privilege”?[quote=“catholiver, post:33, topic:4947, full:true”]

People can do what they please but understand that some people won’t read. And it does kinda seem that this doesn’t really happen except with Chinese.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure everyone is well aware of the lack of universal language skills. In fact, there are several posters here who regularly make light of the fact that their Chinese isn’t good at all despite their ethnicity and ask others who are more fluent for assistance with reading posted signs and menus. David Chan, for example, doesn’t speak Chinese other than a little self-described “pidgin Toishanese” that doesn’t go very far.

Exactly.

Because sometimes it’s just easier to communicate certain ideas in another (or more native) language. Sometimes, like in this instance, wikipedia NOT in English is going to have more in-depth articles on esoteric topics like historical provincial origination of a particular dish.

Flip it: do you think Spanish-language wikipedia will have the breadth and depth of information on Cuisine of the Pennsylvania Dutch? Actually, the German version seems to be the most robust entry!

Why is this such a problem for you? You’ve devoted so much more time calling-out and arguing (stubbornly?) the issue instead of just copying/pasting into Google Translate. English-speaker to English-speaker, it’s all coming-off a bit…not particularly favorable, like it’s maybe rooted in some kind of fear of the “other” or something.

7 Likes

i asked somebody the time, and they told me how to build a watch.

5 Likes

For future reference if we are discussing a Kosher restaurant, should I write in Hebrew or Yiddish?

4 Likes