Charcoal venice -outstanding (redux)

Here’s a pic. Little dark but you can see it’s only a deboned breast with the leg thigh combo

why does chowseeker’s pic looks so big? it’s like 10+ slices.

10 sounds about right. Angle of my pic makes it look less. Here’s a different angle.

Looks a lot smaller than what I recall they were serving about 4-5 months ago.

1 Like

Totally agree. Ours was large. Maybe xtralarge. It’s still xtra delicious, yes? Side note, has anyone been to their brunch?

Stopped by tonight with all intentions of getting the $50 dinela menu. But after finding out the 21 day aged liberty duck was avaliable i pulled an audible and I’m so glad i did. @Thor, @CiaoBob, @Chowseeker1999 were right, holy shit it was ducking great. Best duck I’ve ever had. The meat was firm yet tender, the skin was perfectly crisp with a slight sweetness from the honey glaze, the fat was rendered just right, and there was just the slightest blue cheese funk from the aging. I also got a kanpachi collar that was spot on.

8 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Sweet! :slight_smile: Yes! I think you captured the phrase I was thinking of, “a slight blue cheese funk.” Not in a bad way, just different. I loved it, but my guest was a bit off-put (but loved the Duck skin and meat tenderness). :slight_smile:

How’d I miss the Kanpachi Collar? Glad to hear it was great. I’ll have to try that next time, thanks.

1 Like

The kanpachi collar was on the specials menu, the belly was also avaliable.

I’m going to have and go back for the dinela menu, it looked like a great deal. I just hope i can stop myself from getting that fucking duck again.

2 Likes

Both look terrific!

1 Like

I’m not sure what comprised it, but the time I had it it was huge.

We’ve got to get to Charcoal !

went recently in a group of 3, and overall thought the meal was outstanding when taken as a whole.
The location is rather nondescript, and the decor is minimalist/somewhat generic. However, the emphasis seems to be all on the food, and it’s an excellent showcase for what Joe Johnson can do with a grill.

Starting off with the vinegar on every table; cool that they infuse it with spices and use old bourbon bottles.
IMG_3198

Cocktails: Midnight Margarita (El Charro tequila, Cointreau, charcoal, lime) and Beauty in a Glass (with gin instead of vodka; also raspberry pepper, egg white, lime). Both were outstanding, the Midnight Margarita seemed like one of their signature drinks with the charcoal component obviously; both were tasty, well-balanced. The bartenders seem like they’re skilled here.
IMG_3202

Cabbage baked in the embers, yogurt, sumac and lemon zest ($12). Popular and seems like one of their signature dishes, but I’d pass on this personally next time – a bit bland and seemed somewhat overpriced for what it is, though it is still tasty and well-prepared.
IMG_3203

Special/seasonal: Salmon collar with yuzu kosho and chives ($14). Crispy skin and fresh-tasting fish, good depth of flavor.
IMG_3204

Heirloom tomato salad (grilled lemon cucumber, Reed avocado, shaved onion, smoked tomato vinaigrette). $15. Fresh, good balance of acid and juicy sweetness from the tomatoes and vinaigrette, with richness from the avocado. Does the job if not especially memorable.
IMG_3205

21-day aged half Liberty duck ($65). Wow. a show stopper, had incredible flavor (loved the slightly funky taste of the dry aged fat), perfectly cooked. Thanks to everyone else who posted about this, definitely worth trying if you like duck.
IMG_3206

Salmon Creek Farms Pork Porterhouse, Marinated and Charred ($39). Tender and flavorful, loved the contrast of the meaty pork with the char/browned marinade.
IMG_3207

Heirloom eggplant, sweet potato, green curry, coconut milk ($14). Loved the curry flavor here, not overpowering but went well with the eggplant; really interesting and well done.
IMG_3208

Coal roasted carrots, sheep’s milk ricotta, herbs, honey and black pepper ($14). Lovely – the creamy cheese and the herbs/black pepper balanced the sweetness of the carrots with the honey, and the roasted/char flavor gave it an earthy sheen on the tongue.
IMG_3209

Desserts: summer tart (peach) and strawberry yuzu trifle. Both were good but if I had to choose, next time I’d just go for the summer tart.
IMG_3210

Service was friendly if a bit clumsy (depends on the waiter). Wine list looked interesting and well-priced. They have an extensive menu and I can’t wait to go back and try more of it. Highly recommended

14 Likes

Your post inspired me to visit Charcoal earlier tonight for the first time.

In sum, agree with the outstanding sentiment. Every single dish we had was both delicious and well prepared.

Chicken Wings:
My dad was really in the mood, so we started with the wings, which come in a set of about 4 wingettes and 4 drumettes. Well cooked and well seasoned, the wings are tasty from the get go. However, it’s the three sauces (traditional BBQ, chimmichuri and the chef’s take on A1) that really elevate the wings. The traditional sauce was my favorite, rich yet pronounced, flavorful but not such that the taste of the chicken disappears. These were quite tasty wings, but I’m not much of a wing person, so I doubt I would order these again, though my dad and other wings fans likely would.

Cabbage in the embers:
Can’t say I’ve ever had cabbage I truly thought was delectable, so tonight was a first. The taste is very satisfying, not quite sweet but not quite bland, that perfect middle ground of just the right amount of flavor. The yogurt sauce is good, but I almost prefer it without. And in response to brritscold’s point, they actually brought this out as a free amuse, so can’t complain about the price.

Brocollini with fingerling potatoes:
Man, the brocollini are BOMB. Perfectly cooked, such that they still hold their shape, but soft enough to easily go down in one or two bites. Delicious seasoning with a nice breadcrum-esque crusting. I want these every night. Only complaint is the lack of fingerling potatoes. There was quite a large portion of broccolini, and maybe 4-5 extra small potatoes (emphasis on the small).

Seasonal special - Pappardelle with roasted pork:
The pasta itself was just a tad over cooked, but was still in the zone of acceptability. The red sauce was good, nothing revelatory, but the pork was the clear standout. Little pieces of perfectly cooked, tender pork. If the dish was just paddardelle in a tomato sauce, I would pass, but the meat makes it a worthwhile dish.

DUCK:
I don’t know what else needs to be said. This is likely the best duck I’ve ever had. Aged to selection, cooked to perfection. Not even much of a duck guy, but this was the clear showstopper. Comes medium rare unless requested otherwise, which is how you must experience it. The meat is tender, flavorful, with a satisfying crispy skin that provides that additional bit of texture and sodium you didn’t know you needed. I came in around 645PM, and there were about 4 left for the night, so make sure you reserve it as soon as you sit down to be safe. The waitress indicated they usually have about 20-24 per night available.

Rating: 8.7/10
loaxley pick

4 Likes

Hi @Loaxley,

Nice report and glad your 1st visit was enjoyable. :slight_smile: Yah that Aged Duck is amazing; one of our favorite dishes as well.

Is this related to Charcoal Grill & Bar on Beverly (which looks like crap)?

No. It’s related to Melisse

Wound up at Charcoal for an early dinner not realizing it was dinela. Turned out to be a great meal at 59 + 7 $ each for 2 glasses of the house wine with turned out to be much more interesting than expected

5 Likes

It was really a lot of food. Not pictured was the waguu - cooked to a perfect mid rare and the peach dessert that’s sending me to bed lol.

1 Like

Wow a little bit of everything for $59. That’s amazing actually.

They always put out a great menu for DineLA. Though I was disappointed to see that your cabbage seems to have had less char than it usually comes with.