Chimichurri (either homemade or pre-made)

Any recommendations for a decent chimichurri recipe? If there’s a decent packaged product or herb mix (add oil / vinegar) that is ok, too. (My herb mix stash from Argentina has gone stale.)

Here’s some info from CH including Veggo’s which was pretty famous. I’ve never made it.

1 Like

This one is really good:

It’s from an LA Argentinian steakhouse. Here’s a link to all three products (chimichurri, spicy chimichurri, and aioli)

http://www.chimichurrisauce.com/chimichurri/

1 Like

Prolly more traditional to use dried oregano but I’ve used and enjoy this recipe. Chimichurri From Chef Francis Mallmann -- New York Magazine In Season Recipe - Nymag

Francis Mallmann’s Chimichurri

1 cup water
1 tbs. coarse salt
1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 cup fresh oregano leaves
2 tsp. crushed red- pepper flakes
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the salt, and stir until it dissolves. Remove from heat, and allow to cool. Mince the garlic very finely, and put in a medium bowl. (1) Mince the parsley and oregano, and add to the garlic, along with the red-pepper flakes. (2) Whisk in the red-wine vinegar, then the olive oil. Whisk in the salted water. (3) Transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and keep in the refrigerator. Let the flavors mingle for at least a day, and serve with grilled meats. The sauce can be kept refrigerated for up to 3 weeks (adapted from Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way, by Francis Mallmann with Peter Kaminsky; Artisan, 2009).

1 Like

I believe traditionally you’d leave it on the counter to lacto-ferment.

The name of the sauce probably comes from Basque tximitxurri ([t͡ʃimiˌt͡ʃuri], approximately chee-mee-CHOO-ree), loosely translated as “a mixture of several things in no particular order”; many Basques settled in Argentina in the 19th century.[3]

There are also various (almost certainly) false etymologies purporting to explain the name as a corruption of English words, most commonly the name “Jimmy Curry”[4][5] or “Jimmy McCurry”,[4][6] but there is no contemporary documentation of any of these stories. Australian chef John Torode essentially attributed the name to a corruption of the English soldiers’ request “give me curry…give me curry,” during Cooks Abroad, a documentary for the BBC.[citation needed]

Michelle Bernstein’s version is our favorite. I always get requests for it when we have people over.