Chubby Rice makes NY-Style Egg Rolls and General Tso' Chicken

Anyone looking for NY style egg rolls should check out Howard’s Cafe.

Howard’s Cafe
1051 South Alvarado St
Pico-Union
(213) 385-7991

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I am that “anyone” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got gifted a set of Chubby Rice’s housemade sauces.

Overjoyed doesn’t even begin to describe it. Just stupendously awesome.

5 Likes

Damn I wouldn’t mind a gift of Chubby Rice’s sauces.

I love their General Tso’s!!!

1 Like

Just read the OP

I need to come back and try the Char Siu

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: What’s a good place in NYC to get some egg rolls?

Gourmet Palace China Bistro also has NY style egg rolls.

Yeah, Uh… no.

Had them last week. They were more like something out of Manhattan KS. Soggy blimp-like things that reminded me of the ones at Green Apple. Tasted, or lacked taste, the same too.

So far, Emperor Express leads the contest, at least in the Valley.

Thank you for keeping your eye out for Egg Rolls!!!

1 Like
9 Likes

Super nice people. Pre-pandemic, I’d see a constant flow of drivers running in to grab orders, the counter was always stacked with orders ready for pick-up.

Hopefully with that as a backbone it’ll provide enough revenue for them to survive until better times.

5 Likes

Chubby Rice is the best. I picked up some takeout near the start of COVID-19 and it seems like business is pretty steady. In addition to their egg roll, their salt and pepper calamari is excellent.

6 Likes

now Im feeling guilty…its out of my normal range but I had been there maybe 10 times before this past year…yes, I deserve to feel guilty but will try harder to get over there…I loved Chubby Rice!

Of all the odd places. Desperate for some grub to eat in the car while parked in the Marina.

Drove by a sign that said NY Chinese food, so I thought maybe I can get the elusive egg roll.

Yep, Wacky Wok on Abbott Kinney at Washington. Wrapper was right, cabbage crispy, not greasy at all, but missing the shrimp and bbq pork.

Still, pretty damn close. Emperor Express in the Valley leads, but this was up there.

(Photo credit: Yelp!)

6 Likes

Gr8pimpin, i was photographing a friend’s concert a few weeks ago in Frogtown and as I was arriving I noticed a place called Egg Roll King at the corner of San Fernando & Fletcher…excellent NY style egg rolls…less greasy than Emperor Express…check it out!

2 Likes

God bless you, Mr. Maven, thanks for the heads up!!

Wifey and I were talking about Emperor Express and we both brought up that they were good, but often a bit greasy.

1 Like

My pleasure, Gr8pimpin!!! def check them out…I tried their egg rolls 3x and they were never as greasy as Empress Express…ithink you’ll dig it!

1 Like

Hey Gr8pimpin and all the NY style egg roll lovers out there…went back to Egg Roll King this afternoon with a fellow egg roll fiend and confirmed they’re better than Empress Express…crispier skin and def less greasy!

6 Likes

Yeah!! That looks good!!!

What’s inside? Do they have the little shrimp and BBQ pork?

I think either chicken or veg…but when I told them id been there a few times and have been raving about their egg rolls she went to the kitchen and made a fresh batch…might be ok to ask for pork or shrimp

1 Like

Eggroll King’s egg rolls are chicken.

Excellent. They fried them up for me fresh. Not greasy at all.

Definitely less greasy and cheaper than Emperor Express.

Thank you for turning me on to this place. Now I’m going to have to do a Emperor Express x Egg Roll King x Wacky Wok Bang x3 and compare.

9 Likes