Classic American Breakfast Done Right - Plow [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

6 Likes

Nice pictures! What time did you go? My son used to live around the corner and every time I drove by there was a long line. Even in the rain.

Thanks @Glencora. :slight_smile:

We went early, a bit after they opened (in the 7 a.m. hour).

Even better than the biscuits in my opinion, is their Hong Kong Toast.

Also, I wish they had eggs-in-a-hole for adults. It’s becoming harder and harder to convince them I’m under 10 years old so that I can order off the kid’s (or Little Plow) menu.

1 Like

And I still need to do one of their wine dinners.

But apparently they’re all booked up for the summer/fall because of private events.

1 Like

Hi @ipsedixit,

Eggs in a hole. LOL! :smile: I must try that next time.

I saw that Hong Kong Toast, but wasn’t sure if it was any good. Thanks!

And the wine dinners sound really cool also. :slight_smile:

Glad you liked it! I love those potatoes.

1 Like

So where was the 4th bang? Inquiring bellies want to know.

1 Like

Just posted it! Thank you @PorkyBelly! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update:

We loved our previous visit to Plow and this morning felt like a Plow sort of Breakfast (thanks again @thechez5 @BradFord). :wink:

Thankfully there was only 1 table ahead of us, so we only had to wait 5 - 10 minutes.

Genmaicha, Toasted Rice (Green Tea) (Five Mountains Organic Tea):

I wish more restaurants in So Cal would serve Five Mountains Organic Teas. This Genmaicha was wonderful, bright, and warming on this slightly chilly morning. :slight_smile:

Fried Chicken Sandwich (Cabbage + Jalapeno Slaw, Aioli, Acme Bun):

Plow’s scratch-made Fried Chicken Sandwich is crunchy (although there’s no crisp), with the Chicken tasting really fresh, on the bolder seasoning side. The Jalapeno Slaw and Aioli were nice counterpoints to the Sandwich. But the Acme Bun is what detracts (a touch). The Acme Bun is a thicker, sturdier, chewier Bread, and while it never disintegrates during the eating of this Sandwich, it’s also too sturdy and thick. It’s a tasty Fried Chicken Sandwich, but it won’t make us, @PorkyBelly @TheCookie and others forget about Howlin’ Ray’s legendary version. :wink:

But their Plow Potatoes remain as stunning and delicious as last visit! :blush: As before, they blanch and smash the Potatoes and then fry these nuggets of joy up for you. This is the crunchy, crispy exterior and fluffy potatoey interior that’s what you crave for in an early morning pick me up! :blush:

Shirred Eggs (Spicy Tomato Sauce, Two Eggs, Shallot, Thyme, Cream, Pt. Reyes Toma, Griddled Acme Levain):

We looked for @ipsedixit’s beloved Eggs-In-A-Hole, but didn’t see it on the menu. :cry: so instead we went with some Eggs encased in this hearty Sauce. :wink:

Taking a bite… just ridiculous! While advertised as simply “Shirred Eggs,” this is almost like the most delicious Shakshouka I’ve ever had! The Eggs are perfectly soft-boiled and luscious. The Tomato Sauce base is not too acidic (like some versions (@tailbacku and I suffered through)) :wink: , there’s a deep savory, umami quality and sweetness, the bit of Thyme coming through, and a gorgeous lightly creamy, bit of funk from the Pt. Reyes Toma… you ladle this on top of the crusty, toasty, crunchy Acme Levain Bread, and it’s SO GOOD! :heart:

(@PorkyBelly @bulavinaka @Bookwich @TheCookie @A5KOBE and others, don’t miss this!) :slight_smile:

As we were leaving, I suddenly remembered the Hong Kong Toast (darn it!), sorry @ipsedixit. Next time, I’ll remember to order it (can’t wait)! :slight_smile:

Plow
1299 18th Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Tel: (415) 821-7569

6 Likes

Is there really a difference?

I mean that’s sort of like saying “they didn’t have pizza so instead we got an open-faced calzone.”

By the way, love Plow. And especially their wine dinners!

1 Like

Nice report, @Chowseeker1999! I ate here maybe a year ago? I had a crab scramble with a green salad on the side. Have I mentioned I love a beautifully dressed green salad? However, most everyone else had potatoes with their meal, so I was able to taste them and think to myself, next time, potatoes AND salad. :slight_smile:

P.S. I may go for that blood sausage. :wink:

P.P.S. I was just reading through the websiteand see the owners are Oliveto alum! That used to be one of my favorite neighborhood places.

1 Like

Hi @ipsedixit,

:grin:

How was the wine dinner? What were the highlights? I’ll have to try and make a reservation next time. Thanks.

Hi @Bookwich,

Nice! I was looking at that Crab dish! Was it worth ordering? And definitely try that blood sausage at Benu! :wink:

I thought the crab scramble was fabulous. The eggs were cooked soft and the Dungeness was sweet and fresh.

As for Benu, after your report I am definitely setting aside some disposable income for next time I’m up north. I have piggy banks for these things. :wink:

1 Like