Cocktails and Dinner in West LA

I get together with a buddy of mine once a month for happy hour that usually turns into dinner. I think we’ve hit a bit of a rut and I’m hoping someone can pass along a favorite that will be a delight. We usually end up spending between $75 - $125 each, but we like a deal. We’ve done Flemmings, BOA, Bandera, really loved Ingo’s Tasty Diner, L’Assiete Steak Frites. I know that’s a lot of steak places, but it doesn’t have to be a steak place. I think steak places usually have a good happy hour, so we end up there. Basically the criteria is:

1. Good cocktails (happy hour discount a plus)
  2. Good appetizers / bar food
  3. Potential for dinner
  4. Good / fun crowd
  5. 2 people for about $200 (but cheaper is better)

Charcoal

3 Likes

Red O on Ocean Ave has a pretty good and well priced happy hour. Food is better than OK (imho a lot better, but not wonderful). Transition to dinner has seemed easy.

1 Like

Here’s Looking at You does some of the best cocktails in the city. 2 drinks + a full meal rarely breaks $100/pp. (Drinks ~$15, apps/small plates $12-24, large plates $24-37, steak $3/oz [skip], dessert $7-12).

Get the Avocado, Market Lettuces, Tartare, Sweetbreads, Frog Legs, Prawns, Hamachi Collar (not all at once - this is probably enough food for 3, or close).

For dessert get the Yuzu Tart, or sit at the bar for the opportunity to have some of their fantastic pie ($8).

Looks great, but KTown is not neutral territory for us, so we try to keep it to West LA

Apologies, missed that bit somehow >.<

Hatchet Hall?

I second Hatchet Hall but here’s some other places that might fit the bill also…

Cannibal has a solid happy hour discounts on wine, beer, and old fashioneds plus free charcuterie plates and good happy hour sandiwches.

Their burger is really good can’t speak for the rest of the food, but its got a good vibe and nice interior. In culver city but very close to where 405 and 10 meet.

Louie’s in Mar Vista is also delicious. Great happy hour on cocktails and beers. Many of their cocktails are made with their house made honey, made by the owner’s mom who’s a beekeeper.
It’s more of a bar with very tasty bar food. Asian inflected Southern dishes, the chicken gumbo, honey sriracha fried chicken, burger, shepards pie, etc are all very good have a specials menu that rotates frequently. The food can get quite heavy and its more gastropub food than elevated dining (ie hatchet hall) but basically everything I’ve had there tastes good.

I’m a Westsider and my go to places are Cannibal and Hatchet Hall for happy hour ~~> dinner.

Holy Cow has a happy hour with pigs in blankets and other neat snacks. Beer and wine only, though. (Culver City)

The Lobster

1 Like

Wally’s is a lot of fun
Dan Tana’s is great but $200 might be tight.
The bar room at Spago has a reasonable menu
Bar Bachon is nice to sit outside

Louie’s also has a patio in back which is nice and quieter than the bar.

My favorite Happy Hours:

Vito (Santa Monica on Ocean Park)
Belcampo
Charcoal

Thanks all, I think we’re going with Charcoal. I love Louies and Hatchet Hall, and now I can’t wait to try Cannibal since it’s stumbling distance from me.

3 Likes

We drop in there after farmers market often during football season. Excellent drinks, but the food is very heavy. Everything is meat, gravy, biscuits, etc. They have a friggin market full of produce outside their front door and can’t be bothered to utilize it. Makes me assume the chef is a bit lazy.

When in that area, I usually go to Accomplice/Little Fatty for happy hour and dinner. It’s a great bar atmosphere.

2 Likes

Have fun, I enjoy sitting at the bar at charcoal. The locals are friendly and the food is really good