Coni'seafood post Sergio

Isaan Station accepts credit cards for delivery (or at least Eat24 does, through which they provide delivery… same thing). Food is too good :frowning:

1 Like

The fish is totally worth it at $30. It’s a lot of food.

3 Likes

One zarandeado is a lot of food, three or four servings.

Restaurants trying to keep prices to a minimum are often cash-only. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’re cheating any more on their taxes than places that take credit cards.

That. And if the PZ is done ~ as good as Sr. Penuelas, then that was a missed opportunity. Of course not everyone is going to love it so YMMV.

$30 for a kilo of wonderfully sourced and prepared fish is a perfectly fine value, imho.
(granted the fish is weighed with the head, tail, bones, included)

that said, i haven’t made it back to coni’s since sergio left, so i don’t know how conis’ fish is these days.

to me, the most likely reason not to take credit cards is not wanting to pay the merchant fee that the restaurant is charged by the card company.

if i owned a mom 'n pop place, i wouldn’t take cards either.

also, card acceptance complicates tipping and tipping out.

1 Like

It’s so strange to see in a place so modern and clean… so had to use the ATM again and pay the whatever $7.50 fee. I’m quite certain these businesses also under-report sales. I’m not about to report them or anything but I feel it’s shitty in 2017. Hope I’m wrong.

Their prices aren’t at any sort of minimum, @robert

Wow. Was that their ATMor someone else’s? Not taking cash at a place like this is shady and feels like a bit of an fu to one’s customers. Charging that high a fee is ridiculous!

no, the ATM charges 2.50… i think banks charge like $5 more for withdrawals from outside atms. whatever i’ll just be better prepared next time.

My bank reimburses me for other banks’ ATM fees up to $7 a month or something like that.

Which one is that!?! that’s a nice service.

Mechanics Bank, used to be Northern California only but they merged with California Republic Bank so maybe it’s available in LA.

1 Like

Dead presidents (and the occasional Benny Franklin) live another day… Huzzah!

when i use my credit card at any restaurant, i get 3% rebate from the card company.
i’d imagine that the card company takes a cut from the merchant fee big enough to cover my rebate IN ADDITION to their cut.
if i owned a restaurant, i’d do whatever i could to avoid paying those amounts.

1 Like

I know that Charles Schwab reimburses all ATM fees…worth it for places like Isaan Station plus it’s super helpful for abroad purposes

what, pray tell, would the cleanliness of the restaurant have to do with taking credit cards or not?

when i went to taylor’s steakhouse, home of the disgustingly filthy carpet, they took credit cards.
plenty of clean places don’t take the cards
plenty of filthy places do.
independent variables, in my experience

According to J. Gold in the article linked above, it’s the best of the PZ at the three places he tried it, which included Sergio’s current residency.

Thought I’d share this with Coni’s Seafood and Mark Wiens/Migrationology fans. He was born in AZ, lived in France, DR of Congo, Kenya, attended ASU then moved to Thailand where he is now based with his wife and young son. They travel a lot and post YouTube vids, mostly of the food he eats with some informative/historical info about places he visits. Glad he ate at Coni’s. We attempted to eat at Cheko El Rey del Sarandeado in Long Beach when Sergio was there but unfortunately, they were closed that night and we never returned-boo. Mark’s vids are about 2 months behind so for now, we just get a brief IG tease.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk3_0RjFwOo/?hl=en&taken-by=migrationology

3 Likes