Corti Brothers in Sacramento

The Italian sub thread on the L.A. board inspired me to post about a tasty one I tried in my neck of the woods on Sunday. Corti Brothers is a full service grocery store featuring a wide selection of Italian specialties and knowledgeable, personable employees. Our deli sandwiches were giant, and priced around $7. I got the Corti Special with a mix of deli meats paired with the cheese, bread, and toppings of your choice. A worthy Italian sub (though I couldn’t resist picking Dutch crunch bread :grin:). We took home fresh sauce and frozen beef ravioli for dinner. Their ravioli are the oldest continuously produced food product in Sacramento. Next time I want to try the chicken and pancetta ravioli. Truly a neighborhood gem.

5 Likes

I’m going to stop on by this Sunday on the way home from Sac . Loading up on goods to bring home . Love this store. Great wine selection also.

1 Like

Whisky too…

2 Likes

It’s an amazing store. They have things I haven’t seen elsewhere, or rarely: obscure amari and eaux de vie, high-end canned fish from Spain, fancy dried pasta, obscure wines, Graber olives. Foragers from Chez Panisse used to shop there in the early days. Darrell Corti, the wine buyer, is famous in the industry for having an incredible palate. Also for having banned wines with over 14% alcohol.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Grocer-Darrell-Corti-navigates-a-world-of-rare-9182014.php

1 Like

Could be the most elite italian grocery store in California .

1 Like

It might have the most sophisticated and eclectic selection of any fully-stocked supermarket in the country. Maybe some upscale groceries in rich neighborhoods have a similar selection of fancy stuff, but you could do all your shopping at Corti Bros., including all the normal mainstream stuff you’d get at Safeway or Von’s or the like.

It’s not particularly Italian any more.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a bold statement! I look forward to returning soon and exploring more. I’m a teetotaler, so I won’t get to take advantage of their wine and spirits.