Critique my itinerary

I doubt they could get Le Comptoir for this weekend.

The thing about Republique is it’s pretty, but is it cozy or really that romantic? I pick The Little Door for that. But then again I haven’t eaten the food in a long while and the vote on this thread seems to be a unanimous thumbs down, so. Petrossian is an excellent alternative.

Thanks everyone!! Much appreciated! Based on your recommendations, I will switch Little Door. Raku is not open Sunday which is the night I’m looking to book. I like the idea of Bazaar because I really like Chef Jose Andres. But, I thought I’d read mixed reviews? I had kind of written off République because a brief look at pics didn’t look romantic but it sure is getting a lot of love here. So, Bazaar or République?

1 Like

Prioritize Suzanne Goin. She’s wonderful. There’s an aesthetic to everything she does (Larder at the airport excluded). Just pop in to the bar once and observe while enjoying a lovely cocktail. We like sitting on the cusp of inside and the patio, getting best of both worlds. Hope you’ve been to Lucques.

2 Likes

I too would skip Little Door and would eat at the bar at Spago or Luques (above Bazaar and Republique (though I do love it there)). I suggest the bar at Spago for your Saturday dinner because the food is excellent, it is less formal, you can walk in and the people watching is insane (we eat there once a week). Plus, you can take a stroll around BH before or after you eat.

Don’t forget, Republique is also great for breakfast!!!

1 Like

Okay, will do. I’m familiar with Suzanne Goin. It probably doesn’t seem like it but I haven’t been to a lot of places.

1 Like

i would add a bang at holbox before or after langer’s for some uni stew, shrimp cocktel, and a shrimp torta.

3 Likes

republique. ask for a table in the back.

You mean that uni stew that is reserved for PorkyBellies only?

1 Like

Settled

Too bad about Aburiya Raku it used to be open Sundays…Shibumi is an alternative. Shunji’s an even better alternative.
Bazaar is very good.

I haven’t been, but isn’t the Jose Andres also at Somni? The few reviews here indicate it’s very good. I have no idea if it fits the budget or if reservations are tough or if it’s romantic…

Partner and I sat at the Republique bar on NYE a few yrs ago. It was cramped but kind of cozy and romantic…

It is. But obviously not in this weather. :wink:

I like Lucques, but I don’t LOVE it (only been few times), and it did feel a bit stiff and stale at my last visit.

1 Like

For AOC, I would be sure to request a table on the patio.

1 Like

It’s nice. For me the ones on the inside bordering and looking at outside are cozier .

Cozy maybe, but I think the patio is more romantic.

I think most people on this board have enjoyed their experience at bazaar but I don’t think it’s something that most of us on this board would go eat at on a weekly/monthly basis, whereas a place like republique is definitely on the monthly rotation for people who live in the area. But since you’re from out of town it’s definitely worth considering.

3 Likes

Did yall hear they’re doing a Paella special event at Bazaar?

2 Likes

Been there. Paella Thursdays. It’s fun! Paella is okay.

1 Like

My main critique is that AOC is very much living on its reputation these days, the food is thoroughly mediocre. Nice patio though.

3 Likes

Ok. First of all, thank you so much for your replies!!! Secondly, we have switched out Little Door for Bazaar. I see République gets more love, but I just love Chef Jose Andres for his humanitarian efforts and that was ultimately the deciding factor. That may sound silly, but I’ve always wanted to try his food and if my $$ can go to support a good human, I’m on board. I’ll try to report back but I am DEFINITELY not as skilled as y’all at describing the food so expect my report to be rather elementary.
Thanks again, everyone!

14 Likes

I would definitely skip Republique if you are looking for something romantic. I don’t consider group seating on picnic benches with a bunch of strangers romantic.

I would suggest Chi Spacca which is very intimate and charming. I don’t eat meat and I love Chi Spacca. People think of it as a meat restaurant, but the fish and vegetables are spectacular. You can sometimes snag last minute reservations, especially at the Chef’s Table, where I prefer to eat.

4 Likes