Critique my itinerary

Okay, will do. I’m familiar with Suzanne Goin. It probably doesn’t seem like it but I haven’t been to a lot of places.

1 Like

i would add a bang at holbox before or after langer’s for some uni stew, shrimp cocktel, and a shrimp torta.

3 Likes

republique. ask for a table in the back.

You mean that uni stew that is reserved for PorkyBellies only?

1 Like

Settled

Too bad about Aburiya Raku it used to be open Sundays…Shibumi is an alternative. Shunji’s an even better alternative.
Bazaar is very good.

I haven’t been, but isn’t the Jose Andres also at Somni? The few reviews here indicate it’s very good. I have no idea if it fits the budget or if reservations are tough or if it’s romantic…

Partner and I sat at the Republique bar on NYE a few yrs ago. It was cramped but kind of cozy and romantic…

It is. But obviously not in this weather. :wink:

I like Lucques, but I don’t LOVE it (only been few times), and it did feel a bit stiff and stale at my last visit.

1 Like

For AOC, I would be sure to request a table on the patio.

1 Like

It’s nice. For me the ones on the inside bordering and looking at outside are cozier .

Cozy maybe, but I think the patio is more romantic.

I think most people on this board have enjoyed their experience at bazaar but I don’t think it’s something that most of us on this board would go eat at on a weekly/monthly basis, whereas a place like republique is definitely on the monthly rotation for people who live in the area. But since you’re from out of town it’s definitely worth considering.

3 Likes

Did yall hear they’re doing a Paella special event at Bazaar?

2 Likes

Been there. Paella Thursdays. It’s fun! Paella is okay.

1 Like

My main critique is that AOC is very much living on its reputation these days, the food is thoroughly mediocre. Nice patio though.

3 Likes

Ok. First of all, thank you so much for your replies!!! Secondly, we have switched out Little Door for Bazaar. I see République gets more love, but I just love Chef Jose Andres for his humanitarian efforts and that was ultimately the deciding factor. That may sound silly, but I’ve always wanted to try his food and if my $$ can go to support a good human, I’m on board. I’ll try to report back but I am DEFINITELY not as skilled as y’all at describing the food so expect my report to be rather elementary.
Thanks again, everyone!

14 Likes

I would definitely skip Republique if you are looking for something romantic. I don’t consider group seating on picnic benches with a bunch of strangers romantic.

I would suggest Chi Spacca which is very intimate and charming. I don’t eat meat and I love Chi Spacca. People think of it as a meat restaurant, but the fish and vegetables are spectacular. You can sometimes snag last minute reservations, especially at the Chef’s Table, where I prefer to eat.

4 Likes

Have a great time and never feel weird about having ethics. I yam Jose Andres and thees ees made in espain

3 Likes

Have fun can’t wait to see the photos!

1 Like

Not at all. Good on you!

2 Likes

Soooo sorry I’m just coming back to this to report but, y’know…life. Anyway, hubs and I had a GREAT time! Thanks for all your suggestions.

Langers-THAT WAS A DAMN FINE PASTRAMI SANDWICH!!! OMG! I don’t even like pastrami so ordered something else. Mistake. I ended up just eating half of the hub’s. Wow! Still drooling. Waaaaayyyyy better than Philippe’s or Katz in NYC. I will go there every single time I’m in LA from now on.

AOC- cocktails: green goddess. Refreshing and bursting with flavor. And, a Caribbean old fashion that hubs enjoyed. Shared a bottle of 2016 white Burgundy Jean Pierre that I loved at the tasting but felt it slightly too crisp to pair as well as I wanted it to. Farmers plate was fresh, the burrata was delicious. Clams: best dish of the night. The sauce was a perfect balance of tart and buttery. Savored every bite! Halitbut: omg melt in your mouth amazing. Usually I prefer a mix of flavors in one bite but the halibut was a stand alone kind of dish. Delicious! Cauliflower curry was good but hubby liked it more than I did. We were seated in the wine room. I think I enjoyed this more than I would have the patio, We had a table with a view of the patio but felt away from the noise and more exclusive. Loved it. Very romantic. Everything was enjoyable. Sage, our server, was excellent as were his choices Would be happy to return and try other dishes.

Yardbird: Bloody Mary sans bacon (I don’t eat pork). I hated it. It was soooo clammy. Switched drinks with hubby as he liked the Bloody Mary. He had a “nothing rhymes with orange” which was a delicious and refreshing drink of cantaloupe, orange, ginger, and carrot. Surprised by how well the flavors mix. Our fantastic waiter Ryan replaced with a Southern Revival. Not sure what exactly whats in it but it for sure had basil and ginger. Super good. Biscuits: light, airy, perfect with the jelly. Deviled eggs: tangy, creamy. Salmon roe added a special touch. Spiced watermelon was yummy. The grits were buttery deliciousness. The pickled onion on smoked salmon avocado toast added extra pizzazz. The hubs loved his fried chicken and waffles. Brown sugar ice cream: got damn. I was SO full but man, was this good. Only had room for a few bites but YUM! Overall, good experience and fantastic service made this a great place for brunch but come here HUNGRY! The portions are huge. You will still box some up and give a homeless person a great meal as well. (we did this with all of our leftovers as we had no fridge and made us feel good to do so)

Bazaar: Capiruna-fun but super strong (and I even ordered it “less strong”). Hubby liked his liquid cherry bourbon. Octopus toast: every flavor perfectly compliments each other. The octopus, the spice of the Serrano pepper and the avocado and greens was a thing of beauty!! I’ve thought about this dish OFTEN since. Probably the best dish of the whole trip. Tuna cheviche avocado roll: good but not mind blowing and felt the tempura flakes were too salty and unnecessary. Not your everyday caprese: the way the liquid mozzarella bursts in your mouth is fun but otherwise, it really is your everyday caprese in flavor. Gully cheesesteak: the cheese has a strong aroma and is a unique combo with the beef. The air bread is light and well, airy. Tempura squash blossoms: loved them but wished there was less fried goodness because I was getting full and did NOT want to get full just yet. I would’ve enjoyed the inside with a sprinkling of tempura more than the whole thing being fried. But, to each his own. Cheese plate had Murcia and manchego (I didn’t take notes on this) Sauteed Shrimp Gambas: solid fish. Could be a little spicier. Nevertheless, it was soooo good. What a fun place! Definitely an experience. Have never had one quite like it before. Other diners talked and even shared some of their choices so it really made for a fun party atmosphere. Very pleased with this choice. And, now I can FINALLY say Ive made it to a Chef Jose Andres restaurant! doing a happy dance

Pizzeria Mozza: This was the antitheses of Bazaar. While I’m SO happy to have experienced Bazaar it is definitely one of those once in a lifetime (or at least rare) events. On the other hand you have this place. I would EASILY be here once a week if I lived in LA. Just good solid food, comfortable atmosphere, and outstanding service! I wasn’t sure how I felt about it not being a Napoli style crust place. But, I was wrong. Dead wrong. That crust is so unique and airy almost like the air bread from Bazaar. I got the squash blossom and burrata pizza and I want to drive the 2 hours to LA right this second just thinking about it. Hubby got the Benno a Hawaiian style pizza and said, “pretty freaking good” so, I guess he liked it lol. We also ordered the insalate tricolore (thanks for the rec!). It seems like it should be boring but its not. There’s a kick to the dressing that just works. Zesty deliciousness!
So, there you have it folks! Thanks again for all the suggestion! Hope this helps someone else in their planning.

Next stop is San Francisco next month to see Hamilton!! Sooo excited! Working on restaurants for that trip now. So, I’ll see y’all on the SF board!

Thanks FTCers!

17 Likes