CUT by Wolfgang Puck - Dinner [Thoughts + Pics]

I wonder what fresh shaved black truffles would taste like on McDonald’s fries well done.

I mean is there anything else going on or is it just truffles on amazing fries? Can I BYOT to Connie and Ted’s, for instance, and sprinkle some on top of their fries?

7 Likes

Thanks @Bookwich, @skramzlife. :slight_smile:

I’m guessing there might be a few things on the menu that might be misses, but other than the OK desserts this last visit (Apple Crumble and Baked Alaska), the rest of the meal was delicious.

I wonder if anyone has tried CUT’s Organic Rotisserie Poussin (Chicken) and if it’s worth ordering. Then again you probably don’t go to a Steakhouse for Chicken. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do want to try the American Wagyu Filet / Rib Eye / Sirloin from Snake River Farms that @TheCookie really liked the next time we’re able to go.

1 Like

Hi @Ns1,

That sounds awesome if you showed up at Connie & Ted’s and just added your own truffles. :slight_smile: For CUT, there was also a subtle shaving of cheese (I forgot what type) which added to the deliciousness of it all. But otherwise, yah it was simple, well-executed, and just great.

1 Like

lmao, lost it at BYOT

How reasonable is the wine list these days? Last I checked the corkage was a pretty hefty $50 (among highest in LA), indicating they really don’t want you to bring your own wine, or if you do, it ought to be a nice bottle.

Do not get this. You will yearn for the chicken that you had at Nomad. No joke.

For poultry, try the rotisserie duck (for two).

1 Like

Hi @ipsedixit,

Thank you for the warning and savings. :slight_smile: Rotisserie duck sounds amazing! I’ll keep an eye out for it next time.

Hi @DTLAeater,

Looks like it’s still $ 50 corkage. The wine list is on their website (I linked it at the bottom of my review), so you can browse and see what the list looks like. Thanks.

They have this. It’s been on my “best budget bottles” list for a while. Even marked-up it’s still a better deal than the $50 corkage.

1 Like

What would y’all say is a sufficient truffle shaving serving for a large fries? 5 grams? 7 grams?

Thanks guys, should have checked website! That Daou bottle is $50-60 retail,
CUT charges $30 / glass and $120 / bottle for it. 2.5x retail seems pretty
typical in LA, even for more expensive bottles (whereas in other cities,
more expensive bottles might only be 1.5x or less, but that is less common
in LA for whatever reason). Anyway, it all depends on how much effort you
want to invest and how much wine you intend to drink.

Cut is the best steakhouse I’ve been to (Luger’s is 2nd). You nailed it on the head with your review. The steak is fantastic but Cut is the one steakhouse that has consistently great side dishes, appetizers and excellent service. The only reason I haven’t been to Cut more is because steak is one of the things I can cook relatively well for considerably less money. The sides are another story. Access to great steaks and dry aged steak in LA is much better than 5-7 years ago.

3 Likes

Beauty of BYoT, when u can’t see the fries…

1 Like

I suppose that is the right answer…

1 Like

0 grams.

Personally I find truffle fries a waste of truffles. And fries.

2 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

I think @Sgee’s answer or @ipsedixit’s answer. :slight_smile: I’ve never tried buying truffles and shaving them at home, so I don’t know how much to say. :sweat_smile:

I’ve only had them a couple of time over soft scrambled eggs. Crazy good.

3 Likes

Actually, my favorite dish there is the bone marrow flan with some mushroom like spread. Don’t tell me they changed the menu :scream::scream::scream:.

The Indian spiced short ribs were great too.

2 Likes

You should try it sometime, very empowering to have the final say on when to stop…

4 Likes

Bring Your Own Truffles ChowHound = BYOTCH

3 Likes