Dear Johns on Culver

This used to be a rat-pack hangout I believe (or at least Sinatra claimed it as a watering hole).

The building is going to be torn down in a couple years, so Josiah Citrin and Hans Rockenwagner decided to make a go of it as a temporary steak joint. They just opened last night and it was big fun. A lot of appropriate and interesting “found” art on the walls. A dark room, with no windows, small and intimate with an old school feel and old school menu of steaks, lobster thermidor, Oysters Rockefeller, sand dabs, creamed spinach, etc. Classic stuff, but done perfectly-right. (I had the rib eye - pan fried with a great crust, and tender interior). The sides were text-book perfect. Service was familiar - much of the staff formerly from Melisse. This could be a cool hangout. If I was single I’d make it a regular place. Now to convince the GF to come once a week -which shouldn’t be hard as she loved the food and feel of the place!

5 Likes

good to hear! I’m going to have to check it out before it gets too popular. Kinda figured this would be right up Josiah’s alley.

0 Likes