December 2016 Weekend Rundown

Kinda like the space shuttle after it re-enters earth’s atmosphere…

It seems like they’re having fun just amusing themselves… and no one else. Good God!

1 Like

Love this place.

Roberta’s, fun set-up! Very festive and the Brooklyn people were really nice and happy to be in L.A.

It was very delicious $10 pizza (great sauce), but charging $3 for four paper-thin slices of pepperoni is a blatant “we’re hip, so they’ll pay” move.

Bee Sting

This would be my favorite pizza place on the Westside if they stayed.

5 Likes

Where were they? Will they be back?

at the platform

2 Likes

http://la.eater.com/2016/11/29/13776760/robertas-pizza-pop-up-culver-city-platform

December 16 Meet-up?

http://www.platformla.com/events/

Hit up Petit Trois. It’s enjoyable, but typically more so than this time around.

The Rose would lovely enough to get things rolling.

Their Simple Salad is literally just fresh lettuces dressed with a pleasantly tangy, acidic and classic vinaigrette. In the moment it hit the spot of just wanting something incredibly simple, green and leafy.

No baguettes put a damper on the meal, though. Instead, thick slices of toasted sourdough, which were good, but so crusty I actually bruised the roof of my mouth trying to take a first bite.

Steak Frites in cognac pepper sauce mostly served to showcase beautifully fried potatoes to dunk in extraordinary sauce: creamy, filled with the comforting glow of cognac while bursting with pepper, and immensely buttery. The steak itself seems to be filet instead of the old rump steak and while cooked with a crispy crust and quite blood inside, it was somehow lacking in flavor to my palate in comparison to the last time I had it, when I thought it was truly spectacular. Ironic since it seems like using a more expensive cut of meat made me feel the high price was less justified.

I forgot to snap a photo of another glass of red wine, but it was pleasant enough. Sadly, no napoleon on the dessert menu anymore. I should have ordered the off-menu lobster thermidor, which looked ridiculously awesome.

All in, $95 and change for this simple of a meal made me feel I was truly mostly paying for atmosphere, and sans-baguette that sense of atmosphere was not particularly high. Of course, food was only about $57 of that, but I still didn’t really leave super happy. I think I would have been if the steak had more flavor, though, real shame.

1 Like

Went to see The Sounds at The Belasco last night so hit up The Stocking Frame on Hill & 9th beforehand.

Cured meat and burrata board

Bucatini pasta

Skirt steak with smoked salsa verde

3 Likes

'Tis the season for hearty meat and pasta dishes! Here is the Sawtellini and beef tenderloin with mushroom demi-glace sauce, from Restaurant 2117. Scrumptious.

3 Likes

What city?

Restaurant 2117 is in Sawtelle Japantown.

Oh shoot. We were just in the neighborhood and didn’t know where to go. Apple Pan was closed and it was during late afternoon closings for Sushi.

The HAT

5 Likes

@wienermobile

Does the cheese get melty enough for you?

One of my pet peeves is cold shredded “cheese” that doesn’t really melt when placed onto something hot.

2 Likes

How about century city?

2 Likes

YES! Very melty!

NICE! thanks!!!

1 Like

Yang Chow

7 Likes

Any must order dishes at Yang Chow? Going for the first time with out of town guests before our gig tonight in Chinatown.