December 2016 Weekend Rundown

Yikes. So what besides presentation was the issue with the dan dan noodles?

@Chowseeker1999: I’m so sorry you didn’t the noodles at Mian! The last (second) time I went was after the LA Auto Show (so a few wks ago). Have to say I was kind of tired and wasn’t paying close attention to the noodle quality. I don’t recall them being particularly mushy, though. Maybe quality control issues? :frowning:

Last wk, partner and I tried Flower Child (the SaMo branch seems to be the only one in the LA area currently) on the weekday and then on the weekend (pics are in reverse chronological order). Good stuff. First pic is the Mother Earth and The Rebel (the wrap). Second pic is the Thai Cashew Quinoa and the Forbidden Rice.

The food is pretty good (although I wouldn’t travel vast distances for it) and not unreasonably priced (esp for the area). Would order all the dishes again, except for the quinoa (unless you were REALLY in the mood for quinoa). Despite having multiple listed ingredients, all I really tasted texturally was the quinoa (everything else seems like it had been sauteed down too much).

Since I have a leg injury, I decided I wanted a quality protein source for lunch. So I choose Wadatsumi. :smiley: Partner got the poke and udon combo, while I choose the wagyu filet mignon combo ($19 and served sizzling in the bowl). We split the octopus ($12). I’ve always enjoyed Wadatsumi (been there maybe 3-4 times), but yesterday I thought it was just outstanding. The filet mignon was SO tender and rich, and the chimichurri sauce was like crack (although the beef needed no enhancement). Green beans were still crisp. Mashed potatoes were unexceptional.

Grilled octopus was delicious, as was partner poke bowl (didn’t have his udon).

A very civilized place for lunch (esp since it’s relatively quiet at that time of day).

Dinner was catered Indian snacks (samosas, bhel puri, and puffed rice) for a friend’s engagement party. Sorry, no pics. :wink:

9 Likes

Probably not, but quiche does contain a lot of egg. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

No need to apologize, it’s not your restaurant. :wink:

I’ve read a few reports that MIAN is pretty on and off.

I think the owner has spread himself too thin; needs more quality control.

Back to Rosco’s after a screening of LION

1 Like

#Terra Cotta
New asian fusion restaurant next to the Wiltern in Ktown. The space is really attractive with huge windows facing Wilshire Blvd, a long bar taking up most of the eastern wall, communal tables, chandeliers, and giants booths. I didn’t care about that, the menu had me at “uni rice.”

Uni rice - hot stone rice with seaweed, salmon roe, caviar and sea urchin
This was served on a hot skillet that crisped the bottom of the rice nicely, it reminded me of a bibimbap with 'nads. The rice could have used some more seasoning though.

Toro Tataki - truffled amazu ponzu, avocado, shiitake salad
This was light and refreshing with the ponzu and shiitake providing a punch of umami.

Grilled Ocotopus - kochujang romesco, korean pickles, roasted garlic
The octopus was tender but pretty bland, you definitely needed the dots of kochujang to go with this.

Tempura Smelts - red onion and cilantro, ama ponzu
Perfectly fried smelts with no greasiness plated jenga style, went well with the ponzu dipping sauce.

Mandarin & Black Sesame - mandarin mousee, black sesame center with shiso scented grapefruit and oranges
This was delicous and perfectly balanced with the acid and sweetness from the citrus.

7 Likes

Thanks for the early report @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: I was curious about this place; not sure what it might turn out like.

Nice pics as usual. :slight_smile: So would you go back?

1 Like

Terra Cotta sounds great. I’m glad you got the Crispy Smelts, because I like to order things with awesome names.

1 Like

Every single dish pictured looks AMAZING.

1 Like

Yes, i would go back to try more of the menu, particularly the squid ink fried rice. I wanted to try it on my first visit but my first bang at POT foiled that plan.

Republique

Two pieces of coconut key lime cuz :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Then french omelette

Broken Spanish

Tostada with a bunch peas and fava beans and pickled carrots

Alcohol

Beets with guajillo sauce :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Tortillas w whipped carnitas fat…sounds better than it tastes, tortillas were good though

Lamb neck tamale

Veal breast birria

Red snapper

Chicharron

De La Rosa

Howlin Rays :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: fuckin wait is getting worse though :triumph:

Chego, these fries were pretty good, they have a wonton wrapper flavor (think they fry in the same oil or something)

7 Likes

The Walker Inn

The Walker Inn from the folks of New York’s Death & Co., is a private bar / speakeasy, hidden within the Hotel Normandie. It really is weird to enter the hotel bar at the Hotel Normandie, past the maddening throng of people, to walk up to a door, press a button and be whisked away to another bar inside the bar. :pensive:

Once inside, it’s slightly quieter, but the Walker Inn has changed from its earlier feel: The space is still quite small (reservations recommended), but now, the crowds that visit are loud, bursting out in laughter and loud yelling (one group sounded like they were holding an impromptu frat party). :expressionless:

They crank up the music as well inside Walker Inn, so I guess this “speakeasy” is now just a more exclusive / private bar.

When we last went, it was a tribute to Chef Alice Waters, with some downright bizarre mixtures (Sorrel, Mushrooms, etc.). This time, it was “Holiday Scoundrels,” and in addition, they’ve established a mainstream Cocktail Menu (with standards on there like a Tiki House Punch, Pina Colada, Daiquiri, and Margaritas. It’s a weird vibe: Are they trying to still be high brow and exclusive with unique fresh produce & fruit-driven drinks? Or are they now catering to the masses?

At roughly $20 per Cocktail(!), their prices are still as absurd as ever.

Ramos Gin Fizz (Plymouth Gin, Cream, Lemon & Lime Juices, Orange Flower Water, Egg White, Seltzer):

This was a very good Gin Fizz, quite balanced, with a huge head of beaten foam. It was fragrant, citrusy and balanced.

Professor Hinkle (Rum, Raspberry, Grapefruit, Orgeat):

This Holiday seasonal drink is named after the villain in Frosty The Snowman. What does Rum, Raspberry, Grapefruit and Orgeat Syrup have to do with this villain? I have no idea. :sweat_smile:

This wasn’t as good. Tart, thick(!), kind of syrupy sweet, it almost tasted like a less thick Smoothie, with Rum. :frowning: It was OK, they were trying something different, but at $20 (before tax & tip) for one drink, you’d hope they’d make something more palatable. My friends didn’t like this drink much either.

Bad Santa (Peppermint Bark Vodka):

And another Christmas Holiday Villain, this tasted like Liquid Peppermint Bark with Vodka. It’s at once, “Ooh! Peppermint!” and also “Blech! Sweet, Candy-like Liquid Sugar Peppermint and Vodka…” (with a strong Alcohol burn finish). :confounded:

Vieux Carre (Paul Beau VSOP Cognac, Rittenhouse Rye, House Sweet Vermouth, Benedictine, Angostura & Peychaud Bitters):

I am not a Vieux Carre fan in general, but my friend liked it a lot. It was quite aromatic due to the Cognac, but definitely on the boozy side (strong alcohol punch coming through).

Manhattan (Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey, House Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters):

This just wasn’t very good. Not balanced at all. :frowning:

Dark & Stormy (Gosling’s Black Seal Rum, Ginger Beer, Clarified Lime, Carbonated):

This tasted fine: The Rum and Ginger Beer were at the forefront, but the Rum was a bit too strong. The Lime helped to add a fragrant, refreshing finish.

Drinks were extremely slow (even when the bar had only 2 - 3 tables at a lull in the evening).

With the extremely loud clientele, a massive list of standard cocktails with a few seasonal ones, and probably the most expensive Cocktail Prices for a standard bar in L.A., The Walker Inn feels like it wants to be some New York trendy hot spot made for… we’re not sure who?

When you’re being charged almost $175 for 6 Cocktails and most of them were either not good, or OK at best, this is definitely not a place I could see myself returning to. :pensive: :frowning:

The Walker Inn
3612 W. 6th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90005

http://www.thewalkerinnla.com/

10 Likes

What the actual fuck…

4 Likes

Trois Familia

The latest in the collaboration series from Chef Ludo Lefebvre and Chef Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo (Animal, Son of a Gun, etc.). When they announced a French-Mexican Breakfast/Brunch casual restaurant concept, I had very little interest in going, especially after reading the menu which sounded like a bad mish-mash of stuff.

I like Animal and Chef Jon and Vinny’s cooking. But this menu just didn’t seem very interesting on paper. We finally decided to try it.

Double Decker Potato Tacos (Lime, Crème Fraiche, Carrot Pico, Jack Cheese):

I think I read this was some kind of weird tribute / homage to a fast food type of taco? Regardless, it was the best dish we ate on this visit. It is a crunchy Taco shell stuffed inside of a soft Tortilla, which is then seared on the flat top to give it a nice browning and crust. The inside is Potato, Carrot Salsa, Creme Fraiche and melting Jack Cheese.

It’s a carb bomb, but it’s crunchy, soft, and it tastes like some elevated late night fast-food type of Taco, just cleaner and better. :slight_smile: We would definitely order this again.

Bean & Cheese Burrito (Garlic Brown Butter, Wakame, Preserved Lemon):

This was OK. It’s a simple Bean & Cheese Burrito, clearly with better ingredients. The Garlic Brown Butter was almost non-existent with each bite, and there was no Wakame to discern either.

Crispy Hash Brown Chilaquiles (Sunny Side Up Egg, Cotija, Salsa Macho):

First, this didn’t evoke “Chilaquiles” at all for us. :frowning: It was a block of Hash Browns, crispy enough, but really greasy. And it was topped with Egg, Cotija Cheese and sitting in a pool of their Housemade Salsa. Perhaps the fact there’s some Cheese and Salsa and that’s why they felt it was fine to call it “Chilaquiles”? :confused:

Either way, it was a greasy Hash Brown, starting to turn soggy from the Salsa and the Egg & Cheese just made it a gooey mess of a dish. This isn’t something we’d order again.

There are more items on the menu, but most of the menu is heavily carb on carb, and from what we had today, outside of the Potato Tacos, the rest of the items weren’t that good. It’s also a touch pricey (as are all of their restaurants), and they add an automatic 18% Service Charge on top of the bill.

Trois Familia
3510 Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026
Tel: (323) 725-7800

Ricky’s Fish Tacos

It had been a while since we last visited Ricky’s. He’s now moved across the street into the loading bay of the Vons Supermarket. And… it is a huge downgrade. There are 3 tiny children’s plastic “tables” (like 1 foot off the ground) for you to stoop over to eat, or just stand and eat.

Ricky wasn’t there, but in the past that wasn’t an issue.

Crispy Fish Taco:

Ricky’s Battered and Fried Fish Taco has been one of the best in L.A. for a while now. But on today’s visit, it tasted… not as good. :frowning:

It’s not bad, but the portion of Fish is smaller, and the batter and crunch was inferior from the great Fish Tacos Ricky used to make when he was there.

It still tasted fresh, but the portion was less, the batter had problems, and it was a bit saltier. We hope Ricky goes back to making them, or he improves his help.

Ricky’s Fish Tacos
Check Twitter for his latest schedule and locations:
https://twitter.com/RickysFishTacos

5 Likes

I sometimes suspect chefs throw things into a menu description to makes the dish sound fancier, but the amount of ingredient used is a homeopathic portion.

2 Likes

No chew, the sauce wasn’t bad or anything, but it was boring. No zing, very mild, no preserved vegetables. It made me sad.

1 Like

Awww man that sucks about Rickys.

Din Tai Fung
South Coast Plaza

There was a two hour wait for tables, but I was alone and so was able to get squeeze into the bar between one very nice, ruddy-faced drunk man and an older couple that ate an impressive amount of food.

Pork Xiao Long Bao

Very good, with a thin delicate skin, but they were lukewarm, not steaming like some of the other baskets. I didn’t care, they were still very much worth eating. Earlier, I had watched the dumpling chefs rolling, folding and filling the dumplings in a glass enclosed kitchen; such impressive skill. The dumplings aren’t as soupy as ROC, but have better flavor. The boy liked them better too. When I asked why, he said, “I don’t know, they’re juicier”. And all he got was take-home leftovers. :slight_smile:

Cucumber Salad

Cold Chinese cucumbers is one of my favorite foods and these were the best I’ve ever had. The sauce was so delicate and the cucumbers were cut so precisely, and were very fresh. Really, this was a great plate of cucumbers.

Pork Chop Fried Rice

Juicy, tender and the seasoning was spot on. Definitely not sous vide, I don’t know how they did it. So flavorful, but I swear it seemed like there was only salt and pepper on the pork. Rice was good quality and also well seasoned. A very successful dish.

I like this place a lot. Service was attentive and friendly. I want Din Tai Fung in West L.A., please.

9 Likes

Some weekend stops…

THRILLIST - FEST OF THE BEST
Hollywood

What a shit show. I got free tickets, so that softened the blow, but it was packed to the gills and not worth the lines. Was excited to have Aqui es Texcoco again without the drive, but both of our tacos were straight fat. Think we just got unlucky. Other highlights… free Sapporo? Oh, the Cava Grill bowl (new location going into Culver City soon) was servicable.

JACK IN THE BOX
USA

I just heard that they had egg rolls, and traffic led me to a deadlock right next to one, and it sounded better than another moveless red light. Alas, I don’t believe that I’ll have another Jack In The Box egg roll in this life. Maybe the next, though.

EKKAMAI THAI
Venice

Got delivery. The Panang Curry wasn’t as spicy/flavorful as previous tries. Same with the Tom Kha. Still, not a bad thai option for the Westside.

THE SHACK
Playa Del Rey

Went for an impromptu burger and got the Shack Burger, which is a regular hamburger with Louisiana sausage atop. Surprisingly great (especially accompanied by a pitcher). I can’t think of a better burger in the area (other than In-N-Out by the airport?).

6 Likes

Nice weekend.

Bizarre about Walker Inn. I’ve only been close ish to opening, so I’ve never experienced the loud environment, but that would definitely sour the experience. And strange about the massive list of standard cocktails. Seems like it’s an off month. Although, the Normandie Club makes pretty dang great cocktails for a couple bucks cheaper, so if the mood in Walker Inn is compromised, it sound like it may not be worth it.

And thanks for the update on Ricky’s! I’ve actually never had it and am planning to go soon. Hopefully it was just an off weekend.

2 Likes