December 2016 Weekend Rundown

Went to see The Sounds at The Belasco last night so hit up The Stocking Frame on Hill & 9th beforehand.

Cured meat and burrata board

Bucatini pasta

Skirt steak with smoked salsa verde

3 Likes

'Tis the season for hearty meat and pasta dishes! Here is the Sawtellini and beef tenderloin with mushroom demi-glace sauce, from Restaurant 2117. Scrumptious.

3 Likes

What city?

Restaurant 2117 is in Sawtelle Japantown.

Oh shoot. We were just in the neighborhood and didn’t know where to go. Apple Pan was closed and it was during late afternoon closings for Sushi.

The HAT

5 Likes

@wienermobile

Does the cheese get melty enough for you?

One of my pet peeves is cold shredded “cheese” that doesn’t really melt when placed onto something hot.

2 Likes

How about century city?

2 Likes

YES! Very melty!

NICE! thanks!!!

1 Like

Yang Chow

7 Likes

Any must order dishes at Yang Chow? Going for the first time with out of town guests before our gig tonight in Chinatown.

Slippery shrimp for sure for some American Chinese awesomeness.

2 Likes

I haven’t been in ages—but I like the spicy wontons (which are gyoza-type dumplings in a red chili broth), and pretty much anything w/ spicy garlic sauce (ex. chicken w/ garlic sauce). Chinese-American standards like beef & broccoli, moo shu pork, kung pao, etc are all decent. The slippery shrimp is a little too sweet for me, although tasty.

3 Likes

Surprisingly good hot and sour soup too. I can def see how the slippery shrimp would be too sweet for some, need to cut it with white rice.

2 Likes

Thank you for the recs @Ns1 and @LAgirl. I’m usually not fond of overly sweet dishes, but I’ll give it a try since no doubt we’ll be eating family style. Sounds like I’ll need to bring some breath mints with me for spicy garlic sauce dishes. :sweat_smile:

Yes Yes Yes! Gloppy and Glorious…

Their Won Ton Soup is nice on a cold night too.

1 Like

The green beans with pork are great. Good hot and sour soup. Very solid renditions of standards like kung pao chicken and sizzling beef and scallops. I also like the egg plant in spicy garlic sauce.

2 Likes

Thanks for more recs, @wienermobile and @Haeldaur. It sounds like I have plenty of tasty options to select from.

Sorry for derailing the thread :smile_cat: Back to your regularly scheduled weekend rundown…

1 Like